Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by luana View Post
    What a good question. If you look at the number of replies and the number of views it is evident the many look and don't write anything. If you read all of the comments on multiple pages, you notice that some are not reading all the replies before they add to the post. When I have come to the board for advice, I have always received several very specific helpful suggestions, and I am grateful that someone took the time to help me solve a problem. When I post pictures of a finished project, I appreciate the replies that let me know that someone really looked at my work and commented on the style, detail, color, etc. or asks a question about the pattern or fabric. It is my experience that even if I ask a question on the 9th page of replies, I will get an answer from the person who posted. So I know it matters because they returned to the page to check on the replies.

I will never read all the comments before replying. I reply to as many posts as are interesting-----------------as I read them. Which is why I often have 4 or 5 or more replies end to end.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Every post I reply to, I get in my email. Some days I get 15 quilting board email responses. Every time someone responds to a post I wrote on, I get an email about it. It's crazy and I can't figure out how to fix this. How do I turn this feature off? I have way too many emails. I usually go to main and read the current posts and maybe page 2 and 3 if I have extra time to kill. I really enjoy the Quilting Board. It's like a friend to me. And I pick and choose which ones to read and I read all of the responses. If I started the post, I read all of the responses, of course. I do pm people and apologize for pming them, in case they are offended. Usually it's to ask where they acquired the pattern of the quilt they are showing. But there are certain people I admire and look for their advice on posts and have to read all the posts to find their responses. We have some very smart people on this board. My mentor is the smartest one on here!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    It's crazy and I can't figure out how to fix this. How do I turn this feature off?
    Click on SETTINGS (top right of screen).

Select GENERAL SETTINGS (on left side)

Under

Select: Through my Control Panel ONLY

Further down is the Private Message option
    If you want to, you can select to turn off those emails as well.

After you make your selections, you can still view your subscribed to threads by selecting SETTINGS at the top left of the screen.
    If you have PM's, you'll get a pop-up box as soon as you access the QB site.

And no more emails.
    Last edited by MTS; 10-17-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Totally agree with Joyce, too. If I comment on someone's work I like to read what others have said. (Even so I often get impatient and post something that's already been posted!)

And, YES I do like to read the responses to my posts - you all are my sounding board. Living alone and not being a joiner of guilds and clubs makes your opinions extra worthwhile to me! Thank you all!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

MTS, thanks for the explanation. I will probably continue to go to the Main section and read the threads. I normally am on several times during the day and often go back a few pages. I think that means I see most of the threads that are started. Plus, I am a creature of habit....but I really appreciate the explanation. : )

Dina

I read QB on my iPad in bed before I go to sleep. I generally read all of the postings on the threads I am interested in but I am a fast reader. I always read Main but I keep forgetting about the picture section. I know I must be missing out on some great inspiration.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

If I have a comment I will post it. I don't know what you mean by the digest. I come to the board and check on some things I'm following or involved with like the swaps. And I'll look at whats new. Sometimes I'll see something there and look at it and post, and then realize it was started a long time ago, maybe even a year or more, but someone had come across it and posted to it so it is back in the current sphere. Sometimes those are really special to see too. I do try to keep track of my started threads or others that I would like to keep tabs on by using thread tools to subscribe to. If you have something to add why not?

QM
    I also pick and chose which threads to read. I have no interst in antiqu machines. I almost aways respond to people asking for quilting help. I have had several people PM me about my responses even though many responded before me. For them, yes I do think additional insight helps. Of course, if I don't care for a quilt or know nothing of the subject, I will say nothing. I don't read every posting on the threads I do read. I read eveything said in response to me and do appreciate the feedback. Like Nanna up north, I have limited access to major face to face quilting connections, so QB provides lots of inspiration to me.

Blog Entries
    I always notice the number of "hits" on each post. This shows me that how many members were interested. Then I look at the number of replys. Both matter to me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone - and yes, I read every response. Special thanks for informing me of how you read the quilting board, being a "newbie" I have been going through the sections on the digest, picking the ones I like the best like main, photos, recipes, and not being able to distinguish ones I have read before. So, I'm really glad I asked the question and again, thank you for clueing me in on the fabulous options on the quilting board.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief View Post
    I get my new edition of the digest around 6:30 am. I try to keep my dogs quiet until after I quickly look at what has been posted, but most often I have to wait until the barn chores are done and my dogs are napping to read the news and browse through the beautiful pictures. When I see something that truly inspires me to comment, most often I find that there are already 2 or more pages of comments. When I find that there are more than 4 pages of responsed I close the post and don't add my opinion. So, I was wondering, does it matter to you how many people respond to something you have posted or is it more gratifying to find that oodles of people have been moved to respond? Regardless, I will continue to read every thread created, I enjoy reading everyones comments and learn so much from all the advice.
    Thanks for asking - I too was wondering the same thing!
    Love 4 stchen

Quote Originally Posted by MTS View Post
    You do realize that the digest is not the most recent threads created, but a random listing chosen by some automated program?
    Who knows what the algorithm is that selects them?

So by the time you get the digest, yes, the threads might have been on the board for a day already (if not more).
    Not to mention ALL the threads that aren't on the digest.
    I've never understood its appeal.

If you access the board via this link, all the threads in each category are listed in most recent order started.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/sitemap/

When you click on a thread, the title on the list should change color, marking it as "read" so you'll always know which ones you've already accessed.
    [/URL][/B]
    That is the feature I miss most about the old software for the QB - it was effortless to to just see the "new". I know there are other ways to do it, but I liked that and have, so far, just relied on the digest to get my daily fix.
    Pat

If I read a post asking for assistance or advice, I will read thru the replies to make sure my answer hasn't already been mentioned (don't feel the need for the OP to see it 15 times). If the OP is posting a pic of a finished quilt and I feel like a response is necessary, then I will post regardless of how many others there may be. If there is a post the really intrigues me, then I will read every response and maybe even ask a question of my own. Each original post has different requirements for me and sorry to say that not all of them are read. For instance....since I have a Janome 6600, I don't want to read about someones issues with their Bernina....or someone complaining about quality of WalMart Fabrics. I either don't feel qualified to answer or don't have anything new to add to the thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Fire Chief View Post
    ... When I find that there are more than 4 pages of responsed I close the post and don't add my opinion. So, I was wondering, does it matter to you how many people respond to something you have posted or is it more gratifying to find that oodles of people have been moved to respond? Regardless, I will continue to read every thread created, I enjoy reading everyones comments and learn so much from all the advice.
    I have had the same reaction you describe to messages that have grown to more than 5 pages. When I have seen some that are 15 or more pages long, I wonder if perhaps this is an old post that has been revived several times over. That thought was discouraging. I am not going to do more than just read the original in that case.

There is another thing that has discouraged me lately and that is the section on pictures. Many a new message in that category includes a photo right from the first posting. Has anyone here tried to do that lately? No matter how many times I have posted messages, I have never been able to add a photo until I respond to my own message or to someone's message that has responded to me. So how are pictures posted? Is that privilege only for certain members?
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Yes it does. Your opinion matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
    That is the feature I miss most about the old software for the QB - it was effortless to to just see the "new". I know there are other ways to do it, but I liked that and have, so far, just relied on the digest to get my daily fix.
    From the home page, there is a big blue button on the right that says Recent Posts.
    click on that and all the new posts will come up that have been made since you were last on-site.

Another forum plus is how many threads will show. The site default is five, which is good for those still on dial up.
    I have mine set to the max, 40 per page. I limit my time on-line to about 2 hours a day, so this gives me the oppportunity to quick scan the posts and choose quality over quantity.
    That option is in Settings (top right of page)
    Scroll down and click on General settings, chose amount. Remember to click SAVE

There is no need to get a load of stuff clogging up your email either, unless you like it.
    Click on your username at top of page.
    On the right you can choose All threads you've started. If there are new posts to the thread since your last visit they will have a green arrow on the left.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    From the home page, there is a big blue button on the right that says Recent Posts.
    click on that and all the new posts will come up that have been made since you were last on-site.
    Two different things:

RECENT TOPICS button:
    If someone resurrects a 2 year old thread, it goes to the top.
    If no one posts to a NEW thread, it drops down the list, so you may never see it.
    It includes ALL the forums, even those of no interest to you, and
    it also includes the threads with recent posts that you've already decided you weren't interested in,
    but you still have to wade through all that as well.

So, really kind of useless.

Totally different from using the Archives (link included in my post upthread).

By viewing the new threads only and your subscribed threads, you never have to look at anything you've already decided to pass over.

Way more time efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
    There is no need to get a load of stuff clogging up your email either, unless you like it.
    Click on your username at top of page.
    On the right you can choose All threads you've started. If there are new posts to the thread since your last visit they will have a green arrow on the left.
    Directions on how to set this up - so it's only ONE click away with just the newly posted-to subscribed threads - were also provided upthread.

Blog Entries
    I do the same, I read everything but I do not respond to all, some of what I am about to reply, someone else has already voiced.
    TxCaRose

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
    I wonder if perhaps this is an old post that has been revived several times over.
    You can verify the age of the post by checking the date of the very first post.

Quote Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
    No matter how many times I have posted messages, I have never been able to add a photo until I respond to my own message or to someone's message that has responded to me. So how are pictures posted? Is that privilege only for certain members?
    No, you should be able to post pictures. It sounds like there's a setting in your preferences that might need to be adjusted. Try this:

Open a second browser window and pull up the quilting board, leaving this one open so you can refer back to it. In the second window, click on "settings" at the upper right of the screen. On the left side of the page, there is a menu, scroll down to "General Settings" and click. Scroll all the way to the bottom of that page, under "Miscellaneous Options" and make sure that the button "Enhanced Interface" is clicked. If it is already, then I'm not sure what the issue is. If it isn't, this might explain why you're having difficulty adding pictures to your posts - you're not seeing the button you need to click to add pictures. Save your changes (blue button at the bottom of the page) and go do a post with pictures!

Whew! It takes too long to read everything everyone writes. I'm doing now what I typically do. Read down through the first page of posts. If I want to leave a comment, I do at that point. If I'm really interested in the thread, I read most everything. I start the thread I read everything. After I post a comment, I might read the last page when it posts. I can't spend all day on the Quilting board. I've got a quilt to work on!!!! LOL!
    Thimble and Thread

Blog Entries
    MTS, thx for showing us the way to the most recently started threads. i checked, and the ARCHIVES at the very bottom of any article gets us to that 'intrance' to the board--- the line in dark gray.----thx.

And i look, nose a little, and try to get to work sewing. don't spend an awful lot of time here. gotta use up the stash......
    Last edited by sewNso; 10-18-2012 at 09:07 AM.

I like to read all the posts. Especially when quilters from "other" countries respond.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sewNso View Post
    MTS, thx for showing us the way to the most recently started threads. i checked, and the ARCHIVES at the very bottom of any article gets us to that 'intrance' to the board--- the line in dark gray.----thx.
    I don't even bother scrolling down to ARCHIVES.
    I just type "si" in my address bar (since that link address is already in my browser history) from whatever website I'm on, and it takes me straight there. ;-)

Even less clicks and scrolling.

I will admit that until about a couple of weeks ago I relied only on the digest to read the board. Then for some reason I went to the main area and couldn't believe all the threads I've missed! So I now start with the digest and then pop over to the board to see what else I miss.

I sometimes feel guilty about reading the board rather than sewing, but then I can justify it because I read the board on my lunchbreak at work, when I'm not sewing anyway

Blog Entries
    I am also a member of Knitting Paradise forum. If you ever start a thread or respond to a thread you receive an email when a new comment is made which makes following a post pretty easy. It's great when you are trying to figure out how to do something. You'll receive comments from all over the world and often someone will come up with a different way that surprises everybody.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast