Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 05-03-2012, 05:12 AM
Swap Hosts

Here it is, Connie - Indian Delight. The colors are remarkable. The packages come quickly and with free bindi!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM

those look pretty for sure. I also had to look at some of their cool fabric and appliques. Hmmm very tempting but I took all credit cards away from myself so I can't buy anymore designs or fabric or anything until I am done with ufos. And my bills are paid up in full. Oh those medical bills anyway. but that is one cool sight and will keep that in mind.

I have been using Maderia's rayon thread and I notice that some spools like to break while others don't. I switched up to a larger needle than they say and then there was no issues at all. I went to a 90/14 embroidery needle. lots of great info here.

So I am doing the crazy quilt squares as well, what stabilizer are you using. I thought to use a tear away doubled should be sufficient but I am using batik fabrics which are already pretty stable, but then are you using foundation fabric like muslin then using the tear away stabilizer? Or would you use a cut away then do the crazy patch applique right off the start? Not sure, have nto started and Molly Maine does not have any info on them on her site, or I just cant find it, so thought to ask here. This is the first time I have used her designs and want to be ready for tomorrow when I get to work on it.

Great news! Finally, after 6 months of working on my laptop, it finally communicates with my Bernina 165 and i did not have to buy the new version or upgrade of software. i am so thrilled. Took quite a bit to do and lots of frustration because I know little about computers. I am so exstatic because I get to take my sweet little laptop with me tomorrow to sewing with friend.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer View Post
Designs and I have lots...how do you decide what you want to use them on? I don't like to use the heavy stitch count ones on my quilt blocks. However I continue to buy them because they are so pretty. I love the quilt block designs that are single or double run to quilt small projects. They look so precise and pretty.

I have several designs that I think are wonderful but then the stitch count will be upwards of 30,000 stitches or more. They take quite a while to stitch out. What stitch count do you ordinarily choose for quilt blocks?
I use the heavy ones on my quilt blocks if I truly like them. I do stitch them down when I quilt them as well. I just did a wall hanging that I used some heavy designs and when i quilted, I went around the embroidery, following each one and it looked so cool on the back. I know the larger stitches designs take some time, but if you really like them, it is so worth the effort. As well, I buy the designs that I think are pretty and I truly like, like the flower designs, then I stitch out what ever it is I want on my project. I found some awesome toile fabric and am going to stitch out some redwork and toile designs to coordinate. I have done some dq wallhangings with some of those heavy stitched designs because I wanted Montana to be special. It is in the project or quilt you are making which should help you decide if you truly want to stitch them out.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 AM

So question for you ladies. Does Bernina allow you to use another software to download designs into the machine? I accidently ended up with a 170 but no software to work with it and the new program, well bit pricey, and I noticed you ladies had discussed editor software, so is there some out there?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Is there a good tutorial some place on the web that explains how to quilt with the EM? Do any of you do that? And do you use a stabilizer, or does the batting act as a stabilizer? I've been seeing these great designs and thought it would be nice to try it.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 PM

You can quilt with emb and if you have your quilt sandwiched it does not need stabalizer. It is wonderful they suggest using the same thread in the bobbin and the top thread. I usually use the poly embroidery thread it works great.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM

Guess it might be easier on a QAYG! Does the type of batting make a difference? I've got a lot of warm and white on hand, but I also use a lot of poly batting for the GK's that want it "puffy", LOL!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 PM

Wow this thread has been well hid. Have been reading the posts for the last hour and it is great. Have a friend that would love this thread. She is on QB a lot and has not ran across this thread yet. I have subscribed to this thread to keep up with it now, but how can I email her to get her looking also.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 PM

I bought my friend's Bernina 830 and I stitched this out. I really like how fast the machine stitches and how great the quality is. Hope you like it.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-04-08.32.35.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM

Well that blew that theoy right out of the water!! lol Good luck with your project!!

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Divokittysmom, actually the ones that break are light in color. Go figure!
As for Sewer's Aid, that might explain a nasty little surprise I had a couple of weeks ago. While happily stitching away a black blob of something fell out of the machine onto the fabric. I tried to blow it off, but it wouldn't budge, so I stopped the machine and used my finger to remove it, but it smeared! Arghhh! Happily what I was working on wasn't a big project, just a needle case on muslin.