Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat quarters question >

Fat quarters question

Fat quarters question

Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 AM

As with everything else in life, best does not always equal expensive. I am new to quilting too so I have yet to buy from a quilt shop. I do oggle what they have alot. All my fabric I have bought so far has come from Hancocks, Joann's, or Walmart. I can't see spending alot on fabric then making an 'oops'. I've read alot of post on here and one thing I can say, everyone has their own opinions about where to get the best fabric! I say go with what you like, at the prices you like. Until I know what is 'not so good' and what is 'great', I will stick to choosing by price. I can tell you that after my first quilt, I did learn about which fabric I like to use. All of them came from Joann's but they were all different to use. Make some quilts and have fun!
Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM

I just finished my little visit to quiltville.com . I absolutely love her work and in thoughts on quilting. I read an interesting blog from her. Someone asked her why she doesn't buy all the high end fabrics and the big names and the kits.... this is what she said... and I quote it. I printed it off for myself.

"I am a Quiltmaker because I make quilts. Not because I buy the latest fabric at whatever price it retails at.

I am a Quiltmaker, driven to create by what I have on hand, not by the kit I can buy so my quilts will look just like everyone else's, so we can list the designers and collections by name in mixed quilt-company.

I am a Quiltmaker, not blown in any direction by the winds of change prevalent in the fashion and home dec industry. I make what I want to make, no matter which colors or fabrics are "in" or "out".

I am a Quiltmaker inspired by designs of Quiltmakers Past, who used the scraps they had from making the family's clothing, bedding,and more to make the quilts that covered the ones they loved at the most vulnerable times of their lives...while they slept, keeping those they loved safe and warm. This is also what drives me, this connection to those who came before."

Smart woman in my eyes.

Cheers
Old 08-20-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by shellyp
As with everything else in life, best does not always equal expensive. I am new to quilting too so I have yet to buy from a quilt shop. I do oggle what they have alot. All my fabric I have bought so far has come from Hancocks, Joann's, or Walmart. I can't see spending alot on fabric then making an 'oops'. I've read alot of post on here and one thing I can say, everyone has their own opinions about where to get the best fabric! I say go with what you like, at the prices you like. Until I know what is 'not so good' and what is 'great', I will stick to choosing by price. I can tell you that after my first quilt, I did learn about which fabric I like to use. All of them came from Joann's but they were all different to use. Make some quilts and have fun!
Another smart woman!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cathy M
Hi Donna- You are 'allowed' to use whatever fabric that you want to play with. My first quilt was made from mens' flannel shirts I bought at the goodwill. It lasted forever and I got to learn through many mistakes without spending a ton of money on fabric. Just enjoy yourself and have fun. As alot of people say on this site- there are no quilt police :):):)
First of all thank you everyone for your advise!
Cathy... I've been working on a quilt using fabric that was given to me, it's old curtains, I felt it was a cheap way to practice and learn. I'm backing it with flannel. I have an old white blanket, I was wondering if I could use it instead of batting? I plan to quilt it by just tying it with yarn. If it turns out, I plan to give to my friend who gave me the curtains. So far it has turned out OK. I see some mistakes, but I know my friend won't care.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 PM

I feel the same way as a lot of you. I pick fabric because I like it and I am always aware of the price. I buy JoAnn's, Wal-Mart, Hancocks and online once in a while. I have picked up fabric that I could tell was just way too flimsy and put it back. I make quilts because I enjoy it, not to impress people I don't know by using "designer" fabrics, patterns, etc. Do it for the love of it. You'll figure it out as you go along. Welcome to our board.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 PM

You know...it seems to me that quilting is getting to be an elite practice and I am all about quilts/blankets to use.
Isn't this what they were intended for?
Years ago I made some quilts for my bestfriends children, she packed them away and never let her children use them...at all.
Well, the oldest passed away at 19 this year, never to have snuggled under his quilt I made him at 10...the daughters haven't seen their quilts in years...
SO...I send them a lap top every year for this reason...I figure one of 'em will get used...
Use the fabric you want to use, be it JoAnns, A Quilt shop or scraps. Quilts are labors of love for most of us. A Blanket to comfort, warm us and secure us...
Create...dont worry about the other stuff...
K
Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by KO24
You know...it seems to me that quilting is getting to be an elite practice and I am all about quilts/blankets to use.
Isn't this what they were intended for?
Years ago I made some quilts for my bestfriends children, she packed them away and never let her children use them...at all.
Well, the oldest passed away at 19 this year, never to have snuggled under his quilt I made him at 10...the daughters haven't seen their quilts in years...
SO...I send them a lap top every year for this reason...I figure one of 'em will get used...
Use the fabric you want to use, be it JoAnns, A Quilt shop or scraps. Quilts are labors of love for most of us. A Blanket to comfort, warm us and secure us...
Create...dont worry about the other stuff...
K
I couldn't have said it better and agree 100% with your sentiments KO24!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:11 AM

Go ahead and use the blanket for backing and have fun tying it. Your friend will love it cuz you made it. Sometimes that is the best part of quilting- sending those invisible hugs and loves.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 AM

I noticed the elitist comment and had to say that there have been and will continue to be the rule followers and rule dictators, they are not necessarily elitists, but "purists" in my opinion.

There are also a lot of people who want the very best, regardless of cost and can afford to do so. Whatever makes you happy.

I'm a practical person and I do use what I have on hand but enjoy the process of purchasing at my local quilt shops. The material is a better quality and I do mix with my less expensive JoAnn material and my hand-me-down material from the 70s and 80s...I prewash everything in my stash and some people will insist that these can't work together....they can and do. Experiment, find rules to break, and enjoy the process. Buy what you want and create your art.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:53 AM

I do mix fabrics as well. Can't always pay the quilt store prices. Could I make a suggestion eweandme? Instead of using yarn to tie your quilt I use embroidery floss. It always looks nicer longer than yarn. Just a suggestion. I use the whole strand. I agree, just feel the fabrics and if they feel stiff and scratchy in anyway I would steer away from them. As you go along you will begin to tell the difference in fabrics. Just go with what you like.

Debbie