Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fess up...do you own any quilts bought from a store or catalog or tv shopping?

I'm raising my hand here. I have four queen-sized pieced quilts that I bought when I worked at a major department store. After special sale, double coupon day and employee discount, I paid only $15 for them. They're in intricate patterns I would never be able to accomplish. Also, I get bored after making anything larger than a lap quilt.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Oh i forgot. i bought a quilt decades ago, before i started quilting. i paid over $300.00 for it, i remember that!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I have a couple of store bought quilts in the closet.. They are way too stiff.. I use a down comforter most of the year.. and a wool blanket in duvet covers..

Yes, I bought 3 in the spring on clearance for $13 and change each at Target. All 3 are king size and the original price was $89 and change each. Just couldn't pass them up for that price. All 3 are being used, 1 by me and 2 by 2 of my kids.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I bought one almost 20 yrs. ago when we moved to this house. J.C. Penney catalog, I believe. Also purchased a matching wallpaper border at the same time. Loved them both. That was long before I ever attempted any quilt making of my own.
    Mavis

Only doonas (comforters) and now the doona covers are getting thin I'm just replacing them with homemade quilts/covers. I do have some blankets for the sofas (to protect the leather from paws), but as they disintegrate (literally) I am replacing them with waggas/quilts (waggas are Aussie quilts made from remnant clothing).

Okay - true confession - I have purchased premade quilts (2) and re-quilted them.....and/or repaired them...they just spoke to me and I answered - one I have on spare room bed - other my daughter grabbed immediately after I got them done - used their quilting as basting and removed as I hand quilted

I do have a dark blue and cream quilt I bought in Kohl's a few years ago for our queen sized bed. For several years I have had plans to make a quilt for our bed but there is always someone else who needs a quilt so it's been put off time and time again.

We have 2 other bedrooms, one with a twin bed and the other with a double sized bed, and I'm happy to say they both have quilts on them that I have made.

I bought one quilt for my bed as I have many, many tops to quilt. I do a lot of quilts to donate and quilt them but none for my house. I purchased a mid arm and hope to learn how to use it and then quilt the tops I have made. I usually do FMQ on all other quilts.

"No! No! A Thousand Times, No!" Betty Boop

Blog Entries
    Yes I do. But they're from my pre-quilting days. Or at least when I was on hiatus.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    over 40 in my house...and proud to say not one is store bought!

I have two....

Both on my bed. The one I sleep with is my binkie. Has my drool and everything on it...........LOL
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

No store bought quilts here, although we have several comforters. The queen quilt in the guest room is the first one I ever made and the one on the stand in the hall I made last year. Still don't have one for our king size bed, but may make something eventually.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    Yep, bought a quilt from Wal-mart for my bed. Can't let the animals trash my hand work which probably in fabric alone cost more than the "Better Homes" quilt

Blog Entries
    I do buy quilts at Dollar General , paid $35.00 for a king size , used it for 15 years . Faded fast but useable. BOught one from a home thingie catalog, pd . $165.00 for a king size, when I got it the stitches were long enough to hang yourself in. Call and complained and ended up paying $30.00 for it. Quite a mark up , huh ???? The expensive one lasted about 2 years. Not going there again. Dollar General stopped carrying them so that source is dried up too. So I'll just go back to yard sales , goodwill , Savers. Who cares ? Not me as long as they do the job. hehehe
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

I have so many quilts. Handmade or store bought, if they talk to me I buy them! I have cut down on purchasing quilts since I started sewing my own, but every now and then I run across one that I just HAVE to buy!! I guess I am just an equal opportunity quilt lover.

My sentiments exactly! In fact, this 4th of July I really wanted to decorate my house for the holiday. We had 11 people here for dinner. I ended up finding a beautiful Wedding Ring queen size quilt made of red, white and blue fabrics online at a great price! I bought it intending to use it as the table cloth. After my husband saw it he said he thought it was much to nice to use on the table. I ended up agreeing with him. So I put it on the back of our sofa to enjoy. It is SO soft and the backing also has a printed fabric not just a solid. I am more than pleased with it. So I buy quilts too if they speak to me...but I really don't need anymore!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I had to laugh when I read this. I also have a quilt for my King size bed that I bought at a highend store and love it...I have yet to make a quilt that big. My husband has asked me to many times. I just hate to work with a quilt that big. The queen size quilts were not much fun either but I have done several. Someday I will do a King size and FMQ it on my sewing machine. I refuse to pay someone to FMQ it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    for almost 5 years people who i gave quilts to would ask...'so, what is YOUR quilt like?'...i would (sheepishly) tell them the quilt that lived on my bed was one i paid $300 for from Pottery Barn...
    i love that quilt!
    i have finally replaced it with one i've made- actually have 3 i've made for my bed- but i still have that Pottery Barn quilt too.
    my hubby didn't think i would ever get around to making US a quilt- it bothered him much more than it bothered me

I have been quilting since 1975. all of my 4 children, have quilts on their beds I made, so do my 10 grandchildren, and my 2 great grand children. They have wall hangings, tablerunners, pillows and in most cases at least 2 quilts. I do not have a quilt I made on my bed. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought one. but thats ok. I would'nt have it any other way!

Blog Entries
    My first quilt I bought was for my bed, saw it and liked it. The second quilt I bought was from a house sale bought it
    for $5.00 the husband told me to get out of the house before his wife came home pillow sham incl. twin size .
    Using it now. I guess there was a controversy between them, my luck.

A while back I saw one that I wished I had bought. It was a western theme with a big star embroidered along with barb wire embroidery et. Couldn't bring myself to get it but I still wish I had. It was like a wholecloth with machine embroidery all over it. King size.

Wow..that does sound lovely. Have you tried to google it and see if you can "find" one like it?
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I actually have three lap-size quilts that were commercially made. They were all give to me many years ago as Christmas presents by a former employer (or rather, by his wife) and they are all Christmas oriented. One has angels, one has a nativity scene, and the third one is a country-type sampler with our family name embroidered in the center. They only get brought out at Christmas and usually end up just draped over a chair. The workmanship is not great on any of them and, although I've never looked for a tag, they're probably "made in China". But they've become a part of our Christmas decorating tradition and I think my family would feel something was missing if we didn't bring them out every year.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Blog Entries
    In 1988 we bought 5 thick, American style quilts in Korea. Almost all 5 were used constantly during the winter months from 1988 to 2005. Now they are brought down from the closet to be used when guests visit us in the winter. They are still in good shape. I have a lot of appreciation for those quilts. They kept my family warm.

The quilts that I make are important too. They are made with love. My family appreciates the time and effort that goes in to making quilts for them.
    Kathyj

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast