Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Allergies and Washing Fabric- PLEASE DO >

Fabric Allergies and Washing Fabric- PLEASE DO

Fabric Allergies and Washing Fabric- PLEASE DO

Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM

You've made a believer out of me - last thing I need is a staff infection!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:45 AM

Okay - I'm convinced!!!! Might also explain my weird allergy problems!!! thanks for the info!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Money is alot dirtier than fabric is and there is no way I am putting money in the washing machine! Next time you hold a dollar bill in your hands think about how many stipper buttcracks its been in. Are you going to wash it? I guess I just don't worry about stuff like this but really there is bad stuff every where you go, in everything you touch. NOT JUST FABRIC!
Originally Posted by Prism99
That sounds extreme to me. Staph is a bacterial infection you can get from touching almost anything someone else has touched. I think it would make more sense to advise someone to wash their hands frequently.

Of course, there are people who are allergic to some of the chemicals used to finish fabric; those people need to wash fabrics before handling them. However, allergies and staph are two different problems.
The only fabric I wash is swap fabric for this reason!
ROFLMAO @ Danni !!!!!
OMG your right!!!!
Plus did you know that all US currency has cocaine residue on it too?
I do not wash all of my fabrics because I want the crispness of the sizing when I cut and sew. I will wash when it is a fabric which may bleed. I think if someone is THAT worried about germs then perhaps they do need to wash everything...
The woman in question did not nessessarily get the Staph from the fabric or needle. It floats in the air, on steering wheels,cell phones,grocery store doors etc.
Proper hand washing is the best way to avoid infections, but sometimes even that doesn't work. It is the risk you take when you go out in public. Yes, I agree that third world countries are not as clean as we would like them to be, but I have seen some places in our own country that I'd shower after visiting as well.
I think that washing fabric or not is a choice that we each make for our own reasons.
:lol:
Old 09-14-2010, 12:52 PM

[quote=justwannaquilt]Money is alot dirtier than fabric is and there is no way I am putting money in the washing machine! Next time you hold a dollar bill in your hands think about how many stipper buttcracks its been in. Are you going to wash it? I guess I just don't worry about stuff like this but really there is bad stuff every where you go, in everything you touch. NOT JUST FABRIC!

LMBO!! Danni, that is so funny. I've known money is rather dirty, but I didn't quite have the visual..........yuck!! I'm using my credit card only.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Money is alot dirtier than fabric is and there is no way I am putting money in the washing machine! Next time you hold a dollar bill in your hands think about how many stipper buttcracks its been in. Are you going to wash it? I guess I just don't worry about stuff like this but really there is bad stuff every where you go, in everything you touch. NOT JUST FABRIC!
Originally Posted by Prism99
That sounds extreme to me. Staph is a bacterial infection you can get from touching almost anything someone else has touched. I think it would make more sense to advise someone to wash their hands frequently.

Of course, there are people who are allergic to some of the chemicals used to finish fabric; those people need to wash fabrics before handling them. However, allergies and staph are two different problems.
The only fabric I wash is swap fabric for this reason!
ROFLMAO @ Danni !!!!!
OMG your right!!!!
Plus did you know that all US currency has cocaine residue on it too?
I do not wash all of my fabrics because I want the crispness of the sizing when I cut and sew. I will wash when it is a fabric which may bleed. I think if someone is THAT worried about germs then perhaps they do need to wash everything...
The woman in question did not nessessarily get the Staph from the fabric or needle. It floats in the air, on steering wheels,cell phones,grocery store doors etc.
Proper hand washing is the best way to avoid infections, but sometimes even that doesn't work. It is the risk you take when you go out in public. Yes, I agree that third world countries are not as clean as we would like them to be, but I have seen some places in our own country that I'd shower after visiting as well.
I think that washing fabric or not is a choice that we each make for our own reasons.
:lol:
I agree completely about the messes that can be found in our own country. Lack of sanitation is not exclusive to third world nations. Plus, as others have pointed out, staph and allergies are two different things, and I think it's far more likely her staph came from her money than her fabric.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:47 PM

I don't see where dyes and chemicals spread germs, but dirty needles and even ordinary daily surfaces do.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 PM

The only fabric I wash is the stuff I use for the swaps, and i will soak peices that tend to bleed in some hot water then line dry. Never have I put fabric in the washing machine, all mine when i do wash it is hand washed.

I am also not overly concerned about germs. I was also brought up on a farm, and got into all sorts of mischief and unimaginable situations that were not pleasant, but had to be done. I beleive all this clap trap about 'must rid the home of all germs' is not a good thing for anybody, and contributes for the amount of allergies that we have today, and infections, as the body does not build up a good imune system to the every day germs that you will encounter on the outside of the home. Such as the "buttcrack" money (had to laugh at that one)and filthy supermarket trolleys and door handles that millions of people touch each year. Of course, keeping your home clean and tidy is a must in my book, but to go to extremes such as disinfecting every surface every day is rediculous. Have you ever noticed that the people that do this tend to get sick more often than others who are not so bothered about it? Thats just my opinion
Old 09-14-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by tweetee
The only fabric I wash is the stuff I use for the swaps, and i will soak peices that tend to bleed in some hot water then line dry. Never have I put fabric in the washing machine, all mine when i do wash it is hand washed.

I am also not overly concerned about germs. I was also brought up on a farm, and got into all sorts of mischief and unimaginable situations that were not pleasant, but had to be done. I beleive all this clap trap about 'must rid the home of all germs' is not a good thing for anybody, and contributes for the amount of allergies that we have today, and infections, as the body does not build up a good imune system to the every day germs that you will encounter on the outside of the home. Such as the "buttcrack" money (had to laugh at that one)and filthy supermarket trolleys and door handles that millions of people touch each year. Of course, keeping your home clean and tidy is a must in my book, but to go to extremes such as disinfecting every surface every day is rediculous. Have you ever noticed that the people that do this tend to get sick more often than others who are not so bothered about it? Thats just my opinion
I couldn't agree more!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

Ever wonder who has used the air and water before you just did?

I wonder how many times these two substances have been recycled since they were created.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the story, but I think this is the exception - not the rule. If I started doing all the things "I'm supposed to be doing" my poor system would get totally confused. Hey - some people need preservatives in their food, tannens in their booze, and chemicals in their fabric. DH has allergies - when the dust gets bad, he knows where the vacuum cleaner is. I figure you just need to outwait the dust bunnies. Eventually they get too big to be bothersome. (good grief - poor guy did not chose his wife well. lol)