Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fess up...do you own any quilts bought from a store or catalog or tv shopping? >

Fess up...do you own any quilts bought from a store or catalog or tv shopping?

Fess up...do you own any quilts bought from a store or catalog or tv shopping?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 PM

I have 2 quilts my grandmother made about 1930 and one I bought in an antique store that looks older. I have a baby quilt my mother made in 1930 that is absolutely worn out that I've kept for the pattern and a hand embroidered satin quilt top made in the 1920's that I might send to a LA someday.
I have given all of mine away.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Nope, no 'company' made quilts here...but I do have three down comforters from The Company Store that I use much of the year, sometimes all together.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:21 PM

I have one I bought on my bed. I promised myself this year I will make one just for me. I have 3 more family ones to make first though. I just spent 5 days in the hospital (the old ticker is trying to wind down) but guess God isn't finished with me yet. So God willing and the creek don't rise, I hope to get all my quilting done.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:23 PM

I have several -- a whole cloth quilt for our summer bed that I got on sale (DH lies on the top of the bed with shoes -- 40+ years and he hasn't changed) and he would (and has) pulled out the stitching of anything in pieces. Also have a couple for a cabin we had -- just to get us up and running with bed coverings -- and they are starting to come apart.

I bought a cathedral window's quilt a bit ago -- I love them but know I would never make one (but it is handmade).

Everytime I finish something for me I wind up giving it away. Sigh.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 PM

I have "bedspreads" and a few misc. woven blankets that are store bought, but no quilts. I am privileged to own about a dozen very warm handmade quilts from my grandmother that we use all winter so I've never needed to buy one! Her quilts are so thick - wool piecing on top, thick layer of batting and then flannel backing, all tied with yarn. Thick, heavy, sooooo warm and toasty!! I bought the thinner woven blankets because you'll die under one of grandma's quilts if you try to use it in the summer! LOL
Old 07-09-2012, 01:27 PM

I have a few queen sized quilts that I bought from Tuesday Morning. I never made anything that large yet.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:06 PM

I've been thinking about it...during the 31 years of our marriage the closest thing to store bought I've ever had was a cheater quilt made from pre-quilted fabric that I had to hem, just before I started quilting back in 1983. I have given away so many quilts I have lost count, but still all my rooms are full of quilts I have made myself. I really wish I had started a quilt journal all those years ago...
Old 07-09-2012, 02:30 PM

I have a queen size, hand quilted (in china or somewhere in asia) blue and pink Double Wedding Ring plus shams that I bought before I started quilting. Unfortunately it had to be washed (several times) because the dog kept getting up on it and peed. It popped so many seams that it would be more work to fix than it would be worth to me. I will be giving it to Goodwill soon as I get ready to move next year. I now use one I made from a Joann BOM kit, my first large quilt. I have others planned for our bedroom but they will have to wait until I have sewing space in the new house.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:36 PM

I've got a comfortor that came in one of those bed-in-a-bag from KMart. Folded at the foot is my favorite tee shirt quilt that I roll up in every chance I get.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Yep sure do, I've 3 that are store bought and in the closet.