Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else here use an Aunt Becky's finger protector for hand quilting? >

Does anyone else here use an Aunt Becky's finger protector for hand quilting?

Does anyone else here use an Aunt Becky's finger protector for hand quilting?

Old 06-02-2009, 01:52 PM

Diamonds, I love to hand quilt, and I guess I use the rocking technique. I recently tried Aunt Beckys and I couldn't get the hang of it, my needle kept slipping off of it and my stitches were huge because of it. I guess with practise I would figure it out, but it is hard to make myself do it that way when I can do so much better without it. The reason I wanted to try it, is that I am so slow, I thought if it really does speed up the process, how great that would be. I also needed relief for my fingers getting so sore. What I have been able to use is a spoon underneath to do the basic same thing as Aunt Becky. Jinnie Beyer suggested that. For some reason my needle doesn't slip off the spoon. It is somewhat faster than using just my finger underneath but I don't see me doing a queen size quilt as fast as you did, anytime soon. If you have any hints on what I might be doing wrong, please share. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I've tried it before, but I am used to feeling the needle with my fingers, I switch from one to the other . I've tried several things over the years, but always go back to pointer!! :D

Ninnie
Old 06-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Yvonne
I have one but haven't figured out how to use it yet. When Jean Brown demostrated it it looked so easy! :mrgreen: Ha! More practice is needed.

Any suggestions?
I went to the Grass Valley quilt show and had Jean show me how to use it and I just can't get the hang of it. DH says that I move my needle. I'm not sure if my problem is practice or mind set.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Yvonne
I have one but haven't figured out how to use it yet. When Jean Brown demostrated it it looked so easy! :mrgreen: Ha! More practice is needed.

Any suggestions?
I went to the Grass Valley quilt show and had Jean show me how to use it and I just can't get the hang of it. DH says that I move my needle. I'm not sure if my problem is practice or mind set.
Martina, I'm so glad to know I'm not alone. I have owned that gadget for years and talked with Jean Brown at the quilt show in Eureka two years back. It seems so absolutely clear when you talk with her! So easy! I've still not "got it." I've not given up hopes though. Periodically I'll get that thing out and give it a try and then put it away again for another day! :?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:10 PM

Hmmmmmm, very interesting!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:22 PM

I use an Aunt Becky finger protector but I use it the same way as I would use an 'under finger'. After watching the video of the way Jean Brown does it :shock: I think that I will give it a try!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM

I've got one & have used it successfully when I'm doing straight stitching...but when I'm hand quilting a design like a rose or something curved.....I really can't get nice even stitches. Maybe with ALOT of practice I could, but that's probably not going to happen in this lifetime. It is a neat little invention though.....
Old 11-06-2009, 05:40 PM

I'd love to try one...but think qubby can make me one for less than $5
Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Power Poster

I have one and have tried to get the hang of it. I saw Jean on one show where she used a hoop that sat on her lap. It looks so easy when she does it, but I feel like I am all thumbs when I try.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:52 PM

I have one too, but guess it must take a lot of practice. Somehow, I guess I must like the feeling of pricking my finger under the quilt? Maybe I'll make a resolution for 2010 to put in some practice time.

Renee