Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 06-27-2012, 01:30 PM

I have a Brother PE 150. I am trying to monogram but have a question. Is there anyway to stop my machine and make the middle letter larger without repositioning my material or starting point on this machine ? It seems like the machine will only sew the three letters the same size. Thank you
Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 PM

If you have embroidery software, I think you need to do this before going to the machine. If I am understanding your question correctly.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I'm going to respond even though every time I do it's like no one reads what I have to say. I posted last week about some sites for quilting designs (which someone asked for) and then there was still another request for the same info. If you go to emblibrary.com and under Kenny's Corner he has a spot where you can calculate how much thread, etc you'll need for projects based on how many stitches are in the design.
I think a lot of reposting is due to the length of this thread and all the topics in it. Again, it would be nice for embroidery to have its own section, so we could post separate topics. I find I miss a lot, or lose the info when I try to find it again.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
It depends on how good the jpg looks I have seen some that
was NOT worth saving, as for the text files I ONLY save those
if there are certain "details" about the design such as 3D FSL
and the "assembly" of the different pieces.

Otherwise I ONLY keep the .PES files but when there are other
file formats (for the other brands of machines) I put ALL the
original zip files (after I save a copy of the pes) and other formats
into a separate folder that I named "EXTRACTED ZIP FILES" this
way I ALWAYS have the complete file if I ever need it, but is "out"
of my way and I know that if it is in that folder than I have done
everything that I needed with it (extracting only my pes copy).
Same here, Louise, except that I have a separate Library called Embroidery with all the subfolders for categories below it. My downloads are extracted in download and then I move them to a file named 1 (so it's on the top). From there I open each file, dump the other formats, text, jpgs, etc. and move to the appropriate category. If you keep them all your computer is going to get overloaded before you know it.

And here is a little help on overloading it. Embroider This has over 200 designs to download for free. She has tons of tutorials and also blanks and supplies. You have to sign up to get the designs. Have fun!

Here's one more - http://www.cross-stitch-board.com/forum/content.php This is another one that has tons of free designs for machine cross stitch. I really love the kitchen alphabet! You can only download five every 24 hours, so it takes time to collect, but I have my computer's calendar set to remind me to do it each day.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady View Post
I think a lot of reposting is due to the length of this thread and all the topics in it. Again, it would be nice for embroidery to have its own section, so we could post separate topics. I find I miss a lot, or lose the info when I try to find it again.
I completely agree with this. This thread is up to 96 pages. It's been going for over 2 years. Seems like it deserves a place to call home.

Wish list!
Old 06-28-2012, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by natalieg View Post
When saving embroidery files to my computer, I know I only need the PES file to transfer to my PE 770. Was wondering about personal choices here.do you save only the PES file (with emb software you can see what it looks like) or do you save the jpg and text with it too?
I save the orginal folder still zipped in a folder called orders_site name and then only extract the design/doc that I need. My machine and pc can see everything that I download. I take the extracted file, rename it and and put it in a folder that makes it easy to find it in the future. If there are instructions I have a folder called instructions in My Docs where I save them all because they don't always show up in the folders geared for emb files. I name them so it's easy to find them. If there are pics and if not I convert a copy to a pic and place it in a folder in my picture folder so that I can print it out. There is no way after a while that I can remember all the designs that I have with out seeing them. A picture albumn allows me to do so. I keep the orginal in an orders folder so that I know what company I ordered the design from along with the orginal name/number the design had. If I have to retrieve it from the site in the future this data will allow me to know where to go and what info to put in. This is especially helpful when sites update their sites and retire designs. You can still get them but you need to know the orginal data.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:05 AM

Thanks QuiltyLouise for the link to the web site for Embroidery tips. I really can use the help from there.

I'm relatively new to quilting and embroidery, but love doing both. It would be nice to have a board just for Embroidery!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:06 AM

Perhaps we could start a new embroidery machine thread every couple of weeks so it would not be so long.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:36 AM

I researched it quite a bit through the internet and locally. What I have found is that a majority of them take the stitch count and round it to the next highest 1000 (4839=5000, 7265=8000) and then charge $1/1000 stitches. For me, I ran across a great deal with Joanns (relocating and having a close-out sale) and purchased all of their stabilizer on a bolt for cheap. There was a site somewhere that said with 1000M thread it supplies 200,000 stitches. Of course you are going to have thread waste for threading and for the extra inch or so at the beginning of each thread.

My first order was for 4 tshirts, one with a large design and one with 21 names and a small design (the other 2 were simple). I charged $74 (that included some discounts) and my expense was $2 using those figures. I had the people purchase their own shirts-this way there was no "it's not quite the color I was looking for" or "well normally I wear a large in another brand". They can get the quality they want, I just reminded them that thin and really cheap would not produce good results. Everyone was thrilled and I now will be doing the shirts for that retail business. I did offer a discount because of the fact that they are all good friends there and I have been bartering with quilting/purse/diaper bag making there for years.

Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
I've got a quick question: A friend wants me to do a Sunbonnet Sue quilt for one of her granddaughters. How do you charge for your embroidery? I'll have to buy the design pack (one or more) to embroidery them. I hate to charge her for the whole pack(s), because I will probably use them again. I also will need to do some kind of thread charge? Since she will be paying me for making and quilting the quilt as well, I need to have some idea what to charge for the actual embroidery.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:38 PM

I will be purchasing the Brother PE 770 this evening. Found a GREAT deal for a new one for $440.00!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002MQI2NM/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new