Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever find a mistake in a quilt book? >

Ever find a mistake in a quilt book?

Ever find a mistake in a quilt book?

Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 AM

Default Ever find a mistake in a quilt book?

My guild had asked members to make two scrappy blocks each for a special project. I found this pattern called Prayer Wheel in Strip Easy by Christiane Menuier. I read the directions carefully and verified the two templates for the pattern did not need to be enlarged or reduced...in fact the book says the templates are "full size." I used the copier and made sure there was no distortion. So far so good until I finished the first block...and there was a HUMP in the center!

I took the block apart and drafted my own template for the triangle sections. I added to the sides of the triangles. It worked out great so I did the second block. I tried to find a good e-mail to notify the author or publisher but I would have had to sign up to send an e-mail, and I was not willing to do that. I did write a review of the book on Amazon...looks like I was not the only one who found the mistake.

Have any of you ever found mistakes like that in your quilt books, patterns or magazines? How did you handle them? No doubt there are ladies out there who would like to know.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Banned

I find mistakes in patterns from time to time. It's best to do what you did. Read the directions carefully, make sure the fabric amounts are correct, (as I've found the amounts of fabric required to do a pattern to be wrong in patterns and you end up with not enough fabric). And before cutting all the pieces do enough for one block and make that one block to make sure it looks right. I've done an entire quilt and when put together it didn't make the same design as the picture. (I liked mine better so that was good.). As soon as you find a mistake in a pattern I would let the writer, or company know so they can make the changes to the newer prints and send out corrections for the ones already out for sale.
I've found mistakes in the WM quilt of the month patterns and marked each pattern with the correction before we handed them out.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 AM

most author sites will have an errata page
where mistakes are noted and corrected.
Some publishers will have the same thing.

I've also bought books new that had a printout inside of corrections that were found after publishing but before selling.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Well that is a bummer! Mistakes do happen but if people pay good money for a pattern it should be right. Thank goodness it was only one block but I would be nervous about trying another block from the book.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 AM

Yes, it happens...way too often...patterns should be tested, and retested for accuracy before they are published, but they must not always be.

I had a problem with the border on a pattern from a popular designer. I could not get it to work out without taking in every seam. After I was done, and frustrated, I did the math from the center of the quilt, to the border. It was oiff by 2"...no wonder I couldn't get it to work out. I wrote to the designer, and got an apology, and a free pattern.

If the pattern is in a book, sometimes it is caught quickly, and a sheet of errors is included in the book. Most designers also will have a page with errors on their websites.

The worst are patterns in magazines...always make a test block for those, and at each step of quilt after, I do the math to make sure the next part of the quilt will fit.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 AM

Yes , I have found mistakes. I bought a book , quite pricey I might add. I reviewed the pattern several times , and noticed a few abvious errors... so I went to the internet and found the authors web page... and there was a whole section for "corrections" to her patterns and books... The book I purchased .. had 50 pages with errors. Some just spelling, other very serious such as yardage requirements.
I felt such a heavy flawed book would be able to be exchanged for a version( printing) that had the corrections... No I was told to print off the corrections and just keep them with the copy I purchased.
The rush to publish has left the consumer with a lack of confidence. It seems that if I pay for a book or pattern I should be entitled to a level of accuracy.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:54 AM

Before our LQS closed I used to make a lot the samples the owner hung in the shop. Wall Hangings, Tablerunners and purses and totes. Most of the mistakes I found were in the purse patterns, one paticular Designer especially. If I found a mistake the shop owner would pull the patterns, if it was'nt something major, she would type something up and include it in the pattern.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM

It is all published or non published patterns which must be read reread and even then checked. Last night knitting I was to knit 7cm or 4cm for length of baby sleeve .4cm should have been inches. I try now adays to look at a block and how to make it not following the pattern.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

It does happen rarely - but I have found more in on -line patterns.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 AM

About ten years ago I bought several different pieces of fur fabrics for jungle cats for a quilt for my DSGD. I found the pattern in a magazine and bought bamboo fabrics to make the blocks to put the cat's on. I studied the pattern well before I cut and did the cat's first then the blocks of fabric next. I was half way through cutting the blocks before I placed a cat on one to see how it looked. I found the cat hung off the block about two inches on both sides. Thank goodness I was able to get more fabric and re cut the blocks. It taught me to double and triple check patterns for mistakes.