Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Phases of quilt making

I thoroughly enjoy the piecing of the top and the quilting of the finished top. I do not enjoy the cutting or the basting.

I love it all!!! From the cutting to the piecing to the sandwiching to the free motion quilting to the binding! Oh, well maybe my least favorite is pinning and basting the quilt! My knees scream!

I enjoy the cutting (believe it or not) and the piecing. I especially like hand sewing the binding too, it's so relaxing. The part I struggle with most is the design phase. When I'm trying to be original or do something really special for someone, I labor for weeks about the design (if I have that much time to work on it). Right now I am really stuck about a photo quilt for our dear friends' 50th anniversary. I have drafted 4 designs and am still stuck. I need to complete the piece in about 7 weeks and I hope I can make a design decision soon. So that's my favorite and my least favorite phases.

I make quilts because I really enjoy the process. Every step from choosing fabric to quilting, I love them all. You will notice I didn't
    add binding. Unless I have some one to give the quilt to I lay it
    aside and work on something else. I now have 6 quilts that need
    binding, 2 baby quilts and 4 queens. But makeing a quilt is so much
    more fun than binding!

Definitely choosing the fabric and making the blocks. My enthusiasm begins to ebb as it comes times to sew the rows together and add borders.

Blog Entries
    Designing is my favorite part. Picking out the fabric is 2nd. Sometimes the main fabric comes first, and I find a design that 'goes' with it. 3rd - sewing the design together, whether it be blocks or templates for an arty quilt. I love seeing my design come together. I even like putting on the binding - and I REALLY am greatful to Sharon Schamber for making that so much faster and easier!

My LEAST favorite part is cutting - probably because of my back issues. You don't have to start telling me about ergonomics: I have my cutting table at the right height; I have an Ott light; I ALWAYS put a new blade in my rotary cutter; I have a thick yoga mat under my feet; I wear good sneakers; I go to my chiropractor regularly. My neurologist agrees with him that I'm doing all the right things.

I don't know if I can choose a favorite, but I'd rather not have to cut. I still do it because I just don't get the point of pre-cut fabrics. That's just me, and I know some of you make beautiful quilts with the jelly rolls and layer cakes and what not. So if I have to choose a favorite, I'd say everything except cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I love all of it except the binding. The quilting is probably my favorite. I also like to cut a lot. I really envy those of you that absolutely love binding. I wish I did, and probably would if I could sew by hand. I enjoyed embroidery immensely, but since my hand surgery my hands still go to sleep.
    Hey if you lived close I'd do your bindings. I have a friend that doesn't like the binding part, and every so often I get a Joann's gift card.

At each stage I wonder why I like doing this, but it's like an obsession to stay with it and get to the next step and see what that looks like. Binding is my least favorite, I think because I pretty much know what it looks like by then. I love to hand quilt and get lots of therapy time at that stage.

I love it all, from spending hours on this board, looking for material on line in a million stores, designing, cutting isn't my favorite since I have carpel tunnel like I'm sure a lot of you do, but I like getting it cut out, piecing, and then trying to do something besides stich-in-the ditch, since that is all I can really do on my machine. Love the finished project. Love giving them as gifts. But periodicaly I have to stop cutting, piecing, and get the quilting done. I have 8 quilts at the moment to quilt (still hoping DH says ok, go buy a new machine).I have nothing cut out, but I do have patterns in my head and fabric just sitting on my table waiting for me.

Blog Entries
    My favorite is piecing the blocks on the quilt top.

I really enjoy the piecing part. I just love sitting down to my sewing machine and sewing out the pattern.

Once I get the fabric picked out I wanna cut and sew, sew, sew.

I enjoy piecing the best and cutting out the least.

I enjoy seeing the blocks come together, and also knowing I am closer to putting the finishing touches on a project.

Blog Entries
    I'm still trying to get used to machine quilting as I have hand quilted for years. I find machine quilting sacrilegious because it takes so little time to make a quilt. Trying to get used to a new idea.

I enjoy piecing the blocks the most. I love to see the quilt start coming together.

Power Poster
    Block making and everything that follows.

I love the whole process Each quilt is a journey, and each phase a stop along the way.

I like the planning stage - figuring out what I want to make, picking a color palette, pulling from stash and searching for fabric.
    I don't so anything until I am 100% sure of what I want. I still have many groups of fabric waiting for projects....

Dee
    I have fun with the whole thing except the mitering corners. Seems to be problem. However the tute and the tool I now bought hope will end the nitemare.

I like the whole process but my fave is piecing

How nicely put!

I LOVE hand quilting. I'm learning to piece & machine quilt. I have so many ideas that there's no way I would be able to hand quilt 'em all. I like borders & bindings. I just don't like preparing the fabric...ie... Washing ...Ironing... & cutting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Fondling the fabric! And when the finished quilt comes out of the dryer. Those are my favorite parts.
    My favorite part is also the 'fresh out of the dryer' new quilt too! I just love seeing how the quilt 'blooms' from being laundered. Am I just goofy, or do others wait for that moment too?

I love most phases of quilting, but I like doing the binding because I'm pretty confident about my abilities there and can expect a good outcome most of the time, and it means my quilt is almost done--except for the BIG reward, taking it out of the dryer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast