Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dream request -inches apart >

Dream request -inches apart

Dream request -inches apart

Old 12-06-2016, 07:51 PM

Default Dream request -inches apart

I am working on a big quilt with QD request, and I'm wondering about the distance between quilting lines. I know the package says up to 8", but in the past, I've usually gone 2-3 on QD select.

The current project has 3" squares, and the plan had been to run quilting lines 1/4" inside each square. This would make the lines 2 1/2" apart, with the center of the square open, except that the 1/4" lines on either side of the seams would then be 1/2" apart. Will that be stiff? Should I just run1/4" quilting lines on the left side of each square, which would then put them 3" apart? That would hold together through a top-loader washer?

I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but the batting is Really Thin, compared to the "select." Opinions very welcome and thanks!

charlotte
Old 12-06-2016, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

I have found that polyester quilting thread does not stiffen up a quilt the way cotton thread does with close quilting. If you can use a poly thread such as Glide or one of Superior's poly, I don't think you would have any problem with stiffening no matter how close together your quilting lines are.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:35 PM

I am not familiar with that batting, but your plan of having quilting 1/4" on either side of the the square seam lines should not be enough to make the quilt stiff in my opinion. I have quilted baby quilts like that and they came out flexible and soft. The quilts that I have that are stiff, have much more intensive quilting designs than that, like small 1/2" pebbles, etc. I think you will be fine with your original plan.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Power Poster

8" apart is quite a gap so anything less than that will work. The only thing I've known to make quilts stiff is tight stippling. I don't think you need to worry with either one of your plans.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:42 AM

QD, if I remember has three thicknesses....and I believe the thinnest is recommended for hand quilting......but I may be way wrong...haven't use that one in awhile.....yes, it's very thin....easily torn with handling.....your quilting spaces sound safe....
Old 12-07-2016, 08:37 AM

if you are talking about Quilter's Dream, it also depends on the materials its made of. I use "Orient" which is bamboo with other natural fibers but is different from their cotton, wool and other blends. You can visit their web site and get all the info you need for the blend that you want to use.

www.quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-cotton.htm

Last edited by Kitsie; 12-07-2016 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

The recommendation is for the maximum distance you should have. You can stitch as close as you would like within that maximum. I've seen quilts quilted every half inch using W&N that allows 10" between lines.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:33 PM

Thanks so much for taking time to respond. I think I was intimidated by the thinness of the batting, compared to the next level up. It's beautiful stuff but delicate. Thanks to all of you, I will carry on with the 1/4" inside the blocks. I don't know any other quilters, myself, but I'm grateful for all of you!

hugs,
Charlotte