Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does everyone here own a.... >

Does everyone here own a....

Does everyone here own a....

Old 02-06-2011, 08:36 AM

I sure agree with the ones that say, puddle and no rolls. I fought those rolls and cussed a blue streak until I quit doing it and started puddling, the quilt, that is!!! :oops:
Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM

I quilted my lone star that is on my bed on my little brother machine and it doesn't have much of a throat so it can't swallow much so I puddle it. You could quilt as you go. I saw an episode of a Georgia Bonesteel program on quilt as you go and I have done it on a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt a long time ago, but it is hard to do with a lone star. So I did stitch in the ditch on the star and did free motion quilting on the background and all of it done in my sardine can of a sewing room. LOL Have a great day, Huggies, Fay
Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Puddling for me too. Just start in the center with the quilt stuffed up into the throat with just enough room to spread you hands into a potholder size area. Be sure to support the rest of the quilt so it doesnt weigh it down and pull the portion you are working on. If nothing else do like I do and place a portable table next to the sewing machine to hold the weight of your quilt.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Puddling is allowing the quilt to lay around the sewing machine and even in your lap. You scrunch it up instead of rolling it, making a "quilt puddle".
It helps to have room all of the way around your machine for the quilt to lay on, so it doesn't pull on the area you are quilting.
Some push another table up to their machine, set their ironing board up next to it, anything to be able to spread the quilt out :D:D:D
Old 02-06-2011, 10:53 AM

I can machine quilt a King sized quilt on my Janome 6500 which has a 9" harp area. I've thought about buying the Janome Horizon with 11" of space but probably don't really need it as my present machine will work. I did see a HQ Sweet 16 in a table for sit down home use with a huge (16") harp but that set up was priced as $4500 which means you need to do some serious quilting to justify spending that amount.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Puddling here, too, on my 1990's Singer, and the very first quilt I ever finished was a full size courthouse steps I did all SID. Where there's a will, there's a way!

I just got my FMQ foot a few months ago and haven't been brave enough to commit with it, but I'll be doing that soon.

The feed dogs on my machine don't drop, but I had a plastic cover for them that came with the machine. I'm sure you could buy one now.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by sidmona
I have a Juki and just finished a queen quilt on it. I have even done a few kings. The trick is to puddle the quilt, not roll it.
I don't have a Juki, but a Pfaff 7570 and I quilted many full and queen sized quilts on it before I got my frame and machine. I started sitting at the head of the machine so that my hands were on the quilt on the front and back sides of the sewing machine and didn't roll. Worked like a charm. This position only works with free motion, not stitch in the ditch....
Old 02-06-2011, 01:34 PM

I quilt all my quilts on my Janome 6600. Before that, I did everything on a 1970s Montgomery Ward machine. Right now I am doing a queen size. I don't roll as I quilt, I scrunch and puddle.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:51 PM

I also puddle QSize on my Pfaff Expression2.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

I have a basic mechanical Brother that I FMQ on - I scrunch up and work from the center out.