Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you multitask when quilting? >

Do you multitask when quilting?

Do you multitask when quilting?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:38 AM

I watch the soaps and run in and sew a seam or two during comercials. get a lot donr.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 AM

I find that there are 2 ways of multi tasking. The 1st is the everyday housework, cooking, etc. The 2nd is while I'm quilting the TV is on, water bottle by machine & eating chocolates doesn't get any better than that :) :) ::)
Old 09-15-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by east side quilter
I watch the soaps and run in and sew a seam or two during comercials. get a lot donr.
I "LOVE" :) your pink quilt on your avatar !!! Pink is one of my favorites color & that looks so whimsical, great job :)

Chris...Medford, WI
Old 09-15-2011, 04:54 AM

Yes, I multi task when quilting. I have the washer and dryer going and something baking while I sewing and sometimes, I checking the board, too.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:00 AM

Yes!
Old 09-15-2011, 05:06 AM

I think when you work full time you don't have a choice if you want to sew. Sometimes I will go to my sewing room for whatever time I have and try and organice a project to start sewing and usually I have several going at the same time as I'm sure everyone does. We quilters don't know how to start and finish one project before moving on to the next.
Originally Posted by Cagey
I came home from work tonight and put a finished quilt in the washing machine, sewed some small pieces of a new project while waiting for the iron to warm up for another project I'm finishing. Wondering how many others multitask like this.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:31 AM

Well, a normal multitask day for me is doing laundry while cooking a meal and cutting/sewing blocks together for the next quilt - and pressing blocks and clothes that need some TLC before being hung away - so making use of all the facilities at once... yes, multitasking is the only way I get anything done.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 AM

I very recently had an interesting conversation regarding multi-tasking with my middle little. I can't imagine anything else. I'm always doing 3-4-5 things at a time. If I'm not, I get fidgety and feel like something isn't getting done.

Over the years I've tried to get her to "use her time more wisely" and do some multi-tasking but it always throws her off when she tries and NOTHING gets done.

Turns out she's mildly ADD and needs to focus on one task at a time. Very difficult for me to relate because I'm the opposite, but we have fun helping each other with our disorders :)
Old 09-15-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me
Sigh, I used to multi-task, but with age comes tunnel vision. If I try to multi-task I get side tracked and never accomplish anything. One thing at a time...one foot in front of the other...yep, that's the way I do things any more. :roll:
Yeah, I've noticed that when I multi-task, besides being easily distracted, I end up with mistakes and poor quality work. But really, quilting keeps me busy enough that everything else just waits.

Dorothy in PA
Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 AM

I even multi task at work. I bring hand piecing and applique and when it's slow I work on it. Some times I think it's the only way I can come close to completing a project.

FREE Quilting Newsletter