Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Fabric purchases

Blog Entries

Fabric purchases

How do you purchase your fabric? I look at people's projects and think I have all the colours but not enough of the background colour ie usually white. Love the pin wheels with white background but I could never start as I know I don't have enough white. I can work out quantity, do you purchase that amount or more? Do people buy part bolts in one background colour?
    I started a project luckily when I required more fabric found a location in USA who had some but it was very expensive. I have a stash of all colours which would just be too much without a plain or cooler background.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Power Poster
    Thats a hard question because everyone has a different answer. I personally will buy extra fabric for lots of reasons, mainly, as hard as I try, I can't cut straight.
    SueDor

When I find fabric that I use often, shchi as whir on white or grey, I buy 3-4 yards.

Sounds like you need to go on a fabric buying trip!! but....only buy tone on tone creams, whites and light fabrics. I might buy 20 different FQ's because I love to do scrappy quilts and have plenty of colored fabrics or I would buy at least two yards of any one good light fabric to complete an entire project. You will always be able to use lights in any project......find a friend to share a half yard ( usually less $ than a FQ ). She buys from one store and you buy from another store, then go for coffee and split out what you have purchased....fun and you will double what you have in your stash. Just be sure your friend has the same taste in ''quality'' fabrics and doesn't cheap out on you!!

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I used to buy 1/2 yards and fat quarters...but after ten years of quilting I find that I never have enough on hand of what I need. I tend to be a purposeful buyer, I buy fabric with a specific quilt in mind. Now a days I buy 1/2 yard minimum and usually 1-2 yards at a time. I never have a lot of "neutrals" or whites on hand either so I made it a habit to buy at least 1/2 yard neutral every time I went fabric shopping and that helped to build up my stash. Though...I still often end up having to buy at least SOME fabric for a new project!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I was told by a LQS owner to always buy three yards of a fabric if it does not have a project to go into, but it is for your stash. However, I still seem to be a 1/4 yard short, when I go to use it. I don't think there is a magic yardage. If you like a piece buy plenty. If you come across a sale, stock up on background fabric. Buy six yards of a light colored tone on tone, (white or cream) and then you will have plenty for what ever you need, and you will always use it in something. I inherited my mom's stash, and she had bought six yards of a white on white when our LQS went out of business. I have used it as a background for three quilts and still have plenty.

Blog Entries
    I buy bolts of fabric I know will make good background or backing. I buy bolts from Marshall's Dry Goods. There are usually 8 - 15 yards on a bolt.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    When I see fabric on sale I will buy several yards of one design. This weekend, I was looking for muslin and found good quality quilting fabric cheaper, so I bought 10 yards of white tone on tone for $4. That was all they had, or I would have bought more. Maybe that is why I have such a huge stash!

I tend to buy bolts of fabrics in solid and tone on tone. I also bargain shop to get the best deal however if I really like something such as batiks I'll buy it no matter what the price is if it appeals to me. Because I am a free spirited designer I seldom buy less than five yards of anyone type.

I do not use patterns and create what I see in my mind as I use the fabric. So I am the type that stitches, than slashes, and may stitch it all back up and may even slash it again to get the effect I see in my mind.

I waste nothing so even the smallest scraps, threads and such are saved to incorporate in a piece later on.
    clsurz

Blog Entries
    Thank you all you all saw my problem . This winter living in England like some of you I didn't want to go out in the icy snowy weather. Buying can be. Problem as my friend has a fantastic quilt shop close to. Beautiful fabrics which are her choice and I like to see new or different designs. I think I will start to collect bolts of tone on tone creams and whites it is always this colour I'm short.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I buy muslin (bleached and unbleached) by the full bolt when it's on sale. I'm just starting to use it more, so will have to buy more soon. When I find other good background fabrics at a terrific price, I buy as much as there is. We're all naturally drawn to the more colorful fabrics, so whenever I'm at a fabric sale I make an effort to search out the neutrals.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    My fabric purchases depend on if/what/how ..LOL if I mess it up what will will I do to fix and how much more do I need to fix it? If I don't do any of those .. then I have extra fabric for something else later on !LOL Oh and if I like the fabric; then there is lots of extra .. LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned
    I go to Joann's and buy a bolt of 120" white muslin with my 40% off coupon. Nothing goes to waste and it will last me about 1-2 years.

Personally I like to use a whole bunch of different neutrals when I do something with a neutral background. I generally don't buy more than a yard of a white on white, cream on white, white on cream, etc, etc and then I'll use a mix of at least 10+ in one quilt.

I like to buy assorted tone on tone fabrics for my stash. When I piece a quilt I don't use a solid white throughout the entire quilt but use the assorted tone on tone fabrics. This way I don't run out of 'a' fabric when piecing becuase I always have a lot of tone on tone on hand. I think this makes a quilt more interesting than using a solid white fabric. And you do always run out of a solid white fabric, and every white fabric is always a different color, impossible to match.

I understand your problem! Most LQS give a substantial discount for buying 'what's left on the bolt' so I keep an eye on the bolt size. As a result I have perhaps six pieces of background fabric stashed on their bolt boards. I have off-whites, creams and a couple that are almost tan. They can be used alone as matched backgrounds of mixed up for a different look. But, I do keep an eye on those background colors.

I don't typically stash " background" fabric. If I want to make a quilt with a large quantity of one color for the background, I assemble the other colors I have and want to use and buy the background fabric for just that project.

A few years ago when Walmart was getting rid of their fabrics at my local store, I bought tons of really nice quality tone on tones. I think the biggest piece I got was 11.5 yards. The rest were 6 or 7 yard pieces. I don't think I will ever run out of tone on tones! I never purchased much from Walmart because of the quality, but these were all as nice as what I buy in my LQS.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Thats an easy one for me. I dont buy fabric unless its on sale, so I buy a min of one yard. If its a really really good sale I buy 3 yards.
    Quilt outside of the box!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just love quilting board. I get so many tips. Thank you all!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    How do you purchase your fabric? I look at people's projects and think I have all the colours but not enough of the background colour ie usually white. Love the pin wheels with white background but I could never start as I know I don't have enough white. I can work out quantity, do you purchase that amount or more? Do people buy part bolts in one background colour?
    I started a project luckily when I required more fabric found a location in USA who had some but it was very expensive. I have a stash of all colours which would just be too much without a plain or cooler background.
    I wait until Kona Cotton is on sale and then I buy 4 to 6 yards of a different color each time. It has helped to build up my background stash and it is always there when I need it. Buying a little at a time helps not to break the bank.

I keep several yards of bleached and unbleached muslin on hand

When I am browsing thrift stores, I always watch for sheets that are good colors for backgrounds, including white ones. You get a LOT of yardage in a sheet and can make a lot of backgrounds from just 1 sheet.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Power Poster
    If I see a fabric I have to have I buy between 2 -3 yards, however, when I see fabric on sale, I will buy 6-8 yards, especially if it is a white on white or being tone on tone, as these are my basics for backgrounds. If I see a great fabric I will buy the 2-3 yards, but then also buy one or two other pieces to go with it, but buy only 1 to 1 1/2 yard pieces. I guess it just depends on what I see, if it's a good price, and if I have the money to buy it, especially since I'm on a fixed income. It's a good thing I brought lots of my stash with me when we downsized, so I generally "shop" in my totes, although sometimes there is just a piece I have to have.