Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite New Little Helper

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    I use the silver hair clips. Lots cheaper! And I have enough to go around a king size quilt.

http://www.craftembellishmentworld.c...ap-Clip/Detail
    I am with you. These have so many uses in the craft room. I bought mine at Sally's 100 clips for $5.95. They so easy to remove while sewing.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I bought 3 bags of 20 each at my local dollar store - before that I used wooden clothes pins.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
    I use the silver hair clips. Lots cheaper! And I have enough to go around a king size quilt.

http://www.craftembellishmentworld.c...ap-Clip/Detail

[QUOTE=kydeb;5858327]Some time back I purchased the wonder clips to try out.

I was just wondering if they are so much better than the silver hair clips? I have a ton of the hair clips. I really like using them. would it be worth the expense to buy the wonder clips and not use my hair clips?

I used to use silver hair clips but the wonder clips are easier for my arthritic hands to clip on and off. Love them!

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    I LOVE my wonder clips. In fact, I am thinking of buying more so I can clip the entire binding.
    I use the wonder clips, too and I love them. But I can manage with the original 10 because I don't clip the whole binding at once. I clip a section, sew it , and sort of "leap frog" the clips as I go. It's always been fine for me. Of course, I'm not going to discourage anyone from buying more supplies!! ( have you seen the BIG green clips? - cool!)

I use my wonder clips when I piece. There is no buckling or sliding of the fabric like happens with pins and matching seams is much easier. It's much easier to keep all of the pieces square when there has to be some easing. I've never used them for binding yet but I use them almost every day! BTW...the clips are marked for the quarter inch seam.

Quote from gardnergal970: BTW...the clips are marked for the quarter inch seam.

Thanks gardnergal. No one else has told us about the marks on the Wonder Clips that let you know how far to put them on. There are three marks on the back side, for different width bindings. Also: they are flat on the bottom so that they slide effortlessly; they are so TINY and they are so CUTE; they work so well.

So why don't I use mine any more?

I found out about ELMER'S SCHOOL GLUE. On this board, of course. Google that and you will be amazed. Now I see there is a plastic tip available that can be screwed right onto the Elmer's bottle that will let you put on a thin line of glue. I forgot which site I saw it on, but it was either Joann's, Missouri Quilt, or Overstocks. Hope you can find them. Qualifies for free shipping!

Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue. This thread gives complete directions.

Last edited by maviskw; 02-14-2013 at 06:19 AM.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I found a u-tube demo showing a lady using them to sew the binding on by machine. Somehow she nestled a "ridge" on the wonder clip in the seam and then used a zipper foot to sew right alongside the clip on the unsewn side and the threads did not show on the other side as they were in the ditch! I was so excited and bought 2 fifty packs with my coupons at Joanns and now I can't find that demo again on u-tube - there are alot more on there but that one really was a good demo. I have used mine to hand sew on a tiny quilt and they worked great - I love them! Have also given them as presents to my quilting friends. Now I've just got to get my WIP's finished to that stage to try it on the machine!

I've not seen the wonder clips but have been given something that works great as well. During the pre Christmas retail season my DS was working at a clothing shop in the mall that had really nice metal clips on the shirts. Since the store was throwing them away as they unfolded and hung the shirts for display he asked if he could bring them home to me. They work great! And they were free to boot!
    Last edited by mom-6; 02-14-2013 at 06:43 AM.

I purchased the wonder clips awhile back and tried them while sewing on my binding. My thread kept getting caught on them so I went back to using straight pins. While working on my log cabin quilt binding, I decided to try them again. This time I didn't have any problems. Don't know what I was doing differently last time but I'm using them from now on. I still pin at the miter corners but everywhere else I use the clips. I have 150 and sometimes that's not enough if I have a couple quilts waiting to be hand sewn. Anyway, I love them and though they may be a little pricey, they're worth it. I think I waited till I found them on sale before I picked up 3-50 packs.

Suz in Iowa

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    Quote from gardnergal970: BTW...the clips are marked for the quarter inch seam.

Thanks gardnergal. No one else has told us about the marks on the Wonder Clips that let you know how far to put them on. There are three marks on the back side, for different width bindings. Also: they are flat on the bottom so that they slide effortlessly; they are so TINY and they are so CUTE; they work so well.

So why don't I use mine any more?

I found out about ELMER'S SCHOOL GLUE. On this board, of course. Google that and you will be amazed. Now I see there is a plastic tip available that can be screwed right onto the Elmer's bottle that will let you put on a thin line of glue. I forgot which site I saw it on, but it was either Joann's, Missouri Quilt, or Overstocks. Hope you can find them. Qualifies for free shipping!

Basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue. This thread gives complete directions.
    For the life of me I have not been able to fine this glue tip applicator anywhere, on line or in the stores ?????

One of the best quilting tools since the rotary cutter!!

HI dakotamaid,me too, hair clips do a great job,and so much cheaper.For anyone with little money to spend,remember there are often cheaper alternatives that work just as well, keep the spare cash for fabric !!! Love Letty

I got two boxes of 50 for Christmas, yes they are wonderful and yes they look like mini clothespins, and yes they stay put. So glad I have them!

I love the wonder clips as well. I have bought 3 boxes of them. I use them on binding and gave one each to DH and DS for holding their earbuds while exercising.

I also bought 2 packs of the jumbo ones, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

I used to use the metal ones, but always hated having to make sure they were grabbing the fabric well, plus have to "snap" them shut after removing them.

JoAnns has the Wonder Clips on sale for 50% off this weekend. I'm getting another 50. Used them to clip together home dec fabric and lining to make a banner for church ... no blood given over this project as compared with last time! When you pin a 108" heavy duty steam, it's hard to manage and not be skewered at some point.

I saw on Nancy's Notions where they're making bigger ones now. Love mine!

I like my wonder clips but expensive, was into Staples the other day and was looking for a ruler and they had all kinds of little clips there, I bought the ones that look like clothes pin and they work great they were only 2.99

I also have the Wonder Clips, bought on Amazon when they were about $20.

Used to use the hairclips but I found that they slipped and sometimes took two hands to put on. Maybe it's just me.

I prefer the Wonder Clips and clip the whole binding at one time. Once I start sewing, I don't want to stop. I used them on the miters too - three clips in each corner.

These are a wonderful invention!!! I love them. They are very strong and hold well.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I use the WonderClips for everything. If something needs to be temporarily held together its with a WonderClip!!
    i keep them in a mason jar nice and handy.

It sure beats the pin pricks!!! I love them also!!!
    There is no place like home!

Blog Entries
    I just bought some to use for binding - great tool!!

Quote Originally Posted by nonnaof5 View Post
    For the life of me I have not been able to fine this glue tip applicator anywhere, on line or in the stores ?????
    Well, Nonnaof5, I spent quite a while this evening looking for that, and can't find it. I'll beginning to doubt my sanity. Did I really see that this morning? LOL If I ever see it again, I will be sure to make a note of it, copy it, or bookmark it. I will try to PM you if I do find it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

You can use my no pin method. I fold the binding over to the back and iron a nice crisp "fold", use some steam so it's a good iron. Do this all the way around your quilt. Now the only place you will need a pin is in the mitered corners. Sometimes it helps to iron the front of the quilt if you have a "snug" fit binding.

I love mine...now I need to purchase the larger size!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast