Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fabric from Connecting Threads

I bought a brown Mirage from Connecting Threads and washed it because it became a sofa throw. I also felt resistance from the iron while ironing it. I keep my iron on the cotton setting but turned it down for this fabric and then it worked fine. Hope this helps.

I have had some issues too. Mostly with color changes after washing and or ironning, the feel of fabric, stretching of fabric when ironning, especially after washing. Overal I like the fabric and some of it I love. Maybe you can use a little spray starch when ironing?
    Anna Quilts

Although I've read of many very happy CT customers, I no longer place orders through them. I only ordered once; a kit for a tote in blue and brown, it had a star appliqued on it, but that's about all I remember. There were probably 8 or so different fabrics in the kit and, although it was 100% cotton, several of them felt more like polyester or a blend.

I'm fortunate to be able to buy from a couple of local Menonite stores for the same prices as CT offers, so if I'm looking for a good deal, I'll go there first. I also order from sale or clearance selections of other websites, and get fabrics from manufacturers that I've not had problems with.

It's another of those things that can make us happy for variety - some like CT, some don't and we can all do as we like because there are so many options.

I've ordered from them a few times, never had any problems. Some of their fabrics leave a lot of lint in my sewing machine. Some of it doesn't feel like 100% cotton, they claim it is though and it sews and washes fine.
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

I have never had a problem with CT fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Definitely call the company. Maybe they know about this already and have a solution. I use their fabrics quite a bit, but not the Mirage. Hope you find a solution.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi M View Post
    I read the posts nearly every day and notice that a lot of you mention buying fabric from Connecting Threads, so I decided I had to try it. The price was great, and the quality of the fabric seems great too, but I have had a hard time ironing some of it. I purchased some pieces from their Mirage section, and washed it because it felt stiff and starchy. When I go to iron the fabric, it seems like such a hard job because my iron does not want to smoothly glide over the fabric-just like it has some funny finish on it. Some of the colors are fine, though, so I don't know why some are that way. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do about it?
    I don't post much-I'm just happy to read about everyone else's accomplishments and what lessons they have learned that I can apply to my quiliting!
    I have bought a lot of fabric from CT and have loved all of it. I did get a two yard cut that had a quarter size grease spot on it. I called them and wanted to send it back. They told me not to bother and sent me another two yard cut free of charge.....Now that is what I call service. I have never had any problems ironing their fabric. Just call them...they are easy to deal with......Good Luck to you.....

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will contact them to see if they have any ideas. It is not my iron-just got a new one recently, and it's clean. I did try to iron it on the back, and that seemed to help also. It must be just some type of finish on it. It isn't enough of a problem to keep me from trying some of their other fabrics-can't wait to see what they put on sale next!

Blog Entries
    I have never had any problems with Connecting Threads Fabrics and I order from them quite often. If you clean your iron and it still is not satisfactory to you contact Connecting Threads and see what they say about it. There customer service is great.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

you can also clean the iron with a used dryer sheet, and I suggest calling them, they will make it good

Blog Entries
    Could it be our iron was set to hot?? try lowering the heat a bit.

Blog Entries
    've always had really good luck with ct fabric. never a complaint. sorry i can't help. welcome to the board from philly! and it's nice to have you post!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

I have bought several fabrics from C.T. and have loved it all, no problems. It is amazing some people have problems with exact same fabrics and lots more people have no problems. UM!!
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by reginalovesfabric View Post
    you can also clean the iron with a used dryer sheet, and I suggest calling them, they will make it good
    Just an aside, but used dryer sheets clean glass and chrome beautifully.

Peckish asked the question I was thinking...lol I use Magic sizing or Best Press when I press fabric
    after washing it. I would call the company, they need to know if it was a bad batch.

Dee
    I have never been disappointed.

I've never had a problem with fabric from CT.

Blog Entries
    Did you try ironning on the wrong side of the fabric - I think then you would know if it was the iron or fabric and turn your heat up a bit?
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2