Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do you wash a gift quilt before giving?

With 2 cats and 3 permanent dogs and who knows what fosters in the house, I always wash before I give.

I don't watch my quilts . this is every one choice.
    shirleyt

Up until this year, I would have to say no I did not. However, the one that I made for Jim's youngest brother, I did wash as I had allowed the cats to nap on it and I used chalk to mark the lines and wanted to make sure that it all came off.

I'm another of those who want to make sure the thing doesn't fall apart on the first wash! It also reassures the giftee that she can wash and dry it without problems if I've already done it once.

Bev
    It depends. I just finished a queen size for my grandson. It's made entirely of batiks. I'll be washing it before I give it to him because when I prewashed all the batiks, a couple pf them ran. I was careful to rinse and rinse again with vinegar until they no longer ran, but I want to wash the whole quilt with a "Color Catcher" sheet just in case. If the sheet turns very dark, I'll know the quilt needs to be rinsed again. Although I doubt it will, one can't be too careful.
    Other than that, I usually don't wash because like others on this thread, I like the new, crisp look. 8-)

Bev
    [/quote] I wasn't happy with a SITD on one of my quilts and a friend told me to wash it. That made all the difference in the world to me as far as my quilting was.[/quote]

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an SITD?
    I thought I knew all the abreviations but this one stumps me.

:?: :?:

SITD means "Stitch in the ditch."

That's so funny because I did a quilt with SITD and when I turned it over, there was an obvious crease where my backing must have bunched up. I too went ahead an washed it and I couldn't even find the mistake afterwards.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for starting this topic. I'm to the point that I was about to ask the same question. I'm ready to give a baby quilt as a gift and was questioning if I should wash it as well.

Does anyone put anything in the wash to set the colors? Retayne, vinegar etc. Would someone explain what they put for washing instructions? One more question-my color grabber has already turned dark, how do I know it is working?

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty critter
    SITD means "Stitch in the ditch."

Thanks I should have known that one! :oops:

Bev
    My educated guess is that if your color catcher sheet has turned dark, it's working. That's what I've always assumed.
    But I'd go ahead and rinse with a little vinegar to be on the safe side. 8-)

I always wash my quilts before giving them as gift. I like the crinkled look!

Quote Originally Posted by Wine Woman
    Thank you for starting this topic. I'm to the point that I was about to ask the same question. I'm ready to give a baby quilt as a gift and was questioning if I should wash it as well.

Does anyone put anything in the wash to set the colors? Retayne, vinegar etc. Would someone explain what they put for washing instructions? One more question-my color grabber has already turned dark, how do I know it is working?
    I wash in cold water on delicate setting. I learned from this board to use the fabric color catching sheets in the first wash. Never had a problem, but it is a good idea. I also enclose the washing instructions with the gift.
    I only use the color grabber once and toss it. If its dark it worked.

Fox
    I was about to ask the same question!

Blog Entries
    YES!!! I always wash the quilt before giving it, that way if anything unfortunate happens i'm the one who gets it not the recipient.
    and i wash it however i believe the recipient will care for it...not as if its a fragile heirloom (unless of course it is)
    if it is a quilt for a child which will receive frequent washes i throw it right in in warm water, and toss it in the dryer. if colors run, or any seams come apart i catch the problem before the recipient has to be upset and wonder what now...

I always wash before giving as a gift. I hand quilt and need to make sure all the marking are out and oil from my hands. I do, however, always wash my hands before quilting or doing applique. Makes me feel better.

I don't prewash my material NOR the completed quilt. I like the crisp look!

I always prewash, for the same reasons already mentioned, plus, I use adhesive spray basting which needs to be washed out.

Quote Originally Posted by vjengels
    I always wash mine before giving; God only knows what might be lurking on the poor thing by the time I'm done! It's not as bad now that the cats have all passed on... but I quilt where ever can, inside, outside....so far, I've been able to manage to to keep food away ..... hmmmmm cookies & quilting, just sorta go together......
    Cookies go with everything.
    :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Baird
    I always pre-wash my fabric but not the finished quilt when giving it as a gift.
    Same here!
    I do include care instructions.
    I figure if I prewash a baby quilt, Mom is going to wash it anyway.

I always wash...gets the loose threads and any leftover markings out, gives it that 'quilt look', and leaves a fresh smell, etc. all those great reasons.
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

Blog Entries
    A friend of my doesn't wash the quilts she give but she does give a color catcher with it. That seemed like a good idea to me so I do the same thing. :-D

I do if they have lain around for some time, before I got them finished. To make sure they have a freshy smell.

Also a good way to see if it is gonna hold togeather ;)

I pre-wash all my fabrics before starting and the iron before cutting. This was instilled in us during each quilting class I've taken.

At one quilt shop a lady told me she doesn't wash any fabrics - that today's fabrics don't need to be washed. Not sure I agree with that.

I don't wash, but I do include washing instructions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast