Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Do you think I am being too hard on myself

Don't be so hard on yourself, I've been at this for 45 years and there are times my corners still do not always meet. You can fudge them a bit if you nest the seams (one seam toward you and one away) and pin on both sides of the seam, then tug just a bit as you stitch the joining seam and they will usually submit.

Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    I am in the process of making my 4th quilt. It's going to be a bagello. I noticed when I ironed the 4th row, that a few of my blocks are off just a smidge. You don't notice them from just looking at it, but, close up, I can see them. They are not off very drastically, and I am going to be tying this quilt. I was going to rip it all out, and my husband says "no one is perfect and no quilt is perfect". He also said that it is being made with love and following through and finishing is better then tossing it in a corner
    You are forgetting to stand ten feet back or then ride a fast horse past it.

Your DH sounds like a wise man with alot of heart and soul!

As others have said, been there, done that! If you really enjoy what you are doing, keep trying, and remember that there would have been a time that you may not have noticed that it did not line up perfectly, so that is progress. Just move on to the next row and pin as you go and match the points and seams for each block and if one doesn't match, at the point of pinning, you can correct the row before you sew. Good luck, and just know that like all other things in life, practice is what it takes.

Isn't it the Amish who purposely quilt in a mistake to remind them that only God is perfect?
    NainciefromWyoming

THeres that hoarse again. He sure travels alot.

Quote Originally Posted by bsktkeeper
    THeres that hoarse again. He sure travels alot.
    Your all making me laugh with this horse! Such a good morale you bring to not only me, but, others on this board as well.
    I made a post and mentioned I had added other row, I went very slow, and pinned and re pinned and it came out almost perfect, with the exception of 2 very very small places where I was off by such a tiny amount, I needed my readers and had to look at it close up. I had a very productive day yesterday and of course another today. Thank you all!! Can't tell you how much all these posts mean to me

Aren't we all too hard on ourselves? If quilts have to be perfect (although I have seen quite a few), I am quiting right now. Notice how perfect my spelling is. lol

Dee
    Listen to Dh. We all are too hard on ourselves.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Your quilt will be beautiful, and yes you are to hard on yourself. Your husband is so right.
    God bless.

Blog Entries
    As we say in England "A Blind man on a galloping horse wouldn't see it"---it's probably the same saying for you too

When I was in class for bargello the instructor said as soon as you notice you are off start fixing it 1/8 inch at a time as you keep going. It worked! 1/8" over 8 inches is an inch and I am sure you are not that far off! Keep going.

We are always hard on ourselves!!! When you did the strips for the bargellos, did you alternate when sewing strips. For examle, when you sew your first 2 strips together, reverse directions for all the other strips. In other words, when you finish the first 2 strips, cut the thread, but do not start at the top again.

Hugs

Helen

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4