Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does Your Long Armer Keep Your Extra Backing Material? Not sure if this is normal??

Blog Entries
    My LAer returns everything not used. I just used some "leftover" batting in a tablerunner. It was the perfect length and width I needed!!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Have to jump in here---as most of you know, a backing needs to be at least 6" longer and 6" wider than the top for longarm mounting. When the backing is so big that there are more than about 4" on either side (extra at the top & bottom doesn't matter), I trim off the excess BEFORE mounting the quilt. It is extra work for your longarmer when the backing is way oversize, and some longarmers charge for trimming; the whole problem can be solved by sending the correct size backing with the top! BTW, when I do have to trim backing, the long narrow strip ALWAYS goes home with the completed top.

No she does not. It belongs to the quilter maker not the professional who does the quilting. When I got my finished quilt back I also got the extra backing and the extra batting.

I had a quilt done by a long arm quilter and she did not trim it. Ask for it back. If she threw it away, maybe you can find more at your local fabric store.

I had my first quilt long-armed last summer. He did a good job, but did not return the excess. I had sent a king size batt, 120 x 120 inches. and expected about 120 x 30 inches back. I called them, and it wasn't right away. I had to stew a little first LOL. They said they still had it. The next time I was there, I forgot about asking for it. So I called them and asked if it was still there, and it was. They had just had a big blow-out sale, so I was concerned. I did pick it up later. It was stuffed into a bag, so I had to smooth it all out and roll it up so I could use it again. I butt those ends together and use as much as I can in charity quilts, and in family quilts as well.

I make pillows with all the little itty bitty ends and pieces of batting. I have a box under my table near the sewing machine, and whenever I have a little piece of batting in my hand, it can go easily into the box. Then once a year or so, I sew up a pillow ticking and stuff it. My local food pantry gives them away.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

material

My longarmer returns the leftovers for all of the materials, etc. that I brought in.
    Carmen E.

Have always gotten mine back.

I just got a quilt back from a new LA. She did not return my excess backing which was a first for me. I emailed her and told her that I wanted the excess back as I didn't think she should be keeping it. At the cost of fabric and for her to keep probably close to a yard or more of fabric I think was alittle out of line. I will definitely mention it to any new LA'er that I use in the future. I did get it back and used the excess to make a hanging sleeve which was my intent all along.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
    The problem with her trimming is that she now took what could have been a 5 to 6 inch wide long strip on each side and now I have (if I even got back all the pieces) an uneven 1 to 2 inch strip and then a slightly bigger strip. Not as useful as it could be if I trimmed it myself right along the edge of the quilt top.
    I'd send her an e-mail saying you'd like your trimmings back if she still has them.
    My LAQs do nothing without first asking.
    I would not use her again were I you.

She should never keep the extas nor trim unless she has permission. I once took a class with a renowned teacher and we were asked to bring extra strips. She took them all and we never saw them again. Not good. No wonder she has such a wonderful array of fabrics in her published pictures. A sneaky way to expand her fabric collection.

Mine is always returned. She never trims anything from the quilt. I like to use it to warm up before I start a FMQ project.

Blog Entries
    I always return everything that is left over. I doodle a little on the edges after I change bobbins and they even get my doddling back. I do this because a few years ago a customer told me that her former LAer did not always return everything and she actually saw one of this ladies quilts and recognized some of her fabric. Who knows if that is true but if you give it all back there is no questionl.

When I load a quilt, the top is pinned to the backing and batting about an inch down from the backing edge, so there usually is no trimmings from that side when the sandwich is removed from the machine. However; if I trim the quilt before returning to my customer all trimmings are returned with the quilt. The "yardage" of the trimmings might be a little different from what my customer would expect due to some fabric "shrinkage" as the sandwich is quilted. A densely quilted piece might not have much extra fabric left after quilting. Please do check with you quilter. Ask if there were any trimmings left, that you were thinking about using them, if any, for the binding.

I never trim the quilts unless the customer request me to do it. I give back all the fabric and excess batting. You paid for it and it is yours.

If I don't trim the quilt,the customer get everything in one piece. If she tells me that she is going to use the backing for binding I try really hard to position the top so she will have enough for the binding. I always ask for a min of 6" extra all the way around for the backing,this way I will not be short and the cust will have enough for her binding.

I have enough of my own fabric and batting and I don't need to feed the stash..lol
    Pat, Lover of Art Deco and Applique
    www.BobbinKnobbins.com

I'm a longarmer,and I can assure you she did not "K E E P" your extra fabric.She just did'nt get it in the bag when she was finished with your quilt.Just wait a short time and give her a call.I'm sure she will feel bad but definately return it to you.Cut her some slack.

I have never had a LA Quilter keep the extra backing material. I would nicely just say, "First, you did a fantastic job on my quilt and I am really pleased. Second, I had plans to use the extra backing but I see you forgot to give it to me. What would be the best time for me to pick it up?"

sherryl1--I didn't mean to imply that she was intentionally keeping the fabric as a way of "stealing" from me at all. I just wasn't sure what the normal protocols were (both cutting down the "extra" on the sides and returning the fabric or not). For all I know, she may just toss out the sides if they are not more than a certain width and that is why she only returned one side. As I stated above, because of the difficult situation she is in right now, I won't be asking her about this as I don't want to bother or trouble her at all. In the future, if I use her again I can discuss what her normal procedures are with loading the quilt on the rack, cutting the batting and backing, etc. so I will be better educated. This is still a learning experience for me and I will be learning along the way. It is the feedback on these formus that really helps me get up to speed quicker. Thanks.

I always return the extra material from the backing just for the reason you stated. Many customers want to use the pieces for the binding. Once in a while a stray piece will escape, but not often. I would email the long armer and tell her that you'd like to use the backing pieces for the binding, but the piece that was returned isn't big enough. Ask her if she can locate the missing pieces. It doesn't mean she kept them on purpose, but she'll probably be more careful in the future.
    Peggles
    Peggles

I have gotten all of mine back!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Please consider another option, perhaps she used the excess to warm up and also check her tension before quilting on a top you worked so hard and lovingly on. I always use the sides for warm up and to check my tension on the sides, especially since it is the exact same fabric and batting I will be sewing on.

Since she gave you some back, this would be my guess, but there is no harm in giving her a call and asking.

I always get my extra backing and batting back, and I expect to, if the LAQ wanted some she should have asked you beforehand. I would send an email and ask her if she still had them as you planned to use them for the binding.
    'With God all is possible!"

My machine quilter is a gem and I've been doing business with her since she started. My quilts are returned and I trim them. I always have uses for the excess fabric and batting. I don't send batting. I pay her as she always has wool, polyester and cotton on hand and I do prefer cotton.

At our shop as a matter of policy any extra batting or fabric is returned to the customer with the quilt. Many people use the excess fabric for binding, as you anticipated.

However, as others have said, it is often necessary to trim down the backing and batting provided in order to load it on to the machine properly - so the trimming you describe may be down to the original size of the fabric. That said, I would always recommend providing backing and batting that is a bit more than you think is needed in case the fabric needs straightening due to the grain being off (rather than providing exact size fabric/batting which could cause problems - the longarmer can take it off to achieve the right size but can't add more on!).

As a general rule with us the quilt is given to the customer as it came off the longarm - no "post-quilting" trimming is done. If a customer requested trimming we would assume (tho would ask!) that they meant for it to be trimmed so that it was 'binding-ready' rather than having to trim again.

And there is always the possibility of oversight - it happens to us all!
    Quilting is my vice

Live well, laugh often, love much

The long armer always returns the extra fabric and batting with it.
    Jo

I don't think this is a common practice, at least not with the LA's I know or with the ones I know who send their quilts out to have them LAed..... I really never heard of such! I would call her and ask for it and tell her that you plan to use it. If she's thrown it away, she can replace it for you or compensate you for what it might have cost you or what it costs you to replace it. I certainly wouldn't just let it go since you did plan a use for it.
    Just my personal opinion here.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast