Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you make your own lingerie?

I used to. But it has been a long time.

What is HST? I wanna grin too. :oops:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    With todays undies all you need is a string and a HST! sounds easy to me!
    You said that right....! Funny though....

half square triangle

I'm with the gals that buy at Walmart. I took a class way back when, forget now what I made. And think it was a serger class? Agree that today it would be difficult to find the right fabric and soft elastic to match. I think the panty pattern we used was easy. Just not what I'm into. Rather quilt.

Wouldn't even think of it! I want to look and feel good about myself at all times!

Getting the material became the issue for me years ago. One used to be able to buy two-way stretch for light weight girdles, bras or panties, in various colors with elastic and inserts, lace to match. I did this in the 1960-1970s, with patterns from a company (I think was called "Stretch and Sew" that had swimsuit, lingere and basic classic jackets, skirts and outerwear patterns to follow for quality poly blends fabrics. I make a holding pocket in my bras, to insert a washable shoulder pad (right side mastectomy), held in place by snaps for "replacement" of B-C cup which is considerably less expensive than specialty bras. An alternative, assuming you like the fabric at hand to use, is to cut apart a garment that fits from which to draft a pattern. I did this for a lady last year who wanted extra crouch padding, wider waist elastic in cotton-only knit. Does anyone remember real silk in a pongee or a soft crinkled surface? I recall seeing a set of lingere made with that, trimmed beautifully in lace and embroideried flowers.

While I understand not being interested in sewing panties or clothes or kitchen curtains or anything else for that matter. What I don't understand is thinking that ones you make yourself are somehow inferior. I haven't made any in a long long time because I lost interest in it, but believe me they were far nicer then the cheap crap available at walmart and cost about 1/8th the price.

Blog Entries
    Years ago I did. I took a lingerie sewing class and we copied patterns for several sized panties. I may still have some. I loved making them. I made nightgowns and pjs also, but not bras. Lately, I've been thinking about trying that. If you would like, pm me what size you would need and I will see if I still have a pattern and mail it to you with instructions how we did it. I used to go to mill in Mpls. --name Really inexpensive. Even now, I wouldn't think it would be too expensive. Tricot on the bolt then was 60" wide. You can get a lot of panties out of a yard.

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    no...no desire to do that...

Yes, I have sewn lingerie for over 30 yrs. Took a class in adult ed. The tricot is not difficult to sew on. But nowadays it's almost impossible to find the tricot. I have made panites, slips--full & half. Did a couple bras but didn't like them. Sew Lovely is the company who sold the patterns. By the way, I'm wearing panties that are over 10 yrs old, so it's worth the effort.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    The size of my butt probably takes more than $4 in fabric, so no - I go with Hanes. (Oh, I go for "underwear" not lingerie)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skothing
    I guess I am to cheap to pay $4.00 for a pair of underwear. I am thinking of making my own. Do you make your own ? Do you have any tips on making them?
    Only $4?!?!? I wear Jockey for Her and they are about $6-$8 a pair, but last forever. I can only wear cotton and don't like all that lace stuff. I'm too old to be concerned about looks, as long as my b... isn't falling out and I'm not getting a wedgie I am a happy girl.

Blog Entries
    I make lingerie and bras too. It's easy once you get the hang of it. If you want to know anything let me know. I also can recommend a few books and patterns to get you started.

Diana

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    With todays undies all you need is a string and a HST! sounds easy to me!
    Never, never, ever! It is not going to happen. I wear panties, not strings!

I used to years ago but now only do my nighties for comfortable fit and fabric choice. I wear a one piece for back support from Sears. Couldn't make them for their price and my time involved.

I made a swimsuit once, back in my early 20's. It was beautiful until I got in the water. Then the whole thing was almost see thru. apparently Cotton with a liner isn't sufficient...lol I remember it was a pale yellow gingham check...

Quote Originally Posted by girlsfour
    Who sews to save money anymore anyway?? Isn't it for the fun of it??!!
    Isn't that true!! If I sewed to save money we'd sure be in trouble. I have no idea when it all got to be so expensive, but I figure whatever it costs, I'm worth it. LOL I don't smoke, drink, or drive fancy cars so I ought to be allowed one vice.

I did in the early 70's when it was all the rage to make your own it was about the same time as double knit fabric was becoming popular. the method than was to stitch a zig zag seam and than st stitch. much like seergers do now.
    The fabric (tricot) was 108" wide and came in so many colors you couldn't count them it was very inexpensive the fabric shops carried dozens of kinds of lace and elastic. It was lots of fun to make and wear. Don't know why the fad faded out.

I would never attempt it myself. It would take too much time away from my quilting. Also it wouldn't be something I am interested in making so it would be a job instead of fun.

As the mother of 4 girls I have made a lot of panties and slips. I think they are simple to make and very economical.

Blog Entries
    When we were still square dancing, I made bloomers to match my dresses. I was a big-time twirler, so they showed off. No reason to make something like that anymore. Anyone who sees my bloomers now would roll over laughing till tears flowed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by samsews
    Nope, I go to WalMart.
    Me too, seems the most reasonable around.

Several years ago I lived in Bountiful Utah, I could buy tricot material fo 99 cents a a yard, 108 '' wide, I made panties for everybody in my family, My mom and I made panties and simple nighties galore, everybody loved them, they were simple to make , for the panties we lined the croutch with cotton , same price,I don't have a pattern any more but they should be easy to find, We used simple smalll zigzaz stitches, and the panties fit like panties should, none of this below the belly button stuff. :thumbup:

Not any more, but I used to make underwear for the kids and grandkids as well as myself and husband. They are not difficult to make and you can make them to fit! I made 6 pairs of boys briefs for one of the grandsons who was starting school and he made sure to get another set for his brother and also a set for his cousin who were already in school. They wore them a whole year and they had gotten so tight in the waist that they could hardly breathe, so we cut the elastic off and put on new larger elastic and they wore them another year. Their mom sold them at a garage sale for more than I had in them when they were new! We've had a lot of laughs over that. They wear lots better than the purchased underwear.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast