Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Enlarging finished quilt >

Enlarging finished quilt

Enlarging finished quilt

Old 09-06-2013, 04:18 AM

Default Enlarging finished quilt

A few years ago I made a quilt for a friend. At the time we thought I had made the quilt large enough to be used on either a double or queen size bed. Recently my friend got a queen size bed and would now like the quilt enlarged. I'm not sure if I want to take on this project - I think I would rather make a whole new quilt than try to make an existing quilt larger. My question is, how would you go about enlarging an existing quilt? I am thinking that I would take off the binding and then add another border or two, but how do I go about that? I can picture adding another border, but what about the batting? I have never done a "quilt as you go". Would I add the border in the same manner? I have more of the same fabric, but after five years I'm sure there is a difference in the colors at this time. I have time to think about this as I wouldn't tackle this project until after the holidays as I am busy making Christmas gifts at this time. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:27 AM

Make life simple, start a whole new quilt. Seems to me it would be easier LOL
Old 09-06-2013, 04:28 AM

I'm in the process of enlarging a quilt mt mother made many years ago. Would like to know how others handle this type of project.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:31 AM

I agree. Make a new quilt. That sounds a whole lot more fun than trying to make the other one larger. But others may have ideas that make enlarging it easy.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 AM
dd

If she's been using the quilt for a few years it would have some wear on it. Probably never find fabrics to match. Even what you have is going to be a challenge. I would say make a new quilt. I'm sure she can use the other for something else or exchange with her.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 AM

Come on ladies, where's your sense of adventure? Surely, someone on here has enlarged a quilt.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

My preference would also be to make a new quilt. You could make the old one larger, but it would probably look like an afterthought, the fabrics might not look the same, and it would not be much fun. If you decide to go that route anyway, Marti Michell's book Machine Quilting in Section describes methods that could be used to attach new borders all around.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 AM

I have a quilt to enlarge - once I get around to it - I plan on removing the binding and adding borders. It won't be easy, but my DH likes this one and he's worth the effort.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:47 AM

I made a quilt for my ds for his 3rd birthday. It is kind of short for him now that he is 12. Actually I made a new one, much bigger when he was 10, but he refused to use it, preferring that smaller quilt. Now he wants me to enlarge that older quilt. I guess he really loves it - has his smell and all! I am thinking removing the binding and adding blocks around it. It was made in patriotic colors (navy, red and blue). so matching colors shouldn't be difficult.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 AM

I made a quilt, got a new bed and the quilt wasn't wide enough to cover like I wanted. I made a strip for each side, about 12 inches wide and the length of the quilt, sandwiched it, quilted it to match the other quilting, and bound it. THEN, without removing the binding from the original quilt I stitched in the ditch of the binding of the original quilt to attach the extra piece I had made. It turned out perfectly and wasn't that difficult.