Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Easy Threading Needle >

Easy Threading Needle

Easy Threading Needle

Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
the lady that makes/sells the spiral eye lives just down the hiway from me. i bought them but am not that thrilled with them. the shaft is somewhat thick which makes them hard to pull through the fabric.
I tried one at the Lancaster show this past weekend. I found them quite thick as well. My question was how long before they are dull? I will stick with my regular self-threading needles. Do they cut the thread sometimes? Yes. Do I have to rethread a little bit more than I like? Yes. But the holes left behind are tiny and I don't feel anything when they go into the discard bottle.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM

I love the easy-threading needles. They make burying threads quick and easy, with an absolute minimum of hassle, especially for those of us who no longer have the best vision... I inherited a package from my mom and bless her every time I use them.

It is true that some individual needles seem to cut the thread - this might be a manufacturing quirk. If this happens, I just change to another needle in the package.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
Just recently watched a Leah Day class. She mentioned a needle that she likes for burying the thread in a quilt. It has a hole in the top so you don't have to thread the double thread through the eye. I bought a packet and am really delighted, cut the time it takes by at least half. I may be the last person in the world that didn't know about this but thought it would be worth posting.
Emma I looked through this thread and can't find the name of the needles your talking about, unless I missed it somewhere. Can you give the name of the needles that Leah Day uses that you like so well please? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 AM

Kelly: The package I have is Dritz from JoAnns and is labeled "6 Easy Threading". Considering the number of people who know about the product, I suspect you could get the same thing under different names.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:16 AM

Thanks so much Emma! I'm heading there today. Kelly
Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
I am having problems with breaking thread when I FM so will try the polyester thread as she recommended. Connecting threads carries a complete line that I may try.
Not to discourage you from Connecting Threads- but if you try their poly, buy one before you buy a bunch. I have never tried it, so I have no idea, but their cotton thread is the thickest thread I've ever used for the weight it says it is (still, it is my go to cotton thread, not bashing.)

The thing that makes the Isacord so ideal for the type of quilting Leah does is that it is thin, so you can stack many layers of it without breakage, or too much build up. If the Connecting Threads poly is thick it won't have the same property regardless of being poly.

I buy my Isacord from IMachinegroup.com- if you buy 5-10 spools, shipping isn't as bad and it is the best price I've found online. (Not affiliated) I get the giant cones of white. I find I use a lot of white.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM

I have the easy threading needles with the hole on the top and the thread breaks all the time. I bought the spiral eye needles at Hobby Lobby. $9.99 for 2 reegular price--used 40% off coupon. Still was $6 for two needles but they work so much better. I just have to be very careful not to lose them.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
I just have to be very careful not to lose them.
I have a magnetic pincushion I use ONLY for my easy thread needles. That way I don't lose them. I hate rebuying specialty tools.

I took a class with Joannie Zeller Pool, and she just cuts her freemotion threads, not buries them. I've started doing that, it is much easier that way.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:52 PM

Skittl: Thanks for the information re CT and the IMachine link. I was going to jump into the deep end of the pool and buy several of the white and the black. I will be more cautious.
GaGa: Glad you found an alternative that worked for you. I think the big differance between my experience and others is I only use them to bury the thread, no real sewing.
This is why I love this board and the people on it, you share one little item and the response triples your information. Thank you all.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
I have used those needles but ind it easy for the thread to come loose.
I prefer the "Spiral Needle" It is more expensive but for me is worth the time it takes to keep rethreading.
The slot for threading is on the side and not the top so your thread can't come out of the top threading version.
Have to agree.

I've tried the kind that you have to poke the thread through a "notch" in the top of the needle and it can shred the thread, and will sometimes break it. I got the Sprial Eye needles and LOVE them. Yes, pricier ... but well worth it.