Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric on hand >

Fabric on hand

Fabric on hand

Old 05-10-2009, 05:20 AM

Circumstances dictate a lot of actions. Personalities control just as much. I have fabric for quite a few projects, some of my own purchasing but a lot from a friend who shares my tastes and loves to shop. Also, just for the record, I hate shopping and that helps curtail stash building. Sometimes limited choice is fantastic for creativity because it forces you to look outside the box. I bought specific border fabric for this quilt but getting it home it no longer did anything for me. I then shopped at the massive amount of fabric at my disposal and choose something I had previously thought unsuitable. Shopping changed my perspective and as a result I had yards of fabric that became a thorn in my side.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-23690.jpe  
Old 05-10-2009, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maribeth
Originally Posted by Moonpi
I feel sorry for folks like that - they miss all the bargains and limit their imaginations. Some of the best quilts don't come from pattern books.
I feel that way, too :D .

I think we all understand living within a budget, but this is how I spend my fun money.

edited to add:
Terri, my husband would agree with your husband.

Ditto here

I would hate for DH to find out there are quilters who only buy for a specific project. He thinks it is an addiction that can't be helped until I get a "fix" and buy some material!

I am not a shopper, don't spend money on things I don't need, so I don't feel guilty for indulging myself on material. I am a scrap quilter, and I love sitting in the floor with my stash around me deciding on what to put in my next quilt. OK, I am a little crazy, but my material sometimes tells me what it wants to be placed in.

I have a quilt made with 4 in blocks that is King size. I made it 3 years ago and it has a piece of material from every quilt that I had made and a lot I have made since. No 2 pieces are from the same piece of material and I could probably make another one now.

I LOVE MATERIAL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ninnie
Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 AM

When it comes to fabric, the word "ENOUGH" is not in my dictionary :D Besides, I deserve it !! :lol: :lol:
Old 05-10-2009, 05:56 AM

I sometimes buy for a specific design.... but I'm pretty sure that my last purchase of 17 yards for a 100"x100" quilt WAS a bit much. :mrgreen:
Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 AM

How is it possible to pass up a sale on fabric?
I dont need it but what a bargain, I will use it someday.
Then I build that stash Im so proud of. But it is still small compared to others I have seen. Must buy more.
And gadgets with coupons? Joanns has all the stuff to stock up on things I wont use now but surely will in the future, right?
Im hooked.
Books and magazines, so much fun to drool over. 100 quilters could not make all the quilts in their lifetimes but cant resist, this one has something I havnt seen before, buy, buy, buy. Later looking thru a few and realize I dont even remember looking at it before. Its like a new magazine again.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:59 AM

I probably have enough fabric to last another lifetime! Will I quit buying fabric??? Hmmm, don't think I'll answer that one.... :roll: :roll:
Old 05-10-2009, 07:00 AM

hmmmm well I started just buying for what I was working on. I now have 2.5 18 gal tubs of fabric. I know since I just moved the fabric out of the plastic XXL bags.
I have done this on a limited income. I have had to give up other wanted items never bills.
My biggest problem is I am getting rid of all unused "stuff" trying to downsize, nope cant do it with my quilting supplies.
I now have my retirement activities all planned LOL
Old 05-10-2009, 07:11 AM

After over 50 years of fabric collecting, I have started to purchase ONLY what I need to do a project. I will not allow myself to go shopping unless I have a certain project in mind. I try to use what I can in my stash, and purchase only what I need to go with it. I have too little space for more and not enough time in my lifetime to use what I have.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by MsSage
I now have 2.5 18 gal tubs of fabric
I have 30 27 gallon tubs so I obviously don't buy "per project". Never have, probably never will, but I love being able to design projects based solely on yardage already in my stash (I don't do scrappy). My income is also limited, but fabric and batting are the only extras I buy and quilts are all I give as gifts. It balances out. I call it a health expense...mental health! :)
Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 AM

LOL. I keep saying I am going to make a project just from my stash. For some reason, I never have just the right fabric even for a so called scrap quilt, so off to the store I go and of course I have to pick up a couple of fabrics, just in case I don't like the one I chose.