Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Double wedding ring blues UPDATE - Pictures added Page 2

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Ok, I have NEVER had this much trouble getting my seams and edges to line up. Especially when working from templates! What the heck is wrong with me?
    My curves go together like a charm, but then when I get to sewing my straight edges together, not one of them lines up! I rechecked my templates, rechecked all of my cut pieces... it SHOULD work and I'm getting so darn frustrated. My blocks dont even pretend to lay flat, even when ironed...*sigh*

I fudged the first block together, and it looks like a banana, and you can see here how there's no way this will ever lay flat, nothing even lines up!

Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I got the templates from the tutorial on this forum...

Attached Images Attached Images

What if I just re cut all of my white curvy triangle pieces and leave them way bigger, then trim them all to the same size afterward, would that work? I think it might still be wavy, but at least my edges will line up...

Blog Entries
    I would try putting a tear away stabilizer on the back of each block making them stiff and flat and then sew them together. It is hard not to stretch the fabric some when sewing curves.

Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    Ok, I have NEVER had this much trouble getting my seams and edges to line up. Especially when working from templates! What the heck is wrong with me?
    My curves go together like a charm, but then when I get to sewing my straight edges together, not one of them lines up! I rechecked my templates, rechecked all of my cut pieces... it SHOULD work and I'm getting so darn frustrated. My blocks dont even pretend to lay flat, even when ironed...*sigh*

I fudged the first block together, and it looks like a banana, and you can see here how there's no way this will ever lay flat, nothing even lines up!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I got the templates from the tutorial on this forum...
    what fourm

I started on quite some time ago and stashed it out of sight in a box because of this issue!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrie
    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian

what fourm
    In the tutorial section of quiltingboard.

Blog Entries
    it's hard to tell for sure from photos, but it looks as though your background sections are a bit too small for the rings so get stretched out of shape.

when you printed the templates from acrobat reader, did you remember to set page scaling to "none"? depending on your printer, you might also need to click the "advanced" tab and select "print as graphic". if you don't do that, the program makes its own adjustments to the size of the output. the pieces won't print out properly sized.

if that's the problem, then i have to take part of the blame for your problems. i just checked the instructions and noticed i never mentioned the need to check those two print settings. doing those two things is such an automatic habit for me that i guess i forgot. my sincere apologies. :oops:

EEp, lol!
    I didn't check the page scaling...
    But I'm not the only person who has used these templates, right? It's weird how I'm the only one who seems to be having the problem. If it's just the background pieces, I can easily go back and change them, thank God. I really do like this pattern and I do not want to abandon this project only 2 blocks into it.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Blog Entries
    maybe you aren't the only one who had problems. maybe you're the only one who didn't just throw the templates into the trash and look for other instructions. :lol:

I only made the one we did during the "class" and quilted & bound it into a table center piece.

it looks like you're using them all in one piece, not paper piecing different pieces together?, if not there is no seam allowance being taken up so your piece is too big for the football piece,

nevermind! I just realized that can't be it :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    it looks like you're using them all in one piece, not paper piecing different pieces together?, if not there is no seam allowance being taken up so your piece is too big for the football piece,

lol, I was so confused by that! I did cut seam allowances in the pattern pieces... I dunno, maybe it's an ID 10 T problem... lol!

Banned
    I'm also working on my first double wedding ring quilt. This is def. the most complicated pattern I've ever done. I got the pattern from the book "Egg Money Quilts" by Eleanor Burns. It's been rather easy to follow. I still have 2 more squares to finish appliquing the rings on and then I'll start piecing. I noticed on your pattern that you didn't use squares on your corners Like this... http://dogfeathers.com/quilt/images/WEDRING.JPG I have the corners. Maybe you could encorporate them? That would give you "forgiveness room". I'm banking on that myself. lol

Well, if I had been piecing the arcs from small squares of fabric, I would have had the squares in the corners, but since I just wanted one colour in my arcs, I just didn't bother. At first, I thought that might have been my problem, but since it all fit together so well with the melons, I don't think that's it... plus, my arcs still went together really easily with the inner curve of the funny curvy triangular pieces, I didn't even have to pull the pieces into place, or ease them so that they lined up... they just fit. *sigh*
    I think I will re-cut my outside pieces keeping the same curve, but add a couple of inches that I can later trim and square up so they all match.

Blog Entries
    i had the same trouble once ad it was ot me but the fabric , how i fiished it was like bella said use a stablizer in back of each block to help you cotrol the fabric better hope i help

Blog Entries
    im having troble with my n,s in key board

My guess is that you are stretching as you sew. It's very hard not to, since all of those edges are on the bias! Also, I would not sew them into squares like that in the first place. I will see if I have some pictures of a better technique - it goes together like clamshell piecing.

Ok, thanks everyone, I figured out the problem... well it was a combination of problems, but it seems to be working well now :)

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    My guess is that you are stretching as you sew. It's very hard not to, since all of those edges are on the bias! Also, I would not sew them into squares like that in the first place. I will see if I have some pictures of a better technique - it goes together like clamshell piecing.

OOh, I think I know what you're talking about, I saw it somewhere but I can't remember where now, lol~

Blog Entries
    wow now that looks nice good for you

They really look nice now. I wanted to see what the problem was so I wouldn't have that when I start a DWR. Thanks for sharing the problem and solution! :lol:

Oh my you sure did find the problem they look fantastic now!!!.....:-)

They look wonderful now. Please let me know what the problems were. DD wants a double wedding ring quilt when she gets married. I'll need all the help I can get.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathe
    Also, I would not sew them into squares like that in the first place. I will see if I have some pictures of a better technique - it goes together like clamshell piecing.
    the tutorial doesn't call for squares. it uses a solid, non-pieced center.

that said, there definitely are other ways to assemble wedding rings. a quick search on the internet will lead you to a number of other free tutorials.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast