Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Name Your Quilts? >

Do You Name Your Quilts?

Do You Name Your Quilts?

Old 01-02-2022, 03:56 PM

I’ve never named a quilt. But, I will wave goodbye with pride as it goes to a forever home
Old 01-03-2022, 08:12 AM

I usually do come up with a short name for my quilts. I don't follow a pattern too much just name them what they look like to me. Remember, I am a renegade quilter - pick blocks I like to make and put it together however works for me.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:56 AM

I think of them by a distinct name as I work on them, usually just something to do with the color or pattern or who it's for, such as the churn dash or the bird quilt or Lori's quilt. I make labels using my embroidery machine and often include an image or at least an embroidered border. If it's for a baby, it will have the name and birthdate of the child. If it's for an occasion, it will say something like "25th anniversary" and the couple's names and date, and in those cases, it will also say "Made with love by ...". I have never put a quilt's name on one. The name is just for me to distinguish it from some other work in progress when I'm typing with a quilt friend. I like to make quilts for Project Linus, and they (and some other charities) request that no labels be included.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:12 AM

I do not name all of my quilts and usually identify quilts by who I give them too. There are the rare times when I will give a quilt a name but those occasions are rare.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:29 AM

Default Yes and Yes

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
I do not name all of my quilts and usually identify quilts by who I give them too. There are the rare times when I will give a quilt a name but those occasions are rare.
I label finished quilts …I name them after they are completed.

in the label is “Quilt name”
Made for ( some time the reason for making for the gift)
My full name
Date finished

some times it it has taken many years to compete, I even put date began and date finished.

but that is just me….. I am a “Leo”. Lol
Old 01-05-2022, 01:06 PM

I tend to name my quilts based on the block and the fabric used. Like the pink one in my avatar, I named it Butterfly Wings. I made it for one of my grand-daughters, who in her words, lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvves pink! The fabric is glitter butterflies in both a light purple on some blocks and pink on the other blocks. The darker/brighter pink is pink with tiny polka dots and is also the backing fabric.

Last edited by berrynice; 01-05-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Nope, nothing gets a name unless it will come when I call it.
This is my theory. We have a lot of cars. Vintage and specialty mostly. Someone asked me if I name my cars. I was like "Yeah, the Mustang, the Xrunner and the Corvette" lol

My husband did name his 34 coupe. The key tag says "Baby"
Old 01-06-2022, 12:19 AM

I name mine and put it on the label,as well,as the date and who it was made for and from whom.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:18 PM

I do name my quilts ie "Elephants in the Garden" for my daughter. (I had put small squares of elephant fabric here and there) On the label, I add date, quilter(me), city/State. On all gifts, I add a personal note from me to receiver.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:54 AM

I name mine "Done" or "Finished". All kidding aside, I don't name or label my quilts. I sign and date them somewhere on the quilt itself with an archival pen. Mine go to friends and family are are used daily. When they wear out I have others they can chose from.