Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Does anyone have a "squeaky" Janome?

  1. #1
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663

    Does anyone have a "squeaky" Janome?

    My Janome (Memory Craft 5700) has the most irritating squeak, that is almost constant when I'm doing fancy stitches, the ones that cause the tension arm to move. It gives me a headache and ruins my sewing experience.

    We already checked the belts and they are like new. Hubby took them off and to the sewing machine store and the tech agreed they were fine.

    We thought maybe it was the plastic cog that turns back and forth on the tension arm since the noise seems to originate from the top middle of the machine, he put more of the friction grease on there (the same as was on it orignally) and that did not fix it.

    Does anyone have other ideas?

    It is a 10 year old machine but was new in a sealed box when I bought it, and I've only been sewing sporadically for about 2 years, so I don't think any major part could be worn out yet.

    I've searched online and youtube for info about the machine, and this issue, but it's slim pickings.

    I've searched the Janome web site also, again, slim pickings. I wish I could at least find a breakdown of the interior of the machine.
    :-)
    CAS

  2. #2
    Junior Member Taino Jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    203
    Yep, my year old Janome has a squeak. Took it to the dealer for annual cleaning and mentioned it. They cleaned it and checked it out and it is still squeaking. Have an appointment to take in again next week. Hope we can fix our machines
    Rules of Life:1-Don't take anything personally 2-Integrity of words and deeds 3-Don't make assumptions 4-Do your best

  3. #3
    Super Member Raggiemom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,589
    Mine doesn't squeak but it does hum. After a while, it gets too annoying so I turn off the machine!
    Heather

  4. #4
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    Does it get worse the longer you use it?


    Quote Originally Posted by Taino Jan View Post
    Yep, my year old Janome has a squeak. Took it to the dealer for annual cleaning and mentioned it. They cleaned it and checked it out and it is still squeaking. Have an appointment to take in again next week. Hope we can fix our machines
    :-)
    CAS

  5. #5
    Senior Member luana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    656
    I returned my first 7700 because it had an annoying squeak. No questioned asked, I got a new one in the box. I was told that Janome guarantees satisfaction. There are times when I think my new machine squeaks in the same way. I could almost become obsessed with it, so I turn up the music and pretend I don't hear it. I can't pinpoint the origin of the noise.

  6. #6
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    Yes, I do not like it. I have no dealer, bought mine on ebay. The local store charges $160 for a tune-up. I think my DH can do better than that if we can just figure it out.


    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    Does it get worse the longer you use it?
    :-)
    CAS

  7. #7
    Super Member Crafty1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,321
    Blog Entries
    1
    My Babylock Espire had a squeaky, humming noise towards the end of last year, finally took it to be serviced in June and mentioned it to them, and it did need oil! Glad I stopped using it for six months or else he said I would of needed a new part. So maybe yours need oil?

  8. #8
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    I think I would have to put earplugs in to continue sewing. Then I can't listen to Pandora!

    Quote Originally Posted by luana View Post
    I returned my first 7700 because it had an annoying squeak. No questioned asked, I got a new one in the box. I was told that Janome guarantees satisfaction. There are times when I think my new machine squeaks in the same way. I could almost become obsessed with it, so I turn up the music and pretend I don't hear it. I can't pinpoint the origin of the noise.
    :-)
    CAS

  9. #9
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    My 9000 had a bad squeak. I had to take it back twice. They used a heavy duty lubricant and it stopped. But, I was warned it could be a sign of my needle bar going. So far, so good and the squeak is gone. But, yes, it was very irritating.

  10. #10
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    Do you know where they lubed it? Where is the needle bar? This squeak will drive me nuts, it's loud, and I'm worried if something could break. I'm hoping not to have to take it to a tech, can't really afford it. Funny, my hubby is an automotive tech, works on extremely complicated machines worth thousands -- he should be able to help. He probably can if he takes the time to do it. My machine will not run unless there is thread in it, and he doesn't sew. That is part of the issue. I have to be there to rethread it and "sew-check" it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    My 9000 had a bad squeak. I had to take it back twice. They used a heavy duty lubricant and it stopped. But, I was warned it could be a sign of my needle bar going. So far, so good and the squeak is gone. But, yes, it was very irritating.
    :-)
    CAS

  11. #11
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    The no oil machines still need oil. There are on oil holes so it has to be open to oil the parts with a lube product made for the non metal parts. You need to find out where the squeak is, that part needs attention. Like when your car brakes start squeaking. Something is touching something.
    Got fabric?

  12. #12
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    Do you know where they lubed it? Where is the needle bar? This squeak will drive me nuts, it's loud, and I'm worried if something could break. I'm hoping not to have to take it to a tech, can't really afford it. Funny, my hubby is an automotive tech, works on extremely complicated machines worth thousands -- he should be able to help. He probably can if he takes the time to do it. My machine will not run unless there is thread in it, and he doesn't sew. That is part of the issue. I have to be there to rethread it and "sew-check" it.
    Do you have a warranty left on your machine? If so, letting your husband play with the machine, will void it. The needlebar squeaking on my machine was inside the head where the needlebar met the shaft. But, that may not be your issue at all.

  13. #13
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    It does not have warranty. It's 10 yrs. old, but new out of the box for 2 yrs.
    :-)
    CAS

  14. #14
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    I have to find a schematic to see where the tech would oil it. The book says to never oil it.

    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    The no oil machines still need oil. There are on oil holes so it has to be open to oil the parts with a lube product made for the non metal parts. You need to find out where the squeak is, that part needs attention. Like when your car brakes start squeaking. Something is touching something.
    :-)
    CAS

  15. #15
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    The user manuals may tell the consumer not to oil it, but service manuals for technicians are different things. Typically, if the machine does need lubrication, it's in areas they don't want you opening up. That's why most manufacturers recommend yearly servicing as they don't want just anyone with a screwdriver opening the guts of the machine and possibly ruining the electronic components and voiding the warranty. If you have no warranty and you feel comfortable with your husband doing this, then he should probably be able to narrow down the squeak.

    If my squeak ever came back, I'd probably try to fix it myself too as my machine is now over 13 years old and also has no warranty left for that kind of issue.
    Last edited by Candace; 07-06-2012 at 11:25 AM.

  16. #16
    Junior Member QuiltingQueen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SCF WI
    Posts
    186

    I won't be oiling mine!

    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    I have to find a schematic to see where the tech would oil it. The book says to never oil it.
    My tech told me never to oil my machine as it gums it up. He told me the oil would do more damage then good.

  17. #17
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    My husband fixed my machine up like new! He opened it up and cleaned all the dust and lint out (there wasn't much since we had both done that before) and oiled everywhere there was an oil port with sewing machine oil (sewing machine oil does not gum up). He cleaned the old grease off the gears and put new lithium grease on them. He's an auto tech so I guess he knows what the gears and spots to oil look like without a schematic although we did look for one for a month before he messed around with it.

    He found the squeak that was driving me nuts!! The big belt that goes up to the hand-wheel was too close to the wheel and it was rubbing on the back of it. He loosened the set screws on the lower shaft and pushed the pulley in a smidgen to adjust the shaft so the belt wouldn't rub at the top.

    If you take the belts off to exchange them make sure to use a permanent marker to mark a line across the end of the shaft and pulley so you can align the marks when you put the belt back on. I didn't have to replace my belts, they are like new. Hubby wan't sure so he took them to the sewing tech to buy new ones. The tech said they were like new and didn't need to be replaced. So, back home, after a bit of adjusting to set the timing right DH marked the shafts. Now we're set for next time.
    :-)
    CAS

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    15
    Remove the bobbin, put a tiny drop of machine oil or lubercent in small opening at the bottom of the bobbin case. My dealer did that for my 11000 that was making a noise.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    269
    My MC 6600 was squeaking too, I did the same thing as naosew, put a drop of oil on the wick in the bottom of the bobbin case and it stopped immediately.

  20. #20
    Super Member CAS49OR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,663
    Someone told me about oiling the wick below the bobbin before, and I did that. My squeak was coming from the top, I'm so happy he found it and fixed it!
    :-)
    CAS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.