Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy Quilter >

Easy Quilter

Easy Quilter

Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Easy Quilter? I saw it at the Wisconsin Quilt Expo and was pretty impressed with the idea. Almost bought one but don't like to impulse buy something that expensive ($500) wthout telling my DH first.
Here's the website - easyquilter.com
Old 09-11-2011, 06:22 PM

I don't have any experience with it but I have looked at this unit before. I will be watching this post for information.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I tried out the 5.1 at the MN quilt show and *loved* it! They had it set up with a Janome 1600P (fast stitching machine) and the guy told me to "floor it". I too wanted to buy one right then and there, but used my cell phone to call dh. Plus I really wasn't sure we should spend that much money right now. BUT, I'd get it right now if cost wasn't an issue. Don't really want a big longarm setup, I already like spray basting quilts, and this setup would make my machine quilting a lot easier.

What I have been looking at in addition to the Easy Quilter are these:
http://buildaquiltingframe.weebly.com/index.html
and
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...logspot.com%2f

My dh is handy, so when he gets some time I think I will have him build me a setup similar to the Easy Quilter using the carriage wheels from the buildaquiltingframe website. Also want to look at the Edgerider wheels (used on longarm setups), as my dh likes the idea of building his own carriage.

I prefer the Easy Quilter because the quilt is already basted (easy to take down and put back up), there are only 2 rails, and the rails can extend beyond the limits of the table setup. For large quilts, I would cut the batting into 3 sections to reduce bulk under the arm.

I did read as many reviews of Easy Quilter as I could find here and by Googling. All of them were positive for the newer frames with the carriage.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 PM

I bought a Grace Frame with a Janome 1600P sewing machine. Be aware it does not have a threader and uses commercial needles that have to be ordered special. It does not have a flat side, so it is really difficult to insert the needle correctly. If you do not have it EXACTLY right, it breaks thread. Then you have to thread again with no threader. It is heavy to use on the frame and keeps slipping off. I have had no luck and have found it impossible. The Janome dealer said it was a bad machine for home use and I should just discard it when I can afford a new machine. I hate mine and would almost give it away--which I will probably end up doing
Old 09-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the machine review! It confirms reviews I found when Googling the 1600P. When it's time, I think I'll look for a different machine for my setup (but still would like something with lots of stitches per minute).
Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM

I have the Easy Quilter and I like it. I hope after more practice and I gain confidence I will say I love it. Still new, but I am gaining confidence and hopefully skill.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Don't know much about the Easy Quilter, but I do have the original Handi Quilter (with handles and table built especially for it) for sale in southeastern Wisconsin! Can't use due to health reasons....bummer ):