Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enjoy the process or race to the finish line? >

Enjoy the process or race to the finish line?

Enjoy the process or race to the finish line?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:45 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I know this subject has been discussed before but then so have many others and we still always manage to find new things to say. :mrgreen:

I see so many threads on here about 'mile a minute', '10 minute blocks', 'quilt in a day', 'fast and frenzied' (OK I made the last one up!) and I really don't get it. There are also a bazillion books on the same theme. To me quilting is my passion and I love doing it. So I enjoy the process, the actual journey of designing, selecting fabrics, piecing, quilting, embellishing and binding.

If I just wanted to get something done quick then I could buy something cheap. Of course I sometimes have to work to deadlines, on a commission piece, a piece for a show or a gift for someone and I'm not referring to those kinds of occasions.

But this is a serious question - can all you 'race to the finishers' explain to me what actual pleasure you get if any from the process? Or is it only the sense of achievement in the finished quilt? Or is it that boredom sets in and you just want to move on to the next project? I can relate to the last one which is why I operate a multi-WIP system, but everything gets worked on and finished in the end and with the exception of SOME of the occasions with deadlines mentioned above, I ALWAYS enjoy the process - otherwise, what's the point? :-)

Just askin'...
Old 10-12-2011, 01:16 AM

I guess I'm one of those" Races to the Finish" girls. I enjoy the process of picking the fabrics and pattern, I enjoy seeing it come together, because I don't follow any pattern to the letter...but...then I start to think about my next project...current project is starting to get monotanous(sp)...okay, I've had enough of sewing this over and over and over again...I want this finished...okay, now I'm done but...I have to do the binding...UGH!!! My DH says my mind is always atleast two projects ahead of what I'm doing, so yes...I am a HurryUp person, but, I do not settle for mediocre work.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:24 AM

I honestly enjoy every single minute of making a quilt. I get excited when I get new fabric and start to think about my design, then once everything is cut and set to go I'm excited to start sewing. I'm a total hand quilter and paper piecer so sometimes it's laborious. But I can't wait every day until I have to time to sit down and do some work on my quilt. I always finish one quilt before I start another project but then I only make quilts for myself and family and friends.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:35 AM

Most of the time, I enjoy the process. But right now, I'm trying to finish 2 quilts before the end of the month. They are Christmas presents for my dad & step-mom, and for my half-brother.....They are coming from out-of-state at the end of this month for a visit. So I thought I'd give them the gifts to open while they're here, so I can see their faces when they see the quilts. I got my gift from them in July (when we went to their house), but I haven't used it yet. It's a set of kitchen knives, and I already have some great ones that I use.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:51 AM

I'm still pretty new sO enjoy the process. I like seeing it unfold!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:56 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thank you for your replies - they all make perfect sense! quilterella, I can understand what you're saying - perhaps the patterns and techniques you are choosing could be reviewed? Perhaps you could look at techniques that will hold your interest throughout the project? I can't make for example a large quilt from loads of identical blocks - I'd get bored very quickly and give up! I stopped beating myself up about leaving something half finished a looooong time ago. I have around 6 tops waiting to be quilted and a couple of other WIPs at different stages. If something has really lost my interest, or isn't turning out as I envisaged. I refuse to MAKE myself finish things I've come to hate - I've even cut things back up to salvage what fabric I can and binned the rest if I know it's a dead horse I'm flogging. I DO leave them to one side for a while first though to see if I come back later with fresh eyes I can fall back in love!

Brit kitty (great name!) I admire your dedication - I really do. :-D

Debbie, those are DEADLINES so I'll forgive you! :lol:
Old 10-12-2011, 01:59 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Painiacs
I'm still pretty new sO enjoy the process. I like seeing it unfold!
Perhaps this is it - we should all review our quilting habits from time to time so we KEEP this enthusiasm. It makes me sad when I see folk on here really despondent with a project and forcing themselves to carry on. BIN IT and start something else - life's too short! :-D
Old 10-12-2011, 02:02 AM

I'm usually motivated by time. I enjoy meeting a deadline. I might start a project with plenty of time, but when it comes right down to it, I am motivated by procrastination.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:28 AM

When I was younger, and time was of the essence and I was making gifts, I would look for something I could do quickly but still have it look wonderful. Now I'm more relaxed, retired and more time (but not all of it at home at my sewing machine!) and I can do more leisurely sewing. I think for some of us it is the time and place we are at that dictates what pattern or how much time we have to get the project done. :)
Old 10-12-2011, 03:33 AM

I take my time when making a quilt. I want the quilt that I make look good.