Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
English Paper Piecing >

English Paper Piecing

English Paper Piecing

Old 07-10-2015, 05:28 AM

Default English Paper Piecing

I am starting to get into EPP. I love it! But am wondering how I can cut large quantities of shapes? Being on a budget, right now is not the time I can invest in pre cut shapes. Any help I would appreciate it. Amanda
Old 07-10-2015, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Fiskars makes a paper punch that will punch 1" side hexagons. I got mine at JAF with a 60% off coupon.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:41 AM

I use the fiskars punch for my hexies (for a 1 inch hexie you need the xl size) and bought a ream of quite lightweight card. Or you can use old greetings cards and some have even suggested using the leaflets that you get in the post.

I bought the precut papers for my first hexie quilt and MUCH prefer having the option to just make some more when I need to. Also, there's basically no hand cramping, which I would get if using scissors!
Old 07-10-2015, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

If you take the shape you have like a hexie, you can increase or decrease the size by using a ruler and lay the ruler across the shape opposite sides. Mark how large you want to increase or decrease by going outside the hexie or inside the hexie. Do this at each point opposing point. Then connect the dots. Don't forget to add the 1/4" seam allowance. I have a hexies template but I also have old templates that I still use.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the response, I will take a look at it. I am doing 3 inch triangles now with the diamonds closing the final hexagon. I have been looking for the triangle punch but no avail. I will check out JAF!
Old 07-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
If you take the shape you have like a hexie, you can increase or decrease the size by using a ruler and lay the ruler across the shape opposite sides. Mark how large you want to increase or decrease by going outside the hexie or inside the hexie. Do this at each point opposing point. Then connect the dots. Don't forget to add the 1/4" seam allowance. I have a hexies template but I also have old templates that I still use.
I also mark the size of the hexies for a quick look.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Hint: if you go to inklingo site you can get a complimentary set of shapes by joining(no other charge involved) and the opportunity to buy additional shapes. Although Linda is primarily into hand piecing, those various shapes can be used for printing out EPP shapes on paper, not just fabric......
Old 07-10-2015, 07:54 AM

Look on line for free templates. I know Craftsy patterns have some that you can download for free. Don't know about triangles but you ought to be able to find them somewhere. Try math education sites if you can't find them on quilting sites. Get a small pack of card stock and print the templates on card stock and cut them out.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Power Poster

paperpieces .com will send out free samples for 3/4" size. I use mine over and over again. the more worn they get, the better I like them. I have the 3/4" and the 1" fiskers punch and use manila folders, junkmail and old cards and card stock from scrapbooking. i'm currently making a 1" gfg hex quilt. it's my summer hand piecing quilt, it's about 65 x 85 right now. working on it again today. almost done. have fun. it's addictive.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:30 PM

I took one hexi the size I wanted it and used it to draw lines across my printer paper the same size, then drew in the rest of the hexi shape between the lines, made the whole page that way, then put in the scanner and printed on my card stock and then cut out. Made a ton of them all at once. Worked great. I used bigger hexies than one inch I am thinking though.