Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Quilt >

First Quilt

First Quilt

Old 06-14-2020, 01:30 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If you want to purchase your own fabric for the Ultimate Beginner Quilt, here is a link to the fabric requirements.

https://blog.fatquartershop.com/begi...ilt-sew-along/

Don’t be too discouraged by the bad experience with a who knows who purchase from Amazon. There are many reputable shops online that sell quality fabric. I do encourage you to look at Thousand of Bolts. And Missouri Star Quilt Company. And Jordan fabric. Any e-quilters. And quilt in a day. And many more.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by glasqlts View Post
I hav2 bought kits from Connecting threads and found them to be very generous with their fabrics.
I have purchased kits from Coonecting Threads as well. I love their fabric. They provide more than enough fabric to complete the quilt. The patterns depend on the designers. Some are more difficult to follow than others.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:44 PM

KrisB, Thank you for the Fat Quarter link and videos. This beginner quilt definitely looks like a winner, especially with the video tutorials. As my funds are limited for the next four months due to the sewing machine purchase, I can only deal with one fabric company. So it looks like it is between "Connecting Threads", and "Fat Quarter Shop". Both have good things for someone like myself.

cgsumter, Yes, "Connecting Threads" looks very good.

Presently I am taking the time, based on comments and suggestions here, to process my 2.5 x 40 inch fabric from "Connecting Threads" before using it. I found that using a washing machine and electric dryer to be detrimental to small pieces of cut cotton fabric. So , having a very deep kitchen sink, I hand washed the 40 strips, then hung them over my indoor drying rack. I am presently pressing, and removing all the lint and stray threads from the strips. This task is very time consuming, and I guess that is why the video from"Fat Quarters Shop" said it wasn't a recommended step for beginners. I do like the idea of using spray starch to stiffen up the fabric to make it easier to handle. I may try that on the next batch of fabric..
Old 06-14-2020, 03:45 PM

I also have bought kits from Connecting Threads. They provide plenty of fabric in their kits.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:48 PM

I finally finished ironing and recutting the fabric I goofed on. I decided to do a trial piece, to see if I could actually sew straight.

Needless to say, I had to sew one section twice, as for some reason I could not hold the piece straight while sewing.

I did trim this slightly to remove the tiny uneven bits. Those were mostly less than 1/16 of an inch

Here's a picture of my first ever attempt at making a block. Sorry for the terrible picture. I still cannot figure out how to focus this camera inside of four feet or so.

I still need to add a one inch wide strip on the short side when I finally get some black material
Attached Thumbnails first-block-small.jpg  
Old 06-16-2020, 11:07 PM

Those zigzagged edges are made using pinking shears.They are called pinked edges. I agree about not washing precut fabric. I don't buy precuts at all. I bought several fat quarters when I was first starting out, but have found I like buying yardage instead now.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:53 AM

I have been a customer of Connecting Threads for several years and have been very satisfied with them.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:38 AM

I agree that precut fabric is out for myself. You lose too much fabric when washing, though I may try the starch method for preparation. I will still purchase one kit for hopefully a pleasant experience making a quilt.

It's a toss up between "Fat Quarters", Connecting Threads, and possibly "Thousand Bolts" when I do start purchasing fabric by the yard. My biggest problem is storage. Right now everything I own for quilting is atop my kitchen table. I would kind of like to have a place where I have a table dedicated to my sewing machine, and cutting and ironing requirements. And I would still need some kind of cabinets with drawers that can hold all the fiddly things you need for the pastime, as well as somewhere to store all that fabric
Old 06-17-2020, 05:54 AM

I'm a big believer in prewashing but don't like dealing with the jellyroll strips. The layer cake/10" square size isn't any big deal to throw a few in a lingerie bag and wash with like colors in the regular wash. Something in me snapped though and I recently bought 3 different jellyrolls and now I need to figure out what to do with them... I used to be very precise and fussy with my quilting and cutting and found that I couldn't rely on proper cutting from others, even machines didn't always meet my expectations (like with the pinked edges). I'm really better off not buying precuts, but these were so pretty and on sale!

In a small space something like a desk works well when you want to be set up most of the time, also look at basic old school sewing cabinets. They were popular for many reasons! Back in the day they even had storage under the seat of the chair. If your machine didn't come with a case, look at getting one. I like a hard case for various reasons, or at least throw a light towel over it to keep the dust off during periods of inactivity.

I know you are getting some sticker shock on the price of things, check out Koala Cabinets for example. They are lovely but out of my price range, my price range is more like $20 and requires the use of sandpaper and I have to consider that it is the hubby and I who have to move whatever it is...

Nowadays we have those nice stacking plastic container things, some of which have a stand and wheels even. I have metal racks like you get at Costco (not just coincidence) that I store my boxes of fabrics on, but I have a room dedicated to my sewing needs. For a long time all I had was a box or a drawer or two. It can be done in minimal space.

If you don't already have things stored under your bed (and if you can store things under it), that can be a great place for quilt related things. Back when I had to take down/put up my stuff, I really loved my sweater drying rack for my strips of fabric as I as sewing. Something like this and it is light weight and folds down:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can...tural/17108600

Old 06-17-2020, 08:24 AM

Iceblossom, Already have a drying rack I had had stored in my shed for years. It worked very well for the jelly roll strips.

I'm going to try to find one of those put it together yourself type cabinets made out of the pressed wood. They seem to be fairly inexpensive, or were the last time I looked. I am still looking for some kind of table that is about 60 inches long and 24 inches wide. I think a folding table might be the right choice. And then, when I can afford things, I can get some kind of small drawer thing similar to a night stand for underneath it for all the little things. Big cabinet would be for fabric

Last year before I went into the hospital for open heart surgery, I got rid of my big bed, and opted for a long twin that had electric powered tilt for the head and legs. Kind of like a hospital bed. I knew I probably wouldn't be able to handle moving the big monster, so got that little one. Unfortunately, the way the little one is designed, the legs are in the way for any kind of storage.

Things will come together slowly, Will take a year or so to get everything needed. Probably just in time for my inheritors to fight over everything. ;-)