Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Quality?

Blog Entries

Fabric Quality?

Is the fabric "soft and comfy dot fabric" at JoAnn's the one that some board members said was of poor quality?? Just saw a sale add for it.

Blog Entries
    we really are not supposed to (post negative comments) about specific stores & their products- the best way to tell is visit the store, handle the fabric- see if it's one you like- or one you find to be *sub-standard* --- some people can only afford to buy fabric at walmart- or joannes with coupons- that should not mean they should not quilt- use the best you can afford and be happy- there are certainly people who believe any fabric from a 'big-box-store' is poor quality- that's just some opinions...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Is that the description of the Minky like fabric? If so, I thought it was a good quality when I was considering it for a robe.

Blog Entries
    I apologize if that was read as negative toward the store. I was only referring to a thread that I remembered commenting on the quality of that fabric and assumed someone here had used it. I have read many references on the board concerning fabric quality of different brands. Believe me, I do not condemn bargain hunting for fabrics. I have seen this fabric in store but have not used it or known anyone who did. Sorry if I stepped on any toes!

Blog Entries
    I've used it and felt it was of good quality. Just a cheaper version of Minky. Kind of like when you buy a car: Lexus vs. Toyota!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I've used it and felt it was of good quality. Just a cheaper version of Minky. Kind of like when you buy a car: Lexus vs. Toyota!
    Thank you! I was considering it for backing on some throws and baby quilts.

Wash it first and see how it holds up. I bought some minkee like fabric from them and when I washed it, there were huge fur balls all over it. This fabric was soft and furry on both sides. The good stuff will only be furry on one side. I have bought lots of good fabric from Joanne's. Especially love the 50 to 60 percent off coupons. That's where I bought the dragon fabric at and it's normally $13.99 a yard and I was able to use a 60 percent off coupon on it.

I would do the touch test. My rule of thumb is that if I hold it up and can see through it then it's too thin regardless of whether it's from Joanne's, Wal-Mart or a quilt store.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I do the same test as AlienQuilter. If you can see through it go a little better. Often the better that you can get discounts for is just being discontinued. If there is only 2 yards on a bolt and I really like the material, I'll buy the whole bolt.

I'm with all of you who do the "see and feel" testing of fabric.

If it doesn't feel good I don't buy it.

I've been known to go ahead and get some that was marginally thinner than I prefer but it was the right color and felt good!

There are different quality of fabric. Some at the discount store may be what are called seconds which do not live up to the quality that LQS demand. When I first started to quilt, one of the major lines of fabric was very stiff and starchy. I always prefer to check the fabric in person, see how see thru it is. Take a scrap of Hoffman or Moda. I always consider them the best quality. But then again, that is just my opinion. Good Luck !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Like all fabric I have to feel and look at it closely no matter where I buy it- from a LQS, Walmart to Joannes. I have found great fabrics in all stores. I have to shop by prices tho being on a fixed income.

Power Poster
    Actually, some of my very favorite fabrics have no name on the selvage.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all your kind responses. I thought someone might know exactly what fabric and how it did since I have to drive almost 100 miles to do the touchy-feely test!

I have bought and used that fabric before with no problems!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
    Some of us don't even have a store other than WalMart near enough to shop for fabric. :-( I use fabric.com and JoAnn's online ALL the time and to date I've not been disappointed in quality. Unless I need something specific I always buy on sale and with free shipping it's really a bargain..... no gas to travel and no tax at fabric.com. :-)

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me asking quilters about "quality" of fabric is like asking people about the "taste" of a food. Everyone has different ideas on what is and is not acceptable. Until you are friendly enough with a person to know if you generally agree or disagree with their opinions, it's hard to know.

My policy is to buy what I can afford. If I buy online without touching the fabric, I understand it is a certain risk. So far, the risk has always paid off and I've not been disappointed in my purchases.

If I end up with something I really can't stand, I plan to try out some blocks that are beyond my skill set, quilt it with designs that are too hard for me and take it out to the pet shelter. It would be good practice for me and the animals won't care if my points miss by a mile and my feathers look like spaghetti.

Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
    "If I end up with something I really can't stand, I plan to try out some blocks that are beyond my skill set, quilt it with designs that are too hard for me and take it out to the pet shelter. It would be good practice for me and the animals won't care if my points miss by a mile and my feathers look like spaghetti."

Now that's an idea I can wrap my head around! Thanks for the suggestion. :=)

Just remember to clean out your bobbin case after you use any of that type of fabric as it sheds a lot while sewing. Even the ones that are the best.

No matter which fabric manufacturer makes the cloth or which store sells it, I go by the touch feel. I will not mention the name, but I know of one fabric company which sells a line of its fabrics to LQS and sells a different line to stores like Joann Fabrics, Wal-Mart, etc. Some manufacturers do the first run or runs of a fabric design on less expensive fabric before doing subsequent runs on quilt store quality fabrics. The first runs are sold to stores such as Joann's and so on.
    Last edited by quilttiger; 07-16-2013 at 03:06 AM.

All companies make good, better, best. I have to always remember that you get what you pay for.
    Indiana Diana

I agree with the fact that a lot of us quilter's have to watch our pennies and we have to shop for the best we can afford. I shop JoAnns and Walmart. I also shop the thrift stores, garage sales, consignment shops etc and find wonderful sales and bargains for great fabrics that have been donated. Thanks
    Pat
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    the only difference I see with Joann fabrics is that they don't carry big name designer fabric such as Michael Miller and such but their fabric is good I use it with no problems and it usually does not shrink or bleed as much either remember when you buy big name you also pay for the name I also like connecting threads 5.96 a yard

Blog Entries
    I remember my first quilt teacher saying "don't just stick to craft fabrics, check out other fabrics as well". Also recall Mary Ellen Hopkins saying you can use whatever you want provided you are prepared to take the time to make it suitable for your quilt. She referred to a "wibbly wobbly" fabric (her words) she loved to use but it had to be stabilized first.
    I know there are quilters who look down their noses at anything that isn't from the LQS but if they think of early American quilting they will remember the ladies used whatever was available for everyday quilts. I make my quilts to be used and even worn out. If one wears out from being loved I'll gladly make another for that person. Mistreat a quilt I've given and you are not likely to get another.
    Following on what Joellyn said:- We all have our own opinions.

I agree with your answer. I have found that you can find good quality fabric at any store. I worked in the fabric department at Wal Mart. I personally have found some fabric of excellant quality there. Just go to the store and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    we really are not supposed to (post negative comments) about specific stores & their products- the best way to tell is visit the store, handle the fabric- see if it's one you like- or one you find to be *sub-standard* --- some people can only afford to buy fabric at walmart- or joannes with coupons- that should not mean they should not quilt- use the best you can afford and be happy- there are certainly people who believe any fabric from a 'big-box-store' is poor quality- that's just some opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by marcycn View Post
    "If I end up with something I really can't stand, I plan to try out some blocks that are beyond my skill set, quilt it with designs that are too hard for me and take it out to the pet shelter. It would be good practice for me and the animals won't care if my points miss by a mile and my feathers look like spaghetti."

Now that's an idea I can wrap my head around! Thanks for the suggestion. :=)
    Hi Marcycn,
    Gosh, I live in Homosassa, how cool is that. Are those your youngesters? How cute they are.
    Carol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast