Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: fabrics before vs. after

Why is it when I see a grouping of fabrics, like in a charm pack or a jelly roll, I don't think they are that pretty but once I see something created from them, I love them?

Am I the only one?

I really didn't like the Fandango line but I just saw a quilt made from it and I'm in love.

Blog Entries
    You are not alone (smile).

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Hmmmm, not my experience but glad you like them !!
    I fall in love with them all packaged up so cute lol :D:D

I love to look at jelly rolls but am afraid to take them apart!

I do the same thing..

Me too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    I love to look at jelly rolls but am afraid to take them apart!
    I'm that way too. I recently got a layer cake and a jelly roll and didn't want to take them apart to plan the quilt cause they looked so nice all bundled up. :)

That's why the best quilt shops have samples made up - you fall in love with the fabrics and then buy them!

Kind of like looking at a dress on the hanger - sometimes you just have to try it on

It's the same syndrome that causes me to bypass fabric in the LQS until the person ahead of me in line has it and then I have to have some. Just the act of someone else planning to do something with it makes it attractive to me. :roll:

I have the same problem, sometimes I don't even like it on the bolt until I see something made from it! :)

Blog Entries
    Same here. I can't tell you how many quilts I've seen here and on blogs and when I go to look at that fabric line somewhere I think I don't like it (but usually buy it anyway).

I'm kind of the opposite. I love all the pre-cuts. I guess, it's because I'm not the best at putting fabrics together and this is an easy an convenient way to know the fabrics play well together.

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. I worked at a LQS years ago and started to appreciate fabrics I wouldn’t have otherwise used. I used to love country looking quilts (and still do) but came to love bright colors when working there. Even though a fabric may not appear that pretty it can go beautifully with other fabrics. The least favorite fabric I have is one I use frequently because it plays so nicely with other fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by kriscraft99
    Why is it when I see a grouping of fabrics, like in a charm pack or a jelly roll, I don't think they are that pretty but once I see something created from them, I love them?

Am I the only one?

I really didn't like the Fandango line but I just saw a quilt made from it and I'm in love.

I feel the same way plus I have always felt that I got a whole lot less for my money in buying pre-cuts versus the yardage I did like regardles of pattern. I realize the ease of not cutting for many people but I just prefer to do it all on my own and purchase only the fabrics I truly like from whatever the particular line may be. I imagine until my hands start giving me problems I will probably continue to do it this way.

Power Poster
    Sometimes a fabric looks so much better in someone else's cart, arms, or stack than it did on the shelf.

Blog Entries
    Oh I thought it was ME ! I was just looking at my three jelly rolls this a.m., touching them, thinking about them but AFRAID TO TAKE THEM APART ! Even printed off instructions this a.m. on how to make a quick J.R. quilt....my today excuse is that I've got so many other projects going on...am I working on them, NO,I'm on the Board !

I got a package from my DD in MO today;she knows that I started off with a rag quilt; she bought me a pattern (Simp) that shows several rag quilts,one dinosaur(sp?)in particular that would be cute made with jeans......

I've got two pieces of chocolate/teal blue fabric and found a JR with the same family of colors and want to make a quilt of them.....haven't approached it yet...just looking at it. The funny thing is chocolate/teal is not even my favorite color palette !

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    SO funny...I am right there with you. It's like my dots....I never would have done one and now that I was shown a particular pattern...I'm hooked. And the Fandango line rocks. I saw the quilt she posted too. Awesome. I'm sure there are lots more of us in this quilty boat. LOL