Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Drowning in unfinished projects >

Drowning in unfinished projects

Drowning in unfinished projects

Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 PM

Personally, I have one in the frames being quilted, one on the design wall and one sort of bouncing around in my head. I would go bonkers with a bunch of started and unfinished stuff. With that said, I hear often of people finding quilt tops in the belongings of those that have passed. Perhaps, those that don't finish their projects are like the ones that did the quilt tops, but did not actually quilt them. You may enjoy the planning and design, and even perhaps piecing the top, but the actual quilting is a chore to you, so you put it aside and go on the the nest quilt planning, design and piecing. That's OK. If you go to the great beyond and leave some tops that still need to be quilted, I'm sure there will be someone who will appreciate what you did do and be most happy to finish the quilt themselves.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 PM

I agree with the LLD or Dave Ramsey method. Start with the small/Least Left to Do project, finish. Then move to the next. I made a list and stopped at 32 because I became overwhelmed. Now I divide and finish. Don't look at the whole project because that might overwhelm you. Start with Step 1. make one block. Step 2. make a second block. Step 3. make a third block. Before you know it you will have all your blocks made. Then put together row 1, row 2 etc. Border one, Border two, etc. If you do small steps, you will finish a UFO. Since starting the step by step method in September have finished 4 quilts including labels along with two doll quilts and a quick quilt. I also use a random method to work from my list, say today is the 14th, ok I have to work on #14.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 PM

I was at a guild quilt show a few years back and each person had to make a list of twelve unfinished projects. Each project was given a number. At the meeting each month, a number was drawn and each person was challenged to finish the project with that number on it. I remember thinking that this was a great idea. Maybe, in 2013, I will do this. My biggest problem is that with my longarm sitting here some of my UFO's are quilts that need to be loaded and quilted. I bet I have enough backlogged of my own to do one each month and that would not count the one project a month that I would need to finish the assembly of - boy, do I have a busy year ahead of me!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 PM

I love the idea about plastic containers for projects - it is so much nicer to pick up a container with all the parts and directions all in one place.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 AM

I find that to get started again is to make a quilting date with a fellow quilter. I can usually continue on my own once I am energized.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 AM
Power Poster

Pick a couple you can finnish fairly quickly and you have a purpose or destination for like birthday gift or picnic quilt for the summer.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 AM

I donated blocks from quilts I knew I would never finish to my guild for charity quilts. I now work on projects I know I will finish to the point of adding borders. I never purchase border fabric until I am ready to finish a project.

I currently only start projects that will improve my skills -- last year it was piecing and I made a lot of progress. This year my goals are applique and paper piecing.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:44 AM

It is very comforting to know I am in such good company....thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 04:50 AM

I'm working on my pile now. I was laid off from my job in November and have been sewing ever since. I have finished a lot of my UFO's and I have to tell you it's a great feeling. Finishing them one quilt at a time.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:05 AM

This sounds unreal but it works. Number 1 through whatever on little pieces of paper and put in a jar - draw out 1 of the pieces and finish. Then continue on. I actually do this is my accounting office when I have a lot of corporations to do -