Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dumbest quilt move ever!! Can you top this

Got back to quilting today, and I'm just zipping along attaching my binding, which was starched enought to stand alone, when I got to the ends and tried to insert them together lo and behold I SEWED THE WHOLE THING ON BACKWARDS. I have done some pretty dumb things but this one takes the cake. I'll be spending the rest of the night ripping. Oh well at least I'm back doing something. :roll:

oooohhh, I never work on putting the ends together until I have 3/4 of the binding sewed on. Can you add more to the binding and then cut it to size?

Oooooo....you mean you sewed the finished edge to the front and then the raw edges would have wrapped to the back? Eek! I think I would have said some ugly words! :shock: Thank goodness for seam rippers!

Blog Entries
    Hah...I'm just sooo happy to have someone join MY club! I could NOT believe I ever did something soooo stupid...but...you beat me...cause you admitted it! :lol: :lol: I didn't want you to feel too bad though..so yes, I did the same thing. Don't worry any evening of spending time with the frog (rip-it) and you'll forget about it pretty soon. :roll:

Oh yeah, completely done, with bea-u-t-ful miters the whole yards. Got to the edges and realized it was the pressed side sewn down. I was having a lot of trouble working with this since it was black binding and for some reason I was having a hard time seeing the fold even when I was pressing it. Oh well, live and learn, just won the stupid OSCAR for quilting.
    Again this still is a happy day that I can do it even if it was @#%%backwards. :lol:

I'm not sure how you are pressing and doing your binding. I cut mine to 2 1/4 inches, fold in half and press. I put the raw edge to the raw edge of the quilt and sew. I leave a long tail at the beginning so when I am about 3/4 of the way or a little more, I cut it to size, sew together and finish sewing it on.

I hope that all made sense. LOL

Thanks Joey for the info, but that's how I do it. Just didn't realize what I had done till I tried to join the edges of the binding together, it was backwards. I sewed the raw edge of the binding away from the quilt raw edge. Again my bindings are so starched they are pretty much stuck together. It wasn't till I try to pry them apart that I realized it was sewn on wrong. Think I need better lighting in that room. Especially when sewing blacks, to black.

Ooooh, so sorry! :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by harrishwhippets
    Thanks Joey for the info, but that's how I do it. Just didn't realize what I had done till I tried to join the edges of the binding together, it was backwards. I sewed the raw edge of the binding away from the quilt raw edge. Again my bindings are so starched they are pretty much stuck together. It wasn't till I try to pry them apart that I realized it was sewn on wrong. Think I need better lighting in that room. Especially when sewing blacks, to black.
    ROFLMAO! I know it isn't funny, but I have done dumb stuff myself so I can imagine your frustration. I'm laughing with you, not at you. Blacks are so hard to see anyway. Would love to see the quilt when you are finished. I'm sure it is beautiful. ((((HUGS))))

Sorry, but I'm laughing so hard! I've always feared I'd do that! I'm glad you took care of it for me! I would help you "unsew" if I was near!

My deepest sympathies! I think I have you beat, however. My dumbest mistake was chain piecing 24 seams WRONG SIDES together. I have no idea what I was thinking...or doing for that matter! :roll: :lol:

Blog Entries
    The first binding I ever did was in a chat class here on the board...I did the same thing as you...ripped it all off and then turned around and did it a second time :lol: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :lol:
    I decided right then and there to let it sit over night as "punishment" and maybe it would play nicer the next day...and when I wasn't so tired :wink: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Chele for the offer, but I'm finally finished ripping. What I have learned in the past is to do bigger stitches on the bindings. THANK GOD, it made the ripping easy, peasy. I will have this done tonight, and will proudly post a pic of it tomorrow. Guess what else I learned tonight. If I move the lamp that was in front of me to behind me, now I can see the light. Yah just got to laugh about this stuff. Hey I also talked to my friend the seamstress tonight to share my stupidness. She said last week she finished a dress and had the bottom inside out from the top. Now that's funny.

A big THANKS to you guys for making me feel better. Time to maybe call it a day before I do that again. I'll sew in the morning with better light. Goodnight :wink:

I haven't done that yet but I'm sure my day will come. If I had a dollar for every time I sewed the wrong sides together I think I'd be a millionaire.

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    The first binding I ever did was in a chat class here on the board...I did the same thing as you...ripped it all off and then turned around and did it a second time :lol: :roll: :oops: :roll: :oops: :lol:
    I decided right then and there to let it sit over night as "punishment" and maybe it would play nicer the next day...and when I wasn't so tired :wink: :lol: :lol:
    Hahahahah, oh dear...

Been there, done that.

Remedy: glass of wine and good romantic movie. Put the quilt down and go back the next day!

Blog Entries
    Of course, there's the time you sew the seams together wrong, rip and sew them wrong again, only to find out if you had turned the project around the seam would have been right. Or you could get the backing just right, set it aside. Then you need a piece of the left over backing fabric for another project. As you are ripping of the "hunk" you need, you realize you are ripping you correctly sized backing. Done it all :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    Been there, done that.

Remedy: glass of wine and good romantic movie. Put the quilt down and go back the next day!
    Hey, forget the movie -- add more wine :D :D :lol:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who makes this kind of mistake. My poor seam ripper always seems to get a workout. You have my sympathies. I've been there.

DJ
    I don't dare laugh or it will happen to me! Black-on-black needs very good lighting, glasses on face, and freshness (not late afternoon or evening work)!

We learn from our mistakes - I'm sure you won't do that again. Joanne's has Ott lights on sale now and then. Mine has made a world of difference!

Oh boy! I thought it was tough tearing out seams in blocks I had sewn wrong but a whole binding thats rough.
    One time I cut off all my points to square up blocks then found out it is better to use the off size and make adjustments to the rest of the pattern.

Just one of those days. I was making a baby quilt last week using the flip and sew method and my first block I made without the backing...it went downhill from there and I ripped out as much as I put in. Finally put the thing down, had a little fit and left the room! It just happens.

Been ther, done that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast