Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Notify Online Company if your Yard Was only 34 inches? >

Do You Notify Online Company if your Yard Was only 34 inches?

Do You Notify Online Company if your Yard Was only 34 inches?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:06 PM

I made a huge order with an online company last week. I was putting away the fabrics (23.5 yards in total) and noticed that the first yard I was wrapping on my fabric boards seemed short. I measured and it was just barely 34 inches. It turned out that 8 of my individual yards was cut at just barely 34 inches and 2 more at 34.5 inches. Plus, they charged me $5 more than the actual shipping rate. I called and asked to speak with the manager but she wasn't in so I left the information with the employee that took the call.

I don't want to be a difficult customer and cost them a lot of money so I'm not sure what I should be requesting they do (other than credit me the $5 overpayment for shipping). Do I request a small credit for each short yard or have them recut the fabric and send me that with a postage paid slip to ship back the short pieces??
Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

I would sure let them know.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

yes- you should contact them- follow up- send an email to customer service- telling them each fabric that you were shorted on- they will probably have a (talk) to who ever they have cutting fabrics-and issue you a credit of some sort-
the shops i tend to shop with on line most often always cut generous cuts (38-39" per yard)
perhaps they have someone new who is lining up incorrectly on the cutting table- or is left handed and cutting on the inside of the ruler- what ever the reason they need to be aware- and fix the problem- you should not just accept this....follow up-
i worked in a shop for a number of years and we really did appreciate it when problems were brought to our attention- it is hard to fix what you do not know needs fixing.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:15 PM

You most definitely need to let them know. There is no excuse for shorting you on 8 different fabrics. It's not a matter of being difficult, it is a matter of letting the management know they have an employee that is shorting their customers. This is very bad for business. And if it turns out it is the owner, then maybe we all need to know so we can avoid ordering from them.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:16 PM

oh I certainly would let them know!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:20 PM

What if you needed exactly 1 yard...like for a pillow case? Or if you were making a dress and they said 1 and 1/4 yard??? You would be so upset if you were 2 inches short! Lots of reasons to let them know! 8 that I can see from here and the $5.00!!! Go girl! But be NICE and you will probably be rewarded!
Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 PM

of course you should contact them. you paid for things that you did not receive. everyone makes mistakes. i have had fabric cut short at the fabric stores. i usually remeasure while i am there to prevent from making a return trip to get it right.

someone did not measure correctly so the store should correct that for you. overcharging should be corrected also. it's your money that you worked for, so spend it wisely and get what you paid for: that's my motto.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:24 PM

I would think that the company would want to know if it wasn't right. Ask for a credit for the amount they shorted you.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM

On 8 yds that is short 2" each = almost 1/2 yd total. I would let them know.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 PM

I would definitely let them know. They could potentially lose a lot of future businesses from unhappy customers. If no one tells them, they might not realize the problem. Let us know how it goes.