Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Does your husband understand?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My husband thinks the process of making a quilt is cool. He is an engineer. Anything with rulers and math is cool. He doesn't ask about money or anything like that, but he also doesn't want to talk quilts or shop for quilt things. I guess he doesn't understand quilts, but I don't understand football. It doesn't matter. If I need mechanical help, he'll do it. If he needs nachoes and beer, I'll do it. It works.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginger
    I guess I am blessed. My Hubby likes what I make, he wants to keep everything I make. LOL He does not share well. He built me a fantastic room for all my hobbies. I have a 99x 50 square foot cutting table and a whole wall of white felt to hang blocks. Tons of shelving for fabrics.. So yes he understands very well!!!
    Ha.. Sounds like me!!! Anything that I make with Feedsacks or 1930s he claims it.. He even got me a monthly 1930s subscription from Fons & porter.. Gotta love 'em!!

I have a SUPER hubby. I have been making comfort quilts for people at work. Sometimes I get fabrics donated, sometimes I purchase everything, but DH never complained. One day he saw me trying to quilt a large one on my domestic machine and how difficult it was. So he got me a mid-arm and frame for Christmas. His only request was I make a quilt to stay in our house (working on it). He will sit and watch me quilt, says I look peaceful and happy when I'm quilting. Last year he got me a featherweight to take to retreats so I (he) didn't have to lug my heavy one. I have taken over his (former) office for my sewing space and while I was cleaning last week he suggested we re-arrange and move the quilt frame to a better location.

Isn't he the greatest!

Oh yeah. Mine is unquestioning of most anything I want to do. Today he insisted that we take a trip to my sewing machine dealer to look at new machines. Then spent time at the fabric clearance pointing out everything he liked.

Yes, I'm lucky.

I can relate, unfortunately!!! and I was quilting long before I met him.... He doesn't get it, not even slightly, remotely nor do I think he wants to..... I am very envious of all the lucky folks here who's significant other is supportive and encouraging. And though I am envious, I am also happy for them and real glad they have that, I am sure I have been blessed in many other ways!!!

Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    I have the most wonderful DH! Yes, he totally gets it! I am very lucky!

My husband definately does not get it. He complains bitterly about me "creating works of beauty for others when you could be spending your time cleaning or re-decorating the house for us or gardening". While those are all worthwhile pursuits, they are not the activites that feed my soul and make my heart sing. I've tried explaining it to him but it is as if I am speaking a foreign language - he doesn't comprehend and probably never will. I just tell him that it is something I have to do and no matter how he complains, I'll still quilt!

Yes, my husband understands and loves what I do. He doesn't care what I spend and attends all quilt shows with me. He appreciates the work that goes into creating a quilt. What a great guy!

My husband is happy I have a hobby so he can watch his reruns on TV while napping in his recliner. LOL

It is almost embarrassing listening to my DH brag to people about how creative I am and how talented I am and what beautiful quilts I make. He is always talking to someone about the newest one I am working on. He doens't see the oopsies. Oh well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and tonite he told me I still have the greatest legs in the world!! Gotta love him!!!

Blog Entries
    I don't know that my husband understands it, but he totally supports it. He is one of those that just wants to see things get used and not just spend money on something that then just sits around collecting dust. He is still waiting on his quilt though, so maybe I should make him one soon.

My husband encourages me to give my quilts to people!
    I would say that he understands!

Blog Entries
    My DH totally understands my passions in life. He has spoiled me rotten. He takes me fabric shopping, buys me whatever I want. He too has made a fabulous room for quilting. It doesn't matter if there is no dinner on the table..or that the laundry is still in the dryer. How do you thank someone who is so unselfish and caring..so loving. He always wants to see what I have made. He just wants me to quilt, quilt, quilt. I am so blessed.
    Peace and Blessings

Blog Entries
    My DH is coming around ever since I taught him how to sew. But he is stingy. He wants to keep everything we make. I am just the opposite. I like to give people gifts. But, I'm working on him!!

my husband is very supportive. Have you made your husband a quilt yet? Try making him one, and include him in the color choices and/ or patterns that he likes.

tmg
    Mine understands to well. He will volunteer me to make quilts for him to give away. I always put a label on them so they know that I am the one that made it :-D

You've only been quilting for a couple of years? It takes a little time for some hubbys to 'get it'. My DH's mother didn't sew and only took up quilting when she retired so he didn't have a clue when we married 45 years ago. He used to sit and watch me stitch.... His aunts and grandmother sewed and quilted but they were hundred of miles away. Anyway, he now brags on my quilts and shows whoever comes to visit. He gives me feedback on my work and suggests things that he thinks will look nice. He even tells me whenever he sees a featherweight in an auction flyer. So, give your guy a little time..... I'm thinking he'll come around.

Blog Entries
    This is a cute thread and I'm delighted to read that the majority of husbands understand their wives' passion for quilting. Mine understands and helps in every way possible when it comes to fixing, cleaning, oiling my machines. He enjoys tinkering with the o-l-d ones and has just purchased a 110 year old treadle for me. We're working on getting it to run properly (tension, smoothness) and he's delighted with his purchase (me, too).

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if DH really understands what this is all about. I think he's too left-brained to do so - quilting is not at all logical in his mind. He grumbles a lot, but like the provervial dog, he's all bark & no bite. He did buy me a Janome 6600P because I wanted it.

I do make him a quilt every once in a while to keep him happy. We are talking about one for his new office. I hesitate to make it as right after we hung the last one, he was laid off.

My dear hubby is so sweet about it. Whenever I finish anything, a quilt, wallhanging or tablerunner, he always asks who gets this one? He built my cutting table, 8x4 ft.
    with shelves all underneath, and well for my machine. Shelves in my sewing room also. He's a keeper!

My DH is great about my hobby, and goes shopping with me for fabric, when I am sewing a large quilt, he helps adjust the bulk of the quilt on my extended table. He helps me layer the quilts and says that when I met him, I told him that I love crafts and working with my hands.
    I have done crocheting, needlepoint... various crafts. I made curtains for our windows when we lived in our last house. I made them without a pattern. I look at something I like and go home and create it, or design on my own.
    I got into quilting after seeing a puff/quillow quilt at a John Wayne museum. I bought fabric and looked up how it's made and made one. I fell in love with quilting and DH is my biggest supporter. He likes his talk radio and I have no objection.
    Evenings our for the both of us to watch some tv

The only time DH complains is when he steps on a pin in his bare feet! LOL

My DH understands that quilting is my therapy and that it makes me happy. And we all know that if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Actually he is a dear and does the shopping and a lot of the cooking so that I can spend time quilting. He built me a special table top for my cutting and basting also. I am truly blessed to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by indycatcarol
    In 2004 when I was still working, I came home from work one day and found a Juki/QuiltEasy set up in the livingroom. He ordered it without telling, or asking me. He figured out how to stitch regulate it. A few months later it was his idea to look at and purchase my Gammill Opt+. Then it was his idea 4 yrs. later to upgrade my Gammill with IntelliQuilter. He will also digitize some patterns for me. When we go on cruises, because of his heart condition we can't do a lot of excursions. So it is his idea that we visit fabric stores.
    Now that is my kind of man!

My MIL was a knitter, sewer and quilter. When the boy's dad was growing up she had her own sewing corner in the basement.... His grandmother sewed and knit as well.

I've always sewed (saved him a lot of money for kids clothes over the years too!) but only got into quilting about 2 years ago.

So, he's always been exposed to crafts and creating.

He buys me stuff, says I should make quilts for people, but still can't understand when I actually sit at the machine, or go to the quilt shop down the street to work on projects, when I could be at home cleaning or walking his dog!!!

So, I guess he is supportive when it suits him... He does do leather work off and on, and right now it's off, so that's why he's not "getting" it right now.

He did take me to Niagara Falls, NY to get an Accuquilt GO! yesterday... which was my Xmas present, and then bought some dies for Valentine's day, so it's not all bad!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast