Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Eleanor Burns came to my house....WOW

Eleanor Burns came to my house....WOW

Just finished piecing 3 scrappy quilts. Looked around my sewing area...on the floor I see various sizes of scraps, lots of dif colors, thread tails, rug under my chair is asqew (sp){{can't spell I think you know what I mean}}}, probably a few dust bunnies too. Sewing table well...scraps there too. Just a mess.

Would like to know how she got in? Doors are always locked. Don't remember giving her my address. Has she ever come to visit you?

Inquiring minds need to know.
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Haha!!! Don't I wish!! I think I heard her say that she started doing that because one of her early producers told her she was taking too much time trying to keep her space clean, so that was her solution. She also said early on she had to clean it all up at the end!!
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I think she lives in my closet, no materr how much I clean after I sew, there are strings and little snips all over.

Blog Entries
    When we visited her store in Paducah, we saw a few bags of very small scraps for sale. We were told by one of the salesladies that those bags are the actual scraps she tosses. I am too tidy to notice if she has visited my home, although I would pull up a comfy chair for her to sit awhile if she did.

I think she must spend a lot of time in my sewing room.

I have adopted the Eleanor Burns method! I find it easier to clean up all those threads and snips at the end of a sewing day , rather than trying to keep up. Oh sometimes I take a break and tidy , but I let the snips fall where they may. I think El was on to something when she started just tossing.

Isn't that what the floor is there for, to catch the scraps and threads???

I'm with you guys -- when I'm sewing, neat goes out the window. I do try to straighten up a bit at the end of the day and do clean everything up at the end of each project. It still can all get away from me!

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Isn't that what the floor is there for, to catch the scraps and threads???
    That's what I've always used mine for!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I clean after every project time is wasted cleaning during a project.
    that my story and I'm sticking to it.

I keep an old plastic quart ice cream bucket next to me and toss my scraps and snips in it as I can. It works very well when I am EPP, or hand sewing/ quilting. I do sometimes use the Elenor method, but I sew at my dining room table and if I leave stuff around to much the cats get a hold of it. Then it's just a bigger mess.

She is a hoot. I love talking with her and she would be welcome in my studio any day. She can also throw all the scraps around that she would want to.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    She (or her clone) definitely visits my sewing room. I vacuum the little bits and pieces up about once a week. Otherwise, who cares. Once in a while, the kitty drags one out to the other parts of the house stuck to his fur but I can handle that. Besides, who wants a neat sewing room. Then DH might think I don't ever use it. LOL!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Jim
    We love Eleanor, my wife and I would love to share an afternoon sewing and listening to her stories. We would be so enamored by them . I'd even clean up her mess. As for mine it gets scooped to the edge of the table where I have a bag waiting for the scraps of fabric and threads. I still get threads and bits and pieces but I clean them after each sewing session
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

I love Eleanor Burns. She might have visited my place a few times.

LOL that's my kind of quilter.

Power Poster
    LOL...I think she visits all of us from time to time.....

Quote Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
    LOL...I think she visits all of us from time to time.....

I think she bribes my dogs with biscuits. Because that is the only way she can get past them...
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Blog Entries
    m cutting out and something falls I for sure stop and go out of my way to pick it up. I think I have a problem. I hate things out of their place, lol....all this being said I am not that picky with the rest of the house just my sewing room. I really try to keep it neat, I straightened it up after I finish for the day and and even if I take a break I tidy up. Hate messy. Like I said wish I wasn't like this. I'm working on it though.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Eleanor is welcome here any time. She'd find most of her books and patterns on the shelves, so she'd probably feel comfortable. Plus the threads, scraps, and dust bunnies might be familiar sights! There's a door on my sewing room for a reason.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Hahahahaha! that was a good one!

"She" doesn't come to visit my large sewing/quilting area. I have at least 6 small trash cans from the dollar store. I have one at each station that I snip/cut at and one or two in a common walkway. To use them I just have to drop my hand and it's in a can! LOVE IT!

If I didn't do the trash cans, I'd have to cut away allllll those threads from the vacuum beater bar more often than I do...and I don't like taking that thing apart, wasting time doing snipping and then beating my knuckles trying to get it back together!

Nan
    https://napquilting.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/NAPQuilting/

My GOAL is to ALWAYS ENJOY EVERY STEP of the quilting process....

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
    Hahahahaha! that was a good one!

"She" doesn't come to visit my large sewing/quilting area. I have at least 6 small trash cans from the dollar store. I have one at each station that I snip/cut at and one or two in a common walkway. To use them I just have to drop my hand and it's in a can! LOVE IT!

If I didn't do the trash cans, I'd have to cut away allllll those threads from the vacuum beater bar more often than I do...and I don't like taking that thing apart, wasting time doing snipping and then beating my knuckles trying to get it back together!

Nan
    I'm with Nan. My sewing room is NOT neat, but I have containers for tiny scraps at strategic places. I also don't like having to dig all those threads out of the vacuum cleaner's beater bars.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I am lazy and have no desire to sweep the floor, so I use the trash can or my thread catcher.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

She's been here too! "Eleanor" does get around... Hahhahaha
    cpfrog - "Those who sew together, grow together." - Amy Dickinson

i think there are the remains of about 4 projects mounting a coup on my sewing room floor right now...

i am so glad i am good company here!

aileen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast