Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Do you mainly sew alone or with friends?

Mostly alone on a daily basis but I get together with a group of women a couple a year plus I do a getaway retreat with my sewing buddy to a hotel suite once a year.

I try to get together with my sewing buddy about once every six weeks. My sewing room is set up for "double occupancy" as is hers. So we dont lug hardly anything but the project. I have two cutting areas, two ironing areas, two machine setups and doubles of almost all notions. God I sound like a piglet!

On our sewing buddy days we are usually working on a joint project. Like a couple weeks ago we wanted to learn a new technique so she came to my house and we each made a table runner. One time it was a quilt for charity. Once it was a sewing tote. Occasionally we do help each other when we are "stuck" on a project and are not "getting" it.

I know that I HATE lugging everything to a class or when we started doing this I would lug everything to my friend's house. It was more of a PITA than it was worth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seamstome
    ... I try to get together with my sewing buddy about once every six weeks. My sewing room is set up for "double occupancy" as is hers. So we dont lug hardly anything but the project.

:thumbup: :thumbup: Now that is a great set up. I could enjoy that with a friend. :-D

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty much a loaner in personality so I sew that way as well.

I sew alone...in a house full of people that tolerate my obsession. I wish I had some friends close that liked to sew as much as I do. The things we could come up with! =)

i like to sew and try to quilt by myself because it is my time to be alone and to relax. i will have the tv on, or listen to musicor an audio book etc.JUST NEED MY ALONE/ME TIME WITH NOBODY BOTHERNG ME!!! IT HELPS ME RELAX!!!!!!

I love quilting with my friend ,RosieAKA Ma, she is always there to help me when I am in a pinch. The only thing I dislike is packing to take my projects there. Sometimes I just leave them there until I finish the project.Pa is on dialysis and not doing well. I love them both and this gives me time to help Ma relax and enjoy Pa while God gives me the time. I do sew alone but get side tracked easily like right now. LOL

I sew alone after work or on days off. None of my friends like to sew but they will go to estate sales with me and help me find fabric and quilting gadgets. Whenever my mom and I visit we usually spend some time together sewing. (We are going on vacation and the first part of it will be spent at the Houston Quilt Show.) She lives 3 hrs away though.

Quote Originally Posted by ruth c
    I sew alone. i don't know any one that likes to sew or quilt. I have my radio and just sew sew sew.
    Same for me.

Blog Entries
    I also sew alone with the radio on. I used to sew with a couple of women at the church, we made quilts for giving away. It was always a chore loading everything up and taking it to the church and then back home. Then we all had to have surgery and gave it up. So I just sew by myself and I can sew when I want to. I do miss the friendship though.

I sew alone most of the time, but I formed a sewing circle with three other friends (number's growing) with similar interest in sewing. We get-together at my house (or another friend's) from 10 am, have lunch (I love to cook) at noon, then continue with sewing/chatting until 3 pm. I don't get much sewing done because I have to prepare lunch in between, plus I can't concentrate too much while chatting at the same time. Nevertheless, it is an enjoyable way to share similar interests and get to know your friends better.
    It is also a good idea to start a quilt block exchange.

Blog Entries
    I do both. My sewing buddy, Lynnejean, from this board, get together once a week to sew. I leave my backup machine at her house and also have my main machine set up in my sewing room here at home. I love sewing with Lynnejean, as she keeps me motivated to sew alone! We have learned from each other and have some much fun together. And it gives me more motivation to sew alone at home. We can't wait each week to show each other what we have accomplished! Thank you so much Lynnejean, you have been my lifeline!

The people I know don't sew. My sister sews and we tried sewing together but it doesn't work. We get off on several different tangents and there goes sewing. We will be outside, eating or something else. I like to sew along. Matter of fact even if I am not sewing I like to be alone. It's my quiet time. I put my earbuds in and listen to my MP3 which is loaded with nothng but Yanni.

Alone! No one I know sews. I don't think I'd work well around others anyway. I think it would be fun but probably not very productive for me. I'm easily distracted!

I sew alone, always and forever, I work best by myself, no matter what I do.

I mainly sew alone, and love my time spent doing it, with an occasional pop in from DH to see how I am doing.
    However, on the few occasions when I get the opportunity to sew with my 4 very special sisters-in-law, I jump at the chance because I love that special time spent with them also. I don't belong to a quilting group because I don't like the pressure of having a comittment when my health issues become an issue... like all the time. LOL

I sew alone as well, retired, and DH sometimes has a small job to do for someone. Just puttering around.
    Of course, this board is never far away

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I sew alone....well the quilting board is right by my side:)
    Me too!
    Ditto

I second that, IrishNY! I can't concentrate if someone is nearby and talking and I do like my "alone" time as well.

I sew alone much of the time but also like getting together with my quilting group. We do show and tell, make charity quilts, and learn together.

I do both. I enjoy getting together with my sewing buddy, we motivate each other and help each other out. I also stay at home during week nights and sew alone but not alone, because DH is watching some sport on the tv. He likes to see my progress.

I like to sew in a small group. Our LQS has midnight madness the third Friday of each month and I go to that but it ends up being more social than productive. I have one close friend and two sisters that quilt and we often get together for a day of quilting. Quilting at home is nice too....as long as I have my TV and my diet Coke!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I sew alone....well the quilting board is right by my side:)
    Me too!
    Me three :D:D:D

Sounds like the consensus is alone! (Except for the quilting board peeking over our shoulder). THANK YOU friends for sewing with me!

I like to sew alone, but take my friend along when shopping for fabric....she has a much better eye for color than I do! I really need a lot of alone time.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4