Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? Which do you prefer for wrist pincushion--magnetic or "stick pins into"? >

? Which do you prefer for wrist pincushion--magnetic or "stick pins into"?

? Which do you prefer for wrist pincushion--magnetic or "stick pins into"?

Old 05-02-2019, 07:53 AM

Default ? Which do you prefer for wrist pincushion--magnetic or "stick pins into"?

Greetings, Quilters.

I am thinking about getting a pincushion to wear on my wrist. I googled wrist pincushions, and the primary types seem to be magnetic ones (tend to look like a wristwatch) or ones where you have to stick each pin in (strip of thick felt on a band, or puffy stuffed "pumpkins" on elastic band). I especially want to use the pincushion at my design wall, where there is not a convenient place to set down a pin dish.

With the stuffed pincushions, you have to stick each pin in individually, which seems like it could be awkward at the design wall. Also, many of the advertised pincushions look bulky enough to get in the way of things while in use. (Like they are more for "cute" than "functional.")

I do already have a magnetic pin holder (dish) that I keep far away from my computerized sewing machine, and it works well. But I worry that I might get careless with a magnetic wrist pincushion and set it down it the wrong place, too close to my computerized sewing machine. I also worry that a wearable pincushion's magnet might not be strong enough to hold a lot of pins, and stray pins could fall off onto the floor, only be found with a bare foot.

Any suggestions/opinions/recommendations?

TIA.
...dany
Old 05-02-2019, 08:00 AM

I never used one because I just know I would miss the pincushion and stick the pins in me! I have 2 huge pincushions that I've had for years and they are great for propping up on any flat surface when I need one near.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

I have this one. https://www.etsy.com/no-en/listing/5...on-3002-sewing I use to pin my tops and backs to the leaders on my rack for longarming. I only wear it while actually using it, which is when I am either pinning or unpinning a quilt to the rack. Then I remove it. I love mine. It is very similar to what you described as the stuffed pumpkin but mine the bands are velcro at the ends, no elastic and the cushion itself isn't super large like the stuffed pumpkin ones I found on Amazon. I really can't imagine leaving it on my wrist while doing any tasks other than pinning. It tends to catch on things, especially with a bunch of pins sticking out of it like a hedgehog!
Old 05-02-2019, 09:05 AM

I tried to use one, but found it was in my way more than I needed it.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:15 AM

Hi Dany welcome to the Quilt Board!

I use different cushions depending on what I'm doing and where at, but the ones I use the most are the magnetic dish and or the wrist style. Both came from Harbor Freight and were a lot less expensive than in a sewing/quilt shop. The down sides of these...when I pick up the dish once in awhile I get an odor that reminds me of a garage and the wrist magnet doesn't have any padding on the wrist, but I solved that by gluing a bit of felt underneath. Just in case, here's a link.

https://www.harborfreight.com/magnet...and-61644.html
Old 05-02-2019, 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=danydany;8248441]Greetings, Quilters.

I am thinking about getting a pincushion to wear on my wrist. I googled wrist pincushions, and the primary types seem to be magnetic ones (tend to look like a wristwatch) or ones where you have to stick each pin in (strip of thick felt on a band, or puffy stuffed "pumpkins" on elastic band). I especially want to use the pincushion at my design wall, where there is not a convenient place to set down a pin dish.

With the stuffed pincushions, you have to stick each pin in individually, which seems like it could be awkward at the design wall. Also, many of the advertised pincushions look bulky enough to get in the way of things while in use. (Like they are more for "cute" than "functional.")

I do already have a magnetic pin holder (dish) that I keep far away from my computerized sewing machine, and it works well. But I worry that I might get careless with a magnetic wrist pincushion and set it down it the wrong place, too close to my computerized sewing machine. I also worry that a wearable pincushion's magnet might not be strong enough to hold a lot of pins, and stray pins could fall off onto the floor, only be found with a bare foot.

Any suggestions/opinions/recommendations?

TIA.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:23 AM

I have been a self-employed seamstress for 50 years now and have always used a pin cushion worn on the left wrist. The bracelet part is curved plastic that slips off and on easily and the cushion is a firm pillow about 2 1/2" long. The plastic prevents pins from sticking into your wrist and is so comfortable I have even worn it to the grocery store! I buy them at JoAnn fabrics and when the pins no longer stay in good, I cover it with another fabric that is more firmly woven.
Sharon ve
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM

I have a wrist pin cushion that I removed the plastic wrist band from and replaced with a nice piece of elastic. It fits my wrist better and I use it more. I do not use magnetic pin cushions at all. I have too many computerized machines and I try to keep magnets away from them.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:27 AM

I tried a wrist one and it kept getting in the way of my holding the blocks so I could pin and my wrist was always twisted backwards or in some way that I couldn't get to the pins. I like my pin cushion just to sit by my sewing machine and this one was made and sent to me by a lovely member here on the board.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:17 AM

I have the exact one as shown in Feline's link - and I use it just like she does. In the sewing room, I've got several magnetic trays and they are always close enough for what I'm doing that I've not felt the need to be wearing a pin cushion while sewing.