Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you refuse to buy fabric from shops in your own state?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltilicious
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i think NYers are tired of being taxed for everything and its starting to catch up to you with your business.

NYers pay the highest property taxes in the country.

you can't even buy a sliced bagel in NY without being taxed. if you don't have it sliced there's no tax if you want it sliced they have to charge.

its has the cute name of being called the schmear tax.

it was just a matter of time before NYers refused to shop in there state in an effort to avoid some of the tax burdens they have.
    I can't imagine property taxes being higher than New Jersey, LOL.

of course they are - thats why NYers move to jersey - their money goes further both in price and taxes.

http://www.capnypropertytaxes.com/facts.php
    I guess it depends on how you look at the numbers (and it's amazing how statistics can be manipulated).
    According to this site, http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/1888.html
    NY beats out NJ in Taxes as % of home value, but if you look at Median property taxes paid on homes, NY and NJ share the top 10 slots... and those 2 states fill up the top 20 slots (with one CT county) :)

Either way, we should move to Louisiana, which has the lowest property taxes in the nation

No, but there's an internet store I refuse to do buisness with because I lived close to her store and saw how she ripped people off in the guild when she taught a quilt class.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    We spend winters in southern AL, the region we stay in has the HIGHEST sales tax in the US. (was 9%, they just voted to raise it to 10%) This is a total of state and local taxes.
    Would you be upset with me if I took comfort in the fact that now I'm NOT in the area with the highest sales tax?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    We spend winters in southern AL, the region we stay in has the HIGHEST sales tax in the US. (was 9%, they just voted to raise it to 10%) This is a total of state and local taxes.
    Would you be upset with me if I took comfort in the fact that now I'm NOT in the area with the highest sales tax?
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    NO.
    I never thought about boycotting my own shops because i have to pay taxes. I believe you should ALWAYS shop as locally as possible and help the economy in your own back yard and i have accepted the necessity of paying taxes my whole life. I can not imagine punishing a shop because it shares the same state as me, i think it is a priveledge to be able to shop with them.
    even when i lived in Washington state right across the river from Oregon, i did not cross the river to save on sales tax, i paid my taxes as required by law.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    NO.
    I never thought about boycotting my own shops because i have to pay taxes. I believe you should ALWAYS shop as locally as possible and help the economy in your own back yard and i have accepted the necessity of paying taxes my whole life. I can not imagine punishing a shop because it shares the same state as me, i think it is a priveledge to be able to shop with them.
    even when i lived in Washington state right across the river from Oregon, i did not cross the river to save on sales tax, i paid my taxes as required by law.
    Thank you. It's not like the merchants have any control over the taxes. Ok, well, we do... we get to vote, just as our same-state neighbors/customers do.

(Ummm... I *did* vote, and it hasn't helped lower taxes yet. )

:-(

Do purchase most locally, and not into online. Here Taxes and regulations for everything, sometimes you go, really that too? Try not to get too excited about it, if I can't afford it don't need it that bad.

Yup, I never buy online from NY (or Texas)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by countrymaid
    But NYS residents are suppose to self disclose purchases made and pay the sales tax when filing their NYS Income tax.
    Yeah I wonder how often that happens.
    snort
    California too.
    CA tried a few years back to enforce the 'use' tax on items being brought into CA where no sales tax was paid. A big to-do came about and they abandoned that idea. We're supposed to self-disclose on our state income tax form but I haven't met anyone who does so.

I support small business no matter where they are. We don't have state tax here but we have local borough taxes. I know how hard it is be in business and make a profit--sales tax is not profit--that goes to the correct tax collector. Not the business' fault. Some drive a hundred miles to save a couple of bucks--does not make sense to me.

Nope, I just order what I want. We do have a state law that states we are supposed to report online purchases from out of state and send the appropriate sales tax in to the state. There is a fine if you don't, sounds very strange to me.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltilicious
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I can't believe this area beat out downtown Chicago when they raised their taxes. Actually Chicago lowered theirs at the same time, proving that some politicians have brains....

I shop locally. My state doesn't have a sales tax, but that really wouldn't matter anyway. I would still want to support my local shops.

(As for the no sales tax, rest assured that we don't neccesarily have it 'easy.' We pay EXTREMELY high property taxes and car registration taxes compared to other states.)

I try to buy locally too. We go on road trips and have never refused to pay for something because of the local taxes. That's out of control of the person selling.

I understand shipping charges, but I do not understand a "handling" charge though on buying online. Stores don't charge a "handling" charge when they bag your items or help you find something. Some of the local quilt stores here have very nice bags for your purchases - nice enough to save and reuse as project bags.

Just wondering if any of you make it a point to refuse to buy fabrics from online shops that are in your own state... so that you don't have to pay sales tax?
    I never pay a sales tax on anything! I live in the wonderful state of New Hampshire. :-)

Blog Entries
    I'm in Oregon too, and because of the lack of a sales tax, business and property taxes are through the roof...that gets passed onto the consumer...Oregon is one of the most expensive places I've lived!
    (I'm SO ready to move out of this place!!!)

***Edited to add*** NOT that Oregon is THE most expensive place one could live....just that it's the most expensive place *I* have lived!! ;)

Of course, after bragging about not having to pay sales tax, before we sold our home, we paid pretty high property taxes. However state governments need money to run the state, so whether they levy a sales tax, a property tax or any other kind of tax - we should realize that if we expect all the services we should be willing to pay the tax!!!

Blog Entries
    About self-reporting out-of-state purchases
    Quote Originally Posted by CorgiNole

We are supposed to do that in NC as well. There is a formula to use based on income, or you can attempt to document it if you are paying less than what the formula says. I don't know how accurate people are with it.
    I don't know *what* to think about this. I mean, how do you document what you DIDN'T spend?

(Your honor, I have a witness! My husband can testify that I did not go out-of-state to purchase anything the entire month of August, and my computer was broken so I couldn't buy anything online. And my mailbox got knocked down, so I couldn't purchase anything by mail-order either. That's right, the car needed fixing so I couldn't even drive the outgoing mail to the Post Office. You know they won't deliver or pick up if there's no mail receptacle. Oh, yes, it's true, my telephone line fell down and the phone company has not been out to fix it yet... and the baby flushed the cell phone down the toilet so I couldn't order anything by phone either. )

Sorry. My imagination runs wild sometimes...

Just wondering if any of you make it a point to refuse to buy fabrics from online shops that are in your own state... so that you don't have to pay sales tax?
    I have never bought fabric on line but there are certain shops locally that I refuse to shop at either because they have cheated me on fabric or they are just not nice people.

As far as on line I have heard from women that they have been cheated quite a bit and didn't get the yardage they ordered.

No because the shipping costs are more than taxes. And in NY state the taxes are less if you are using the fabric to make a garment. Interesting no one ever asks this question in a fabric /quilt fabric store. I make plenty of quilted garments... but even if I bring it up they just look at me like they really wish I had not brought it up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    No because the shipping costs are more than taxes. And in NY state the taxes are less if you are using the fabric to make a garment. Interesting no one ever asks this question in a fabric /quilt fabric store. I make plenty of quilted garments... but even if I bring it up they just look at me like they really wish I had not brought it up.
    It may well be true that they wish you hadn't brought it up... because they may not know what to DO about it!

It's one item, that can be taxed two different ways. That's kind of a nightmare.

Why does NY make everything so HARD?

I shop in person mostly. I like to see things up close and I know pictures are never true to the real color. That's not to say I won't buy something online if I like it. Now, I also live in a tax free state. Delaware even goes so far as to advertise "The home of tax free shopping" to lure in customers from PA, NJ, NY, MD. So as far as I know, I still don't pay tax if I'm online, because the transaction takes place in DE. I may be wrong, maybe I just haven't noticed. When I shop in other states, I know there is a tax but it doesn't stop me from buying it.

Blog Entries
    I do shop in my own state, our state needs all the help it can get!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I shop at local LQSes and Joanne unless I run across a fabric online that I can't get there.

I purposly look for sellers from my state on ebay. I don't mind paying more they are my neighbors.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast