Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doc says wash you fabric wash your fabric wash you fabric >

Doc says wash you fabric wash your fabric wash you fabric

Doc says wash you fabric wash your fabric wash you fabric

Old 07-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

Is this making you all as sick as it is making me? I just don't understand the need for these chemicals...
Old 07-09-2011, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I have washed precuts but I have never bought a precut square before today...I got them when I signed up for Keepssake quilting. I also have been wearing white gloves for my last quilt I just made...I was amazed to see how dirty they got. And that was washed fabric....
WOW, I too have wondered why my quilting gloves get so dirty and I also prewash all my fabric. Well now I know.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee
I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment. Are you saying that you think that the government is responsible for the use of formaldehyde in the manufacturing process? The government has regulations to try to minimize the impact of its use.

Originally Posted by BigDog
Did Doc recommend with or without soap? When I prewash, I don't use soap. Guess I never thought about it before.

It's downright amazing the junk we're exposed to these days. Nanny government.
i don't know if either of you is old enough to remember this, but years go you couldn't walk into a fabric store without your eyes burning up. that's how bad the formaldehyde was. whatever there is now is a VAST improvement on what was. a great deal of progress has been made as more has been learned about the effects of chemicals in fabric.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:42 PM

The formaldehyde is used in the manufacturing and is intended to wash out (and yes it does). That's why it's allowed in fabric. I always wash clothes before wearing for that reason.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:59 PM

I know when I handle fabric a lot at work my hands get really dry and such. Cracked and hurting. Burlap really is bad on my hands. I wash my hands asap after dealing with it.[/quote]

I itch just thinking about burlap. I worked in fabrics at WM about 25 yrs ago and I couldn't cut it. Had to find someone to cut it for me. I also had bronchitis 3-4 times a yr. Doc said that was also fabric related from the lint. Another reason to wash.
Robin in TX
Old 07-10-2011, 03:46 AM

I wash everything that comes into this house imediately. I buy a lot of fabric 2nd hand, and don't know where it's been. Plus I buynew, and you can feel that there's something on it.

Reason #2 When I want to shop my stash for something it is ready to cut and sew.

In my humble and new quilter opinion, there is no valid reason not to wash your fabric before handling it.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:20 AM

In order for the fabric to be shipped to the U.S. it has to be treated with a chemical that will kill bugs and such that we don't want in this country. I worked in a store where we had quilts and pillow cases and such made in china because of course cheaper labor, but it has to be treated to come back into the country. At times the chemical smell was so strong I coudn't breathe. I purchased a quilt that had to be returned because after trying 5 differenmt products in the washing machine the smell was still there. That is when I started making my own quilts. No way was I going to give my grandchildren something that could make them sick. So, to say the government is involved yes, they are, but they are doing it for our own good in the long run? If, they would have kept the business' here in the first place we wouldn't have these problems.

Suzy
Old 07-10-2011, 07:26 AM

For those that prefer not to wash their fabric, setting the fabric outside for a while should help dissipate the formaldehyde. You don't want formaldehyde in your home.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Thanks to all for this fascinating post. And to whomever made the comment about formaldehyde in carpet...thank you. We have been considering replacing our carpeting in the house, and now I think we will have to consider something else...I wonder, do they make carpet from organic fibers...and no chemicals? Will have to research this...

I recently picked up a MaryJane's Farm magazine...in the current issue there is an ad for Organic Cotton Plus...an all organic fabric company. Now I've NOT investigated their web site nor if their fabric has chemicals on it, nor what their prices are....but the web site is
www.organiccottonplus.com...if any of you are interested.

oh yea, the ad says free shipping in the USA....that's cool!!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
Thanks to all for this fascinating post. And to whomever made the comment about formaldehyde in carpet...thank you. We have been considering replacing our carpeting in the house, and now I think we will have to consider something else...I wonder, do they make carpet from organic fibers...and no chemicals? Will have to research this...

I recently picked up a MaryJane's Farm magazine...in the current issue there is an ad for Organic Cotton Plus...an all organic fabric company. Now I've NOT investigated their web site nor if their fabric has chemicals on it, nor what their prices are....but the web site is
www.organiccottonplus.com...if any of you are interested.

oh yea, the ad says free shipping in the USA....that's cool!!
Its not necessarily formaldehyde in carpet, but the voc's (volatile organic compounds) Those come from the adhesives to adhere the face of the carpet to the backing, and sometimes from the backing itself depending upon its makeup. Whenever purchasing new carpet to be installed request that it be opened to offgas 24 hours before installation. Make that a condition of the sale, or if you can't plan on a hotel or visit somewhere else the first 24 hours since that is when the gasses are released. Formaldehyde is in all particle board so never let that stuff (often the base for plastic laminate) into your house, it never completely goes away. I have regularly dealt with these issues for many years for my clients (I am a retired interior designer) and am glad this discussion is on the board.:)