Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Do you make your own lingerie?

Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    Not any more, but I used to make underwear for the kids and grandkids as well as myself and husband. They are not difficult to make and you can make them to fit! I made 6 pairs of boys briefs for one of the grandsons who was starting school and he made sure to get another set for his brother and also a set for his cousin who were already in school. They wore them a whole year and they had gotten so tight in the waist that they could hardly breathe, so we cut the elastic off and put on new larger elastic and they wore them another year. Their mom sold them at a garage sale for more than I had in them when they were new! We've had a lot of laughs over that. They wear lots better than the purchased underwear.

This brings back many memories. I took a class in lingerie and made my mom several pair as a Christmas present. She loved them so much, she begged for a dozen. She lived in Arizona and the cotton ones were so much more comfortable than the tricot. Also, she was a big woman making it even harder to find her preferred panties. She was still wearing them 20 yrs later. It really hurt her feelings to have to give them up and buy new ones. I was working full time and didn't have time to make her any more.

Many years ago I took a class at the now-defunct Stretch 'n Sew here. It was fun, and I made underwear for myself and my girls. Even learned to do shadow lace. They were beautiful, but I have to admit, I really prefer 100% cotton. No hope for me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    With todays undies all you need is a string and a HST! sounds easy to me!
    Cute

Blog Entries
    Oh my, I love my own custom fitted and well made undies! I've made everything a person can wear from the skin out. Bras are the hardest unless you're small enough not to need one at all.. I have a huge box of tricot in lots of different colors.. My deceased MIL worked for a well known fabric chain forever.. and spent most of her disposible income at the fabric store.. Now that she's gone, I have PLENTY.. I loved slips.. but don't wear dresses anymore.. no need for slips..

Skothing, I worked at a fabric store called Stretch and Sew Fabrics 30 years ago for many years. I taught sewing on stretch fabrics. Beautiful, beautiful fabrics. One of the classes I did was lingerie. We used lovely tricot. You could use single knit fabric also. It is interesting on how you make the crotch all in one piece and slip the panties through. You would have to see a picture to understand. If you use tricot, one yard will make mucho pairs of panties. Use really good quality elastic. It is just zig-zagged on using 3:4 ratio. I made slips, nightgowns, etc and loved it. It really helped having a Bernina cause it sewed on that fine fabric without any skipped stitches. Also, use a 60 needle. It makes a whole lot of difference. Hope this helps.

Peg-TX
    Innova 18"

Quote Originally Posted by skothing
    I guess I am to cheap to pay $4.00 for a pair of underwear. I am thinking of making my own. Do you make your own ? Do you have any tips on making them?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    With todays undies all you need is a string and a HST! sounds easy to me!
    Never, never, ever! It is not going to happen. I wear panties, not strings!
    That style is also known as butt floss.

Ha, ha! too funny. I also made my own, back in the 60 & 70's, but never underwear or bras (although my Mom always made her own bras). Had a group that met once a month for pot luck and a lesson. Once we learned to make a girdle and I loved mine. Light weight, went up past the waist and about 1/2 way to the knee. Soooo comfortable. Don't wear them now, hose come all in one piece! I also made a swim suit or 2 back then. I enjoyed, & still enjoy sewing, just not enough time now.

I think the ball point needles work best. As for me I put lots of lace. No one but DH will see them but I feel better when I wear something like that. Night gowns are sort of my thing. Good Luck.

Blog Entries
    Not since I was a girl and we made our own slips. Of course back then we called them petticoats. Don't want to have to do it again!

No way!

Blog Entries
    I make panties. I sewed with a very talented lady that made costumes that she sent all over the world. All you have do to is use good material and elastic, nothing to it.

about 2 degrees north of H-E-double hockey sticks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    The size of my butt probably takes more than $4 in fabric, so no - I go with Hanes. (Oh, I go for "underwear" not lingerie)
    You make me laugh MadQuilter! "Hanes My Way" all the way!
    :lol: :lol: . However, I would love to learn to make panties just for the heck of it. Like to try new and different things.

I'm Friut of the Loom all the way.

LEATHERFLEA you said it all. But how big would you have to cut a HST to fit someone a size 24??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by skothing
    I guess I am to cheap to pay $4.00 for a pair of underwear. I am thinking of making my own. Do you make your own ? Do you have any tips on making them?
    iI used to make my own but it works out a lot easier and cheaper to buy them than make them. If you want to get a pattern and use T-shirt material and your overlocker for the most part and a triple zigzag stitch to sew the elastic on. A warning is that the elastic will come undone if not stitched properly hence buying is the best and $4 a pair is reasonable because you go through a lot in your life time. Except if you need to redo the elastic at a later date to get more out of the undies that is the best way to go. It is really up to you and your pocket which you decide.

Heaven forbid!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda71
    I make panties. I sewed with a very talented lady that made costumes that she sent all over the world. All you have do to is use good material and elastic, nothing to it.
    You are right with the caveat being someone or thing has shown you how. Once you know the little tricks, it is a "home run."

Banned
    only nightdresses ,sadly as quality has fallen so very badly AND fabric styles my Grandmother wouldn't even consider.

Blog Entries
    I miss having the panties that my Mom made. They were tricot with cotton crotch and I will tell they lasted for years and years and years. Mine finally wore out after 15 or 20 years. I wish we could buy that wonderful tricot now, what I find now is not made that well or that soft.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5