Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easiest Way to Square Up a Quilt >

Easiest Way to Square Up a Quilt

Easiest Way to Square Up a Quilt

Old 08-17-2012, 03:29 AM

Does anyone "block"? If there is a narrow border on the outer edge, won't trimming make the outer border look "wonky"?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by liont View Post
I use my square floor tiles as a guide. I guess they must be straight and squared enough.
I have floor tiles too, but, how do you do this? I am intrigued. How do you cut? Do you match the ends of the cutting mat into a corner and then lay the quilt outside of this so as not to cut the floor?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have floor tiles too, but, how do you do this? I am intrigued. How do you cut? Do you match the ends of the cutting mat into a corner and then lay the quilt outside of this so as not to cut the floor?
I lay my quilt with a long edge aligned with the tiles. Slowly pull/nudge the quilt until the quilt corner meets tile corner. Then I cut using scissors using the tile groove as a guide. If I want to rotary cut, I slide my mat under the quilt, aligning the mat markings with the tiles. Then rotary cut.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:18 AM

I use a T square and my 6x24 ruler
Old 08-17-2012, 06:24 AM

I "eyeball" the quilt and find the narrowest point and using a straight edge, I "square" with the narrowest point on the edge. I do this with each edge of the quilt and "voila" - the quilt is square and ready to bind. I go one more step and machine stitch all the layers together with a scant 1/4 inch seam prior to attaching the binding.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 AM

If you plan a very narrow outside border, then best to square up the quilt prior to attaching that last "narrow" border.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 AM

Okay....now I know I'm still a beginner............we are supposed to square up the quilt! Never even crossed my mind!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 AM

Home Depot or other home improvement store. I've had one for years and use it ALL the time on various projects.[h=2]60 in. Aluminum Straight-Edge Ruler $9.97 /EA-Each[/h]
Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 AM

Default Squaring a quilt...

Originally Posted by txstitcher View Post
I got my quilt back from the LAQ and now need to sew on binding. However, I need to square up my quilt a bit.

What's the easiest way to square up a quilt?

Thanks!
This is what I do to square up.
Lay it on a flat surface--I use our large dining room table or the floor, but the table is best for me.
Be sure it is all flat. Then, get your quilting ruler and just line it up. Using your rotary cutter, cut on the line to have it straight. Do this all the way around.
Then, match the corners, and be sure they are matched. This will tell you how straight you have it from the first step. When the corners match perfectly, you know you are "square." I do this with all corners matched.
If this is a queen or king quilt, you probably will want help to do this 2nd step, as quilts that large are very heavy.
If the corners don't match, I have diagonally pulled, GENTLY to check how square my quilt really is.
You will be glad you did the squaring until everything is square and checked thoroughly. It is easier to bind, quilt and it just lays better when it is all perfect.
Hope this helps!
Mariah
Old 08-17-2012, 07:19 AM

I 'borrowed' my husband's wooden T square. Works like a charm.