Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Feeling better about PP, but still having some discouragement

I'm with the others -- you picked an intermediate pattern. But I LOVE the pattern and LOVE your choice of fabrics! It should be beautiful!

1) --slow down -- go slow and yes, have the alignment checked

2) -- always leave all the paper on until you have the whole quilt made. :) it helps keep it from warping.

3) -- Accept the fact that you're going to take stitches out -- at least once per block :)

4) -- don't give up --- you're doing GREAT!

I think it looks great. But I will tell you, even though I love things to be made fast, I was tired of my pp coming out wonky too. So, I started doing it by hand sewing. Especially when there are loads of small pieces that don't seem to me worth sewing on the machine. I love doing it by hand now. Everything has come out more accurate and I am actually enjoying the quiet time sitting in front of the tv with dh! Normally I have to spend house in my art room while sewing!
    For everything else, it's still the machine for me!

Blog Entries
    i love that block!

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    you are doing great. they are kinda hard and depending on your printer they could be off just a hair on the printing. I have done two of these blocks and they are not perfect also but that is okay.
    here is a link to the one that I am working on now. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-151323-1.htm
    Wow! What beauties! Love the linked one as well. The border is just gorgeous!
    I can see I have a LOT to learn...lol

Lovely pattern and love your colors.

This is hilarious...I opened your post to see what you were working on and saw the exact pattern that I've been piecing today! Regarding the problem you're having matching points when joining blocks, another poster had the right of it...use pins and ease in the fullness between design segments. Don't use just any straight pins, use 22 or finer...these will actually run under your sewing needle without any problems whatsoever. I know a lot of women don't use pins, but I've been sewing for 30 years and never had any problems (as long as you use the super fine pins...larger will break your needle and throw your machine timing off). BTW, I remove the paper before I join the blocks together, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is me green with envy!!!!

Very pretty...love it!

Great block. DEB

Can't help with PP (it is on my to-learn list) but your block is beautiful even with a couple off-points and I love your colors. Piece on!!! More power to you!

I'd say that you did remarkably well for a first PP block. Keep at it and before you know it, you will have perfect points and seams that line up perfectly. One thing I have noticed is when putting two sections together, it helps to take the seam allowance paper off, allowing better alignment without the bulk of the two pieces of paper added into the seam.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alderdweller
    After several attempts and frankly thinking I was too dumb to EVER get it, I finally succeeded in getting a paper pieced block done! Yay me!
    Toward the end, it did start to get easier and I wasn't having to wrestle mentally with each stitch.
    However, I am still having problems following exactly on the lines, and I feel this very slight difference has caused my points and seams to still be a little off.
    I am sewing on my new (old) kenmore and for whatever reason, the needle does not follow the middle of the foot. I *think* this is causing me to sew slightly to the left of where I need to be. I'm gonna drag out my manuel and see if another foot might fix that problem.
    Tips are appreciated. Thanks!
    THAT IS JUST DEVINE KEEP PRACTICING

Blog Entries
    It's lovely! Your fabric choices and placement are gorgeous. Remember, it's all a learning curve. What's important is that you tried, you did it, and soon it will be done. Enjoy your quilting journey.

It may not be perfect, but it sure looks good to me!! Practice will help. Have fun with it!! :thumbup:

I have an open toe and it also is clear plastic foot for my Kenmore so that I can get a great view of where the needle is stitching.

VERY nice!

Well at least I know I'm not totally crazy! I researched my older Kenmore online and found out that it has the super-high shank foot. The needle is positioned to the left of the center of foot. The only way you can get it center is put it on zig zag stitch.
    Wow...and I just love this machine! Haven't sewn on it much since I got it recently at Salvation Army.
    You can get an attachment online to be able to use low shank foot, but I still don't think it would align the needle center like I want it to.
    Oh well, it's either back to my trusty old Singer, or learn to look only at the needle and not be distracted by the center of the foot. Not impossible, but an adjustment mentally for me :)

Very pretty block, things get easier and better the more often you perform this action. It does require a different way of thinking, sometimes overthinking the proces. Great first block.

you ought to be able to move the needle to another position

Fantastic block. Wish my work looked that good. You go girl! Happy Quilting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alderdweller
    No, I didn't keep the paper on while joining. I pieced it in 4 sections and then pulled paper off and joined. Should I be leaving the paper on then join the 4 pieces?

(sorry, in reply to a question above)
    I use an open-toed foot and always leave the paper on until done.

One tip -- to align the seams, use a pin at the point and follow through to the other point on the other piece -- does that make sense?

Same tip when matching points when quilting. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Don't sweat the small stuff. It is really good.

Great block.....my first ones were not perfect, don't give up. Love your fabrics :)

Blog Entries
    PP still takes precision to put all the pieces together. You are doing a great job!!! :thumbup:

Gorgeous colors!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast