Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric?

My husband complains if I want to spend money on fabric, if it's only $5.00! I have to sneak it in so he doesn't get mad. Does anyone else have this problem?

Not I, as a matter of fact my husband helps me pick out fabrics to work with.

Mine doesn't get mad, but he certainly rolls his eyes... and I do *not* spend large amounts on fabric when he's with me. He doesn't get mad, but I don't want to hear it!

CRH
    My husband enables my habit, and goes around the shop finding fabric that might fit my project!!! Want to borrow him for a shopping trip????????? Just Kidding!!! (about the borrowing part!)

No, quite the opposite, mine encourages me and is always interested in what I buy!

Nope, I'm the one with the guilty conscience. :)

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barb_quilts
    Nope, I'm the one with the guilty conscience. :)
    me too :roll:

Blog Entries
    I have to say Sylvia mine is the same as yours. Mine just doesnt get it. He always say you can just go buy a bed in a bag for 40$ why do you need to spend all that money on a quilt What I do is buy 1 yard here 1 yard there. Doesnt make for a good amount if you want to plan a quilt but it makes nice scrappy quilts
    One day maybe but for now he hates it

I'm so sorry you ladies have such negativity joined with your wonderful happy hobby! It's a good thing it creates SO much joy, it should override your DHs negativities!

Blog Entries
    I am very lucky as well! My hubby has his hobby and I have mine....MIne encourages me. I am sorry for you ladies that don't ...maybe they will come around!

I don't bother my fiance about his spending habits (computer parts and donations to NPR and the ACLU) and he doesn't bother me about my yarn and fabric :)

For those of you who have complaining spouses, maybe if you make him/her a quilt of their own, showcasing a hobby or something special they like, it might change the way they think about your hobby... Worth a try, maybe? ;-)

i used to have a problem with mine but since i made him a john deer lap quilt he wanted me to make one for his brother and his cousin and on and on so now he bought me two machines and a quilting machine and frame. now he goes with me to shop for fabric and in some cases i ask for his in put. sometimes i show him a quilt or throw i made and he likes it so much i give it to him he likes me to make table toppers and toppers for the furniture the dressers and night stands in the bedroom he keeps me busy. the one thing he will do is come and pull me out of the sewing room because he is hungry BUT IT TOOK 45 years to get here

memathomas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nellebelles
    For those of you who have complaining spouses, maybe if you make him/her a quilt of their own, showcasing a hobby or something special they like, it might change the way they think about your hobby... Worth a try, maybe? ;-)
    I made him one. He likes it, I made him a flannel plaid rag quilt.
    Maybe if I get him a hobby that he has to spend money on he would lighten up but ohh well what can I say I picked him :P

Mine doesn't complain but I'm sure he doesn't realize what I spend. He has his hobbies (fishing, bowling and a greenhouse). He goes to Los Vegas once a year, I go to Paducah and retreats. So I guess the answer is for him to get a life!

LOL i think your right

Blog Entries
    we don't live your life, so don't really have enough facts to provide a fair and accurate answer. i have no idea how big an affect that $5 has on the health of your family budget.

i came of age in the 70s. clouds of smoke from burning bras hung thick in the air. i never had to break the chains of oppression because i refused to put them on in the first place.

unless you're a spendaholic and have driven your family to the brink of financial ruin, i just can't imagine tolerating that attitude or treatment from a spouse. it's a Certificate of Marriage. NOT a Deed of Ownership.

if you aren't spending money you really need for necessities, offer him two choices: (1) see a shrink; or (2) go jump in a lake.

My daughter complains all the time. (I'm divorced) But I just ignore her and remind her she's not my husband so stop complaining and stop being bossy. (rofl)

Banned
    Nope, he goes with me and takes it to the counter to get it cut while I still shop for more. :thumbup: Sorry girls, hes mine! LOL

Blog Entries
    My husband doesn't know what i spend on fabric, and he doesn't seem interested in my hobby. He has asked me to make baby quilts to give to the guys at his work, who's wives have just had babies. and i do it for him. cheerfully!
    He has a motorcycle hobby, and it is an expensive one. i have never asked him about about the money he spends. The bills are paid,he works hard, and i am not his mother.
    I am trying this year, to stashbust,finish up the UFO's,use what i have.
    when he was laid off, i quit buying anything for 8 months. and rightly so.

Since I'm a pre-washer, there's always a pile waiting to be washed sitting on the dryer. So as long as I'm not buying fabric with naked girls on it or something else racy that would get noticed right away, he pretty much just sees the "same" pile of fabric waiting to be washed.

The bills are paid, I'm happy and he's oblivious.

Motto to live by...

'Happy wife...happy life!'

Julie

You ladies with supportive spouses and partners are indeed fortunate. Mine not only complains about the amount of "stuff" I have but also makes nasty comments about "creating works of beauty for others when I could be doing so many more productive things". Other things for him mean cleaning or gardening which I do in moderation or when it's necessary. He also is very against me making anything for "perfect strangers" which makes it difficult when I am chair of Community Quilts for my local guild. I don't think his attitude will ever change and should I leave this world before him, I'm sure he would just use our son's dump truck and clean out my sewing room. In other matters, he is a nice guy so why the big hate for my stitching has always been a mystery to me.

My husband has never said a word, I guess I pretty lucky

My husband works in the fabric industry (curtains) so he is well aware of the cost of fabric and the differences in quality. He appreciates good quality and beautiful colours and patterns and is happy to trundle around all the quilt shops with me.

farscapegal
    No. My husband has his hobby and I don't complain about it and he doesn't complain about mine.

I can't imagine having to "sneak" fabric or anything into the house that I have bought.

Sybil

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast