Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Favorite quilt?

Blog Entries
    I love the Sawtooth Star. It is so rewarding to have star blocks have all of the points showing, and this pattern does allow that, after some practice.
    I am making a Quilt of Valor with this pattern. After 4-5 blocks, I am doing well having all of the points on the stars, and making a block in about 30 minutes. That is important, as it takes quite a lot of blocks for the size quilt they require.
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndysC View Post
    I am working my way towards making my first "real quilt". I am hoping you have something stuck away in your files that will inspire me. I have nothing but time, so difficult is not a problem. What is your favorite?
    so many out there! You could look at you tube Missouri Star Quilt company for some ideas from Jenny. I have done a number of hers and really liked how easy and fast they go together.
    quilting with my dogs

If this is going to be your first "real quilt", I'd go with some beautiful fabric and an easy pattern--maybe stars, maybe just bordered squares with sashing, etc. You say that difficult isn't a problem because you have plenty of time, but if you've never done one before, what you lack is experience. Are you an experienced seamstress? There is a world of difference between garment sewing and sewing quilts. But if you are the type who tackles the hardest first, then have fun!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My all time favorite quilt is a star quilt. Then I love the sampler quilts.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I did a Bow Tie quilt last year red/black /white I think it has to be my favorite quilt pattern. It is the one I love for a topper on my bed
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Quote Originally Posted by AndysC View Post
    I am working my way towards making my first "real quilt". I am hoping you have something stuck away in your files that will inspire me. I have nothing but time, so difficult is not a problem. What is your favorite?
    Baltimore, wonderfull, mine is in the picture gallery on here, a complete joy to make.

Trip around the World (there are so many arrangement possibilities) and fussy cut attic windows are two of my vintage favorites.

Bento Box! (my avatar). I always recommend this to new quilters. It's such a fun pattern - looks difficult but is actually easy and depending on the fabric can look modern or traditional and could be scrappy too.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    www.frommyhearttoyourhands.com My favorite quilt is a Lori Smith design called Patchwork Sampler. Instructions are simple and easy to follow; each block is a different pattern; the blocks are different sizes; and I did mine scrappy. The block patterns are simple ones that look complicated due to color placement and you just can't get bored as you are not repeating the same pattern over and over. I used civil war reproduction fabrics and had an awesome time with choosing the colors/fabric design for each block - and I can't begin to describe how much fun it was to decide which blocks went where on my layout. Best of luck finding just the right pattern for your first "real" quilt.
    Jan

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Lover Grandma View Post
    I love them Jan. You do very good work.
    Just to be clear, the log cabin pics I posted are from this board and/or the internet, not my personal quilts. They were posted as suggestions of what the curved log cabin can do.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Jacob's Ladder is one of my favorites.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

In my case, it isn't the pattern or color so much as the quilt's history. In 1990, I made a sampler star quilt for my parents as a surprise Christmas gift. I sewed every stitch by hand. They loved it and it was a permanent "fixture" in their bedroom except during hot summer months. After my Dad passed, my Mom gave up housekeeping and went into an assisted living facility. The quilt went with her and brightened up her room and she proudly told them the story of me making it for them. After Mom passed, I brought it back home here. It sometimes is on the guest room bed and other times, it's on our bed. It has faded some but knowing the joy and coziness it provided both my parents, makes it my favorite quilt.

Blog Entries
    If it is to be your first quilt a Sampler might be the go because you can learn a different technique with each block. Check out Quilter"s Cache. There are many blocks and instructions as well. Happy Quilting.
    PS Don't forget to ask here if you have any problems.

yes the storm at sea bargello is beautiful

I just love log cabins; so many variations. Hunter's Star done in scrappy colors is beautiful too.

Friendship star,Churn Dash,Log Cabin

Blog Entries
    Storm at Sea is an excellent quilt for a beginner - you have to match a lot of lines, but it's not really difficult otherwise. The payoff is a wonderful optical illusion of circles despite all lines being straight.

Jan's pictures of off-center Log Cabins are wonderful. Log Cabins are among the simplest of quilts to make. And you can play with the finished blocks forever to decide how you want the finished quilt to look.

Have fun with whatever you decide! And take pictures to show us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2