Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does everyone do fancy quilts or does anyone... >

Does everyone do fancy quilts or does anyone...

Does everyone do fancy quilts or does anyone...

Old 12-26-2010, 05:05 AM

I do all kinds, but the really fancy (intricate, involved) quilts usually only happen once or twice in a year. The rest are simple. I do a lot of string quilts--my scrap box seems to multiply much faster than I can get blocks made. The special one I want to do this year is the Texas Lone Star--I love how they look.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:18 AM

I have been on this site for several months just reading and learning with tutorials and getting the courage to start my first quilt. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A QUILT I DID NOT LIKE.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
Are there any of you out there that just do block quilts for family and friends, or do most of you do all these fancy patterns
Nope, no fancy quilts here. I love log cabin or rail fence. My family is so impressed with my ability to quilt that I don't need to do "fancy". In fact my daughter commented yesterday that she is amazed that I am actually quilting since years ago she remembered me having great disdain for quilting. That was before I realized what an art it really is. I used to think it was just straight stitching a bunch of squares together.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:42 AM

So glad you asked. I am new to quilting and am astounded at the beautiful works of art on this website. However, I shall stick to what I can best do right now--good old fashioned simple things. Perhaps some day I will graduate to the more advanced. Everything takes time.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:54 AM

I love the simple patterns as you see such progress and that is encouraging, plus they often get finished sooner. I've tried quilts that look complicated but when you start, they actually aren't. Experiment is all I can say and you will find what patterns you like the best. When I first started a couple of years ago, I did lap or throw quilts and everyone has loved them.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:18 AM

Both--have some "fancy" that I work on for a long time, and just simple squares or strip quilts for donating to fund raisers or when someone has a tragedy. Reminds me of when a niece was going through Chemo, made her a flannel quilt as she had said she was so cold all the time. Do not see them often, but when I see her she always brings the quilt up and says how much it meant to her to wrap up in that warm quilt.
She is now 6 years out and is cancer free.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:41 AM

I seem to make up my quilt designs as I go along and there doesn't seem to be anything simple about them. The first quilt I made up was appliqued heart blocks on point with setting triangles with a narrow striped backing turned to the front for the binding. Probably the fanciest quilt is the 1st UFO on my New Years list~ my "Swish" bargello that I'll be making into a roman shade for our office.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:47 AM

I do block quilts.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Mine are all simple easy quilts, with squares, lol. I do love applique!
Old 12-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

While I appreciate the work and talent of those of you who make "fancy" quilts, I like to make scrappy ones.