Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First completed Whole Cloth Practice quilt using New Baby >

First completed Whole Cloth Practice quilt using New Baby

First completed Whole Cloth Practice quilt using New Baby

Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Default First completed Whole Cloth Practice quilt using New Baby

Early this month, my DH completed our long arm quilting set up. I posted this thread about the set up and was thrilled with the responses. In case you missed it, here is the link to it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...d-t243621.html

Many of the QB members asked for me to post my progress in learning to LAQ. I just completed my first practice whole cloth that I was using to learn some of the skills required to do this. Although I have a long way to go, here is the first completed "practice" quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]469061[/ATTACH]

The left side of the cloth is where I began and the right side is where I ended. I would appreciate any comments on this. And, do you feel there is any improvement. All is done free hand EXCEPT the one feather set up toward the top left that appears very dark. The picture is not so great but I wanted to ask your thoughts. You ladies are sew talented and I really value your opinion. GOD Bless and thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails practice-1-6.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 04:42 AM

well i think you are doing great and yes i can see an improvement. keep up the great work
Old 03-27-2014, 04:44 AM

I am not a LAQ, so my comments are purely as an observer. From the left to the right side I definitely see improvement-greater confidence shows, you are "really beginning to get the hang of it" in how to move it. One thing I have heard over and over on quilt shows featuring a long armer, is relax the "death grip". I even heard one say she kept seeing spots and would have to sit down, then she realized she kept holding her breath when she started stitching! So many tutorials and long arm groups online to help you, you're going to do great, happy for you!
Old 03-27-2014, 04:50 AM

yes I can see improvement.I hint for you-get a dry erase board to practice feathers and anything else you want and then go to a practice quilt-saves on batting and thread
Old 03-27-2014, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

i'd say you are doing fantastic for just starting out
Old 03-27-2014, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I definitely see improvement. I agree with Wolph on dry erase board or plain old paper and pencil to practice. Also there is absolutely no shame in premarking! I do it, Karen McTavish does it, many, many award winning quilters to it.

When doing feathers, I find I can only go in one direction. From base of the spine up to the top. I can quilt or draw them in any orientation, vertical, horizontal, diagonal, on a curve, facing left, facing right but I have to always do it from the "bottom" of the spine (even if the feather is upside down and my bottom is at the top when looking at it) and work my way up. So if you find you are the same way, that is fine, just practice it facing different direction

You have it much harder than us LAers because you have such a limited space to work in so you have to teach yourself to quilt based on that limitation. However, a bit of premarking or reference dots on your quilt top you will be able to churn out some beautifully custom done quilts in no time. I think after a year or so with your lavender love, you will be itching to find something with a bigger throat. Seeing as your DH is such a whiz with the vintage machines, you should keep your eye out for one. I know there are vintage LA Singers out there, or even the industrial singers have a bigger throat on them.

I think you are ready to try an actual quilt top. Put one on that isn't so important to you. My first real quilt, I hated the top so didn't care if I ruined it. It turned out really nice, mostly because I didn't care about it so wasn't stressing that the quilting turn out great.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:47 AM

I can see improvement too! You're definitely getting the hang of it. I'm totally jealous, even that practice quilt looks like it was fun to do! Congrats on your new toy, and on your growing new skills!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

You're getting better. You might pick up some tips from looking through Lori Kennedy's Tuesday Tutorials. Her site is http://www.theinboxjaunt.com/ It really helps me to work along a line or within an area rather than a blank piece of fabric.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I think you have " the knack" for it. You are able to repeat a design consistently and the shapes are graceful.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

Looks good to me.