Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
double knit fabric >

double knit fabric

double knit fabric

Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 AM

Double knit makes wonderful rugs that never wear out.
I have a rug that has over ten yrs of hard use at my back door
just cut into squares fold twice and sew down the middle take a piece of denim the size you want your rug to be and mark lines 1 inch apart and sew the little squares on it real close. let your imagination go wild as to colors. I hunted thrift shops for old clothes because you can't seem to buy good double knit any more.If you have double knit to get rid of pm me and i will pay for shipping it to me
Old 01-18-2011, 05:04 AM

I have lots from the 60s and 70s from my moms attic. We make quilt tops out of them, put puffy batts in them and back them with flannel. They make super duper heavy comforters for homeless shelters, etc. We tie them well.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:19 AM

Could you show us a picture of your double knit rug? PLEASE
Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Me too I need to see a picture a tute maybe??
Old 01-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu
Could you show us a picture of your double knit rug? PLEASE
That's what I was thinking! I'm visual. Sounded interesting--just want to see a pic--please, please, please.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Banned

double knit goes for big bucks here in rural OK...it is used mainly for adult bibs and lap throws for nursing homes...because it never dies and can a million washings...

when I find it at estate sales, I always tell the estate sales company to call me after the sale if they want to get rid of it..they always do...then I drive to nearly 15 SR centers that make the items to donate to the nursing homes...it is a win win for everyone..,especially the landfills!
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM

I think my mom told me about this kind of rug but never have seen one. Can you please give us a picture. Thank You
Old 01-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Interesting! I can remember when I was in high school and taking sewing classes, I used to go to a factory outlet to buy double kits. I used to make pants suits with them! (Remember pants suits ...and leisure suits for men! haha!) I still remember making one of my high school girl friends a pair of pants and a cute boxy little jacket for her birthday and it looked so cute on her!
I also remember a really pretty pink plaid jacket with dolman sleeves that I made myself out of bonded wool. Remember bonded wool? Do they even make that anymore? It was so easy to work with!

If I should come across any double knit, I'll let you know. I go to thrift shops alot and always look through the fabrics. You never know what you might find!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Gal

Interesting, I would love to see a picture, I make rag rugs to, but I cut up the recycled fabric into 1/2" strips and hook my rug in loops. You can design your own patterns or just do scrappy or lines etc. My Mum and her mother both used to do this kind of rug making on a sack backing,using up old wool coats, My method is a little different, I use polo fleece and I use backing which is usually used for hooking wool rugs. That part is expensive but it is easier on my poor old hands.

Gal
Old 01-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I would love to see a picture ofyour rugs too!