Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
EQ7 fabric downloads $5--is it worth it? >

EQ7 fabric downloads $5--is it worth it?

EQ7 fabric downloads $5--is it worth it?

Old 06-03-2016, 09:59 AM

Default EQ7 fabric downloads $5--is it worth it?

I'm new to EQ7, have worked with it some, but haven't yet added any fabrics beyond the ones that were loaded on it when purchased.

My question is this: I see that EQ7 is having a flash sale where you can download their fabric collections for $5 each. I'm wondering if anyone here has downloaded the fabric collections. Do you find them worthwhile? Or do you prefer to add fabrics yourself as needed?--I assume you do this by either scanning or photographing them.

I have a moderate size stash (between 200 and 300 yards divided between fat quarters, yardage and scraps) and generally use from my stash first, then purchase additional fabric as needed. Most of the fabrics in my stash were purchased within the last 4 years, so they might be in some of the collections EQ is offering on their website.

Thoughts from folks with EQ7 experience would be greatly appreciated.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 06-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Gay

Hi Rob.
I have EQ7, and can't find any good reason to add to the fabric library - unless I scan my own. I don't like half of what is already supplied and refuse to pay for more of the same just for the sake of a few fabrics that I do like.

Not sure if one can copy the manufacturers' current swatches on their websites and add them to the library, but that would be another way to go.

Think i'm just fed up with all the gimmicks companies use to get us to spend our money on things we don't really need - maybe I'mgetting old.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:21 AM

Some of the fabric manufacturers have EQ downloads. I've downloaded from Moda which was helpful when I designed my granddaughter's quilt. Not sure but I thing Connecting Threads might also have downloads.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:25 AM

Thanks Gay and quiltsRfun. I suspect that I would be better off scanning my own. I have some Moda and some Connecting threads, will check their websites.

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 06-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't pay for fabric downloads, but I've found a lot of free ones on Connecting Threads, and on EQ's own web site.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I wouldn't pay for fabric downloads, but I've found a lot of free ones on Connecting Threads, and on EQ's own web site.
Yes, I forgot about the monthly free downloads on the EQ website.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:34 PM

I don't have EQ7, I use the quilter program built in to my Bernina Designer Plus software, which is similar to EQ. The fabric libraries are old and date to when my version of software came out. But when I plan a quilt and want to use the exact picture of my fabric, I usually try to find a picture of it online, say from the manufacturer site, or the merchant if I purchase it online. Then I can import them into my quilter program and use them. If I can't find a picture I can take my own, transfer it to my computer, then import to the software.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

You don't have to scan your fabric if you can find a thumbnail print of it online Save that image to EQ.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:13 PM

Rob, sign up for their blog site and you'll get links to monthly downloadable fabrics for the library--they tell you how to get it to work on their site. Also, most manufacturers have a link for their new collections, unfortunately you often have to resize the picture of the fabric once it's on your computer (like you would for the Board) and then can link it to your EQ library. Using those 2 methods you'll get tons of fabrics with no cost.

As far as scanning your own fabrics, you can do that too but again it often needs resizing. And with panels (which you don't get with the libraries anyway) scanning just doesn't work! Have fun with EQ--I don't use it all the time, but it's a life saver--kept me from having my Christmas D9 turn into a Nazi Christmas quilt! And invaluable when you have blocks of different sizes and want to put together.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:30 PM

Hey everyone,
Thanks for all the great tips for importing fabrics into EQ7, not to mention saving me some money.

Rob