Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fess up...how much do you spend a month on fabric, supplies, etc. >

fess up...how much do you spend a month on fabric, supplies, etc.

fess up...how much do you spend a month on fabric, supplies, etc.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:27 AM

Sewjoyce- I too gained weight over the last year..so you are not alone. I justify my quilting spending as it being a safe hobby. Depending on the month and what project I have in mind, I spend probably $100-$300 a month...and for Mother's Day I got a gift card for fabric, so that is as good as spent too.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I have to go on a fabric diet for awhile, I have no room for more unless I start cramming it in Rubbermaid bins and finding a place for those. I have enough to start any project and I may have to buy a few fat quarters for added color now and then. I started saving all my scraps and that is another can of worms I need to open real soon.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:36 AM

Confessing?!? :oops:

Now I am just starting out (or have been for the last ten months) . . . so I needed to stock up and I am a little OCD. I also found out that shopping for quilting supplies is actually easier than the actual quilting.

I think I now have every notion known to woman :oops: and such and I am not exaggerating when I say I have at least 1000, yep, 1000 yards of fabric in my two walk-in closets. That sounds like a lot OCD, doesn't it. :lol:

So my plan is to stick to less than $100 month from now on. Or I might just give up and sell my stuff on ebay. :wink:
Old 05-10-2009, 08:50 AM

I have to say 50-100.
My biggest problem is working part time in a fabric store. It's very tempting to buy everything in sight. Unfortunately, this second job was not supposed to be to fuel my hobby, it was supposed to be to pay off debt and save for our wedding. So, while I do spend more now than before I started working there, I get lots of stuff for next to nothing, and that's hard to pass up.

AND, I bought a new sewing machine in February... :roll:
Old 05-10-2009, 10:19 AM

All I can say for sure is ALOT!!! To much, more than I'll probably ever be able to use in a lifetime, no better make that 9 lifetimes!!. But ofcourse no matter what I already have its never the right piece for what I need then and ofcourse I always buy more than a project calls for because I make tomany mistakes cutting and I don't want to run short.
I took a class last weekend, fusible applique and spent over 150.00 then because they gave us a great discount that day, then just when I got done shopping for that, I remember I had another class starting this weekend so I spent another 70.00 on it. We won't mention what I'd spent in there just a couple weeks before for a mystery quilt we're doing. It should suffice to say that I've done more than my share to keep them in business for another month!!
Muriel
Oh yeah, I'm going to have to shopping for backing one of these days for these 3 projects that are now in the works. I do have a bolt of batting downstairs so I think I'm o.k. on that for awhile. Geesh
Old 05-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Definitely under $50 monthly. In the past year all I've bought is batting 2 or 3 meters at a time. Other than that I make do and can keep myself busy for some time. It helps that I work to the beat of my own drummer and like the challenge of making use of what I have, rather than spending money. Love to talk and share quilting ideas but hate shopping. It is far easier to buy what you perceive you need than tweak design decisions to make them work.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:13 AM

well, it's like this: i used to smoke and i was a heavy smoker (2 packs a day), therefore a carton just lasted me 5 days - so that would be 6 cartons a month at $40.00/carton, any way u look at it, that's $240.00 a month. so i justify my fabric spending, saying heck, i'm just spending my "cigarette" money. I just quit last year on June 8th after smoking for 50 plus years. so if any of yall want to quit smoking, just pm me and i'll tell you what philosophy i used to quit.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Maribeth
Confessing?!? :oops:

Now I am just starting out (or have been for the last ten months) . . . so I needed to stock up and I am a little OCD. I also found out that shopping for quilting supplies is actually easier than the actual quilting.
That is so true! Between buying fabric, washing fabric, reorganizing fabric, making lists of things to make and remaking those lists, reading about quilting, I spend less time quilting! hmm...maybe I ought to rethink this...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

I went to Beverly's yesterday to pick up a spool of red Star thread. $157 later - I don't know whether I should laugh or cry.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

50 to 100 sounds about right. On a good month when I have lots of new quilts starting it may be closer to 200. Oh well, keeps me in line.